Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Budget boat for Lake Erie 22ft-29ft Suggestions? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/308639-budget-boat-lake-erie-22ft-29ft-suggestions.html)

c_deezy 02-20-2014 10:05 AM

I personally boated out of Toledo for 7 years prior to last year, with a 24 degree, 24 foot, 5200 pound boat. I racked at Pier 75, and there were very few days I couldn't go out when I wanted to. My typical spots were downtown at The Docks, Woodtick, Clamdiggers or Anchor Point, occasionally ran up to Detroit or LSC. The last couple of years I used to run to the islands just about every week or weekend, you just have to be flexible in case it gets big on your way back or wait it out until it lays down. There are also plenty of little marinas along the way over to the islands you can duck into if need be (Oak Harbor, Turtle Point, and even Long Beach Lagoon but it is private I think).

You can do everything you want with your budget in a 24 degree deep vee boat at the very west end of the lake, just be patient and the find the right boat for you. Like has already been said if you can find a 272 or 292 Formula that is in good condition/no rot those would be the ticket. Personally I would like to find a Formula 311 but even having spent the last summer boating mainly around the islands my little boat still does what I need it to do just fine, it's easy to tow and easy to launch.

onesickpantera 02-20-2014 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by machloosy (Post 4077303)
I don't understand why folks telling the kid to go bigger, get a loan, etc. If $15k is the budget, there are boats that fit into it that will be a blast and get it done.

I agree 100%. There's no doubt that bigger is better and twins can get you home when something breaks. But, there is still the budget that people keep forgetting about. Add to that the cost of maintenance AND the unexpected repairs, that can come quick with an older boat. I personally believe that bigger isn't always better when looking at the whole picture.

You can have a lot of fun in a smaller single. More fun that looking at your broken twin engine boat that you can't afford to fix sitting on the trailer!

delsol 02-20-2014 10:51 AM

I'd be going to look at this one... I don't know that boat or the owner.
But I do know that I've been in one like it that has probably got 2500 hrs on the hull and I call it the Timex. Been in 10 fters with it in Erie -- going real slow -- but not worried.

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/boa/4314895969.html

Again good luck, and have fun. the search and purchase is more fun than the ownership!

PARADOX 02-20-2014 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by onesickpantera (Post 4077948)
I agree 100%. There's no doubt that bigger is better and twins can get you home when something breaks. But, there is still the budget that people keep forgetting about. Add to that the cost of maintenance AND the unexpected repairs, that can come quick with an older boat. I personally believe that bigger isn't always better when looking at the whole picture.

You can have a lot of fun in a smaller single. More fun that looking at your broken twin engine boat that you can't afford to fix sitting on the trailer!

Amen to that. I had more "relaxing" time when I went out on my old Formula or take the Infinity out a few times. Taking the Avanti with the twin 525's and labbed props, it's almost stressful. One little bitty nick in the prop. $500+. Some motor issues and I dread the repair costs, even if it's minor. Constant checking for the damn CMI leaks, leak downs, comp test. the "preventive" maintenance on the "blue" (sort of thoroughbreds motors) are just out right crazy. Yesssss it's awesome to go crazy and handle rough seas, but for normal weekend outings and just for fun on the water.... I rather take something that I can just have a good time in and not worry about the cost of operating or owning an expensive"thoroughbred". As soon as I sell the Avanti,, I'm buying a canoe. :)

nate2587 02-20-2014 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by diesel30 (Post 4077929)
I've got a '96 checkmate 220 convincor with a 454 mag mpi and a bravo one drive that's gonna be going up for sale right around april. Has trim tabs, drop down bolsters, and a kick ass stereo that I put in last lear. Clarion head unit jl audio m400 amp and 4 jl audio m880's. boat is a solid 9 out of a 10. riding on a tandem axle aluminum trailer. this is 100% turn key. Has always been stored covered. Only time it sat in water over night last year was @ cumberland for the poker run. Will top out @ 69 on gps with a 25p mirage on it. Gas isn't too bad on it if you're cruising. thru hull exhaust, steering stabilizer, cuddy will sleep 2 very comfortably if need be. has two covers. I can throw up some picks if you are interested. I'm gonna ask 16k but will take 14 for it. Would be a great boat for the rivers and lakes. Might be a bit dicey in the open water of erie. you'd probably never really lose money on it if you ever go to sell it. Let me know if you're interested.

Looking for something a little bit bigger but Thank you

88bullet 02-20-2014 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by machloosy (Post 4077303)
I don't understand why folks telling the kid to go bigger, get a loan, etc. If $15k is the budget, there are boats that fit into it that will be a blast and get it done. A lot of guys have mentioned the older nova's, formula's, occasional checkmates, etc. And those things can be had for the money he is talking. A 28 cig IS going to feel a 4ft washing machine in the great lakes. I think a guy with some seat time can run well in both a 272 sbc/alpha formula and a 24ft bbc baja. Again we all know the bigger boat spans waves better, but the guy has to start somewhere! :angry-smiley-038: Isn't that why there's the phrase "young backs"?

Nate, find the best quality 272SR-1 or Oiutlaw 24 you can, and go tear it up. Remember cash in hand works miracles. An 18K formula quickly becomes a 15K one when the owner is presented with cash. A few folks on here have told you about their, or friends boats for sale in your price range. I'm sure that convincor earlier would be willing to go for 14-15. And many folks have vouched for the boat. Get in surveyed, then give the man his money and enjoy the hell out of your first go fast!

cus there was just a beatuiful cigarette 28ss in florida that was listed for 17k with twins and trs drives. on an aluminum trailer that would ride way better than any 24 baja

Full Force 02-20-2014 01:11 PM

yep, no formula or baja type will compare... FACT

Originally Posted by nate2587 (Post 4077747)
You're all about them cigs eh?

mosi 02-20-2014 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Full Force (Post 4078068)
yep, no formula or baja type will compare... FACT

Just a stupid question.......
.... Why didn't you start out with a Cig rather than that Baja or whatever came before that?

Or.... did you go from Cig to Baja and then back to Cig???

96scarab 02-20-2014 01:58 PM

Like the others said.Cash talks. (not mine)
http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...o55824-en.html

88bullet 02-20-2014 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by 96scarab (Post 4078104)
Like the others said.Cash talks. (not mine)
http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...o55824-en.html

that would be a great twin engine boat. nice low power motors. turn key, not blowing drives and cheap to fix if something did go wrong. best boat i ever had was my twin pantera. 502mpi/ bravo drives. a chevy cobalt used more fuel and the boat was so turn key user friendly it was totally awsome