Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
OT:  How far can someone swim if their life depended on it? >

OT: How far can someone swim if their life depended on it?

Notices
View Poll Results: How far could kook swim?
2 miles
17.65%
4 miles
19.61%
6 miles
9.80%
8 miles
3.92%
10 miles
49.02%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

OT: How far can someone swim if their life depended on it?

Old 08-13-2002, 09:31 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

but I bet mitch your rubber boat will keep you afloat
Old 08-14-2002, 09:31 PM
Registered

Originally posted by kook

damn! For FUN?! How long did it take him? He do it w/o a floatation device and without boarding any vessel throughout the whole ordeal? Did he train for it?

FWIW, I do not plan on training at all, above and beyond my standard routine (3x/week cardio, 2x/week lifting).
I think it took him about 10 hours. He rented a boat and had his son's switch off paddling next to him on a surfboard. He did it non stop without boarding the boat and with no flotation device.

He was a competitive swimmer that actually was selected for the olympic team when he was younger. He was in his early 40's when he did the Catalina swim. He has also swam around Alcatraz Island. Impressive, but IMO crazzy!!
Old 08-14-2002, 09:36 PM
kook

ttt

Old 08-15-2002, 12:00 AM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

will depend on the temp, water conditions and the stroke used. If you us eteh "life stroke" you can goa long time. BUT it wil take you forever. SO you will need warm water. in 50* you would make it 50yards if you were lucky. Hell 50* is damncold ina wetsuit.
Old 08-15-2002, 08:46 AM
Wild Horses

Unless there was a beer on the other side, I'd be in big trouble. .... My daughter crossed our bay at the age of 11 (2.5 miles) in a tad over 2 hours.

Old 08-15-2002, 09:04 AM
hydro-t20

Question

50 degrees isn't all that cold ? On vacation last week we stoppet for a little swim in a mountain lake, water temp was about 52-53 degrees. Had no trouble being in the water for 15 minutes. Then again, on land it was sunshine and 75 degrees...

Old 08-15-2002, 09:31 AM
ursus

We were in lake huron swiming mid may this year water temp 48, only went in for dip maybe 1-2 min and it was take your breath away cold, I think I coulda swam 5 maybe 10 min if my life depended on it in that water so at 1 mph in 5 min coulda went 1/10th mile, 500 feet, 1000 feet tops

If the water is warm you can tread swim for hours altho speed is slower say 1/2 mph so in 4 hour 2 miles, but you can go 12 hours like that pretty easy especially with a flotation device

Old 08-15-2002, 09:38 AM
CRUBOSS

I DO LAPS IN MY HOT TUB. I CAN STAY IN IT FOR HOURS. AS LONG AS THE BEER ON THE SIDE STAYS COLD.

Old 08-15-2002, 10:13 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

i don't know if you have ever tried it, but swimming a mile non-stop without a floatation device is tough, even in good water conditions . unless you have trained for it, there are a lot of people on this board that couldn't run a mile without stopping, not to mention swimming for a mile.

when i was in college, my fraternity did a fundraiser that involved collecting donations for a 25 mile swim. there were 25 participants, who each swam a minimum of 1 mile. at a 1/4 mile you think you are going to die, at a 1/2 mile you feel like you have been swimming for 3 days straight, at 3/4 mile you start to hit your second wind. at a mile you are so tired that you couldn't kick your own ass....

it is tougher than you think.......believe me.

jbk

Last edited by jawbreakerkid; 08-15-2002 at 10:16 AM.
Old 08-15-2002, 11:14 AM
Registered

Cool

>>>>>When I was younger, part of the red cross/water safety/lifeguard/lifesaving course I took required you to swim 1-mile with long pants and long sleeve shirt...water temp wasn't a factor but that last 10 minutes was FOREVER!!!!>>>>>>>>>>>>With a floatation device in "warm" water you could probably go forever>>>>>>>>>>>

Quick Reply: OT: How far can someone swim if their life depended on it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.