Notices

Best Resale Powerboat

Old 02-23-2014, 12:13 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Best Resale Powerboat

Opinions on what model boat holds it's value the best.

Something in the 2003-2008 range. Cigarette, Outerlimits, Fountain, Apache, Donzi, Baja, or comparable. Brand doesn't matter except for the ability to get rid of it.

38 feet and longer

Example, buy a 38 Cig Top Gun with 525s, run it for a year, then sell it for a loss.

Questions:
1) How big of a loss. $10,000?, $20,000?, more?
2) How long does it take to sell it? It seems like some of these boats have been for sale for years. I realize question 2 is directly tied to question 1….how big of a loss are you willing to take?
Old 02-23-2014, 12:25 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On the lower end of the price scale, I have noticed Baja seem to really hold their value. I believe it is a name recognition thing..... I recently sold my 2003 Velociy 260 for well under what older equally powered Baja 24 & 25 Outlaws sell for..... Even though there is no comparison in build quality..... Formula seem to hold well as well, rightfully so.
Old 02-23-2014, 12:37 PM
Registered

Received 887 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by Orthobam
Opinions on what model boat holds it's value the best.

Something in the 2003-2008 range. Cigarette, Outerlimits, Fountain, Apache, Donzi, Baja, or comparable. Brand doesn't matter except for the ability to get rid of it.

38 feet and longer

Example, buy a 38 Cig Top Gun with 525s, run it for a year, then sell it for a loss.

Questions:
1) How big of a loss. $10,000?, $20,000?, more?
2) How long does it take to sell it? It seems like some of these boats have been for sale for years. I realize question 2 is directly tied to question 1….how big of a loss are you willing to take?
A few considerations:
1. Customryder or Scott Shogren would be the only two on OSO that has multiple experiences with this but I really believe your equation begins with the buy price, not the sale price.
2. Too many variables for "best brand, best resale"......where (salt vs. fresh, FL or Idaho), when (dec. or june sale), etc. Then lets say 525 boat has header issue, milkshakes a motor, that is going to hurt the equation.
3. Many brands you mentioned are out of business, can't see that picture getting brighter in reference to resale values.

My opinion, buy a nice clean boat (Powerquest 380 for example) for a steal and when you are ready to sell it.....you don't lose much if you are into the boat for 40-50K.
Old 02-23-2014, 12:51 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
A few considerations:
1. Customryder or Scott Shogren would be the only two on OSO that has multiple experiences with this but I really believe your equation begins with the buy price, not the sale price.
2. Too many variables for "best brand, best resale"......where (salt vs. fresh, FL or Idaho), when (dec. or june sale), etc.
3. Many brands you mentioned are out of business, can't see that picture getting brighter in reference to resale values.

My opinion, buy a nice clean boat (Powerquest 380 for example) for a steal and when you are ready to sell it.....you don't lose much if you are into the boat for 40-50K.
I would buy in the late summer or fall and sell in the spring. I wouldn't have a problem buying it anywhere east of Kansas, it would be sold in Florida. The boat has to be able to handle KW and Miami Boat Show poker runs. It's going to cost $7,000 round trip transportation plus a $5,000 road cover to get my Skater to and from Florida next year. That's $12,000 I could afford to lose on a boat that I could buy right and sell down there.

We still hope to take the Skater but I thinking of some backup plans.

I hope to gain some insight into different brands I know nothing about (like Powerquest) from the discussion. Thanks
Old 02-23-2014, 01:27 PM
Registered

Received 887 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by Orthobam
I would buy in the late summer or fall and sell in the spring. I wouldn't have a problem buying it anywhere east of Kansas, it would be sold in Florida. The boat has to be able to handle KW and Miami Boat Show poker runs. It's going to cost $7,000 round trip transportation plus a $5,000 road cover to get my Skater to and from Florida next year. That's $12,000 I could afford to lose on a boat that I could buy right and sell down there.

We still hope to take the Skater but I thinking of some backup plans.

I hope to gain some insight into different brands I know nothing about (like Powerquest) from the discussion. Thanks
I would buy at your home lake/area and sort the boat out.....when it is running good then ship it to Florida, use it and list it after the first poker run (the runs are only 3 months apart). That 42 Sonic just listed for 26K could be a winner if you could buy it sub-20K and you had access to some cheap motors to stick in it and maybe re-shoot the purple/update it a little.
Old 02-23-2014, 01:39 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hands Down........... Bayliner
Old 02-23-2014, 01:44 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Just wondering how you come up with 12k to and from florida? Does that include a concierge transport service?

Last edited by davidmercury; 02-23-2014 at 02:22 PM.
Old 02-23-2014, 01:48 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by da*****rcury
Just wondering how you come up with 12k to and from florida?
$3500 each way = $7000
Road travel cover = $5000 (or another way to look at is $5,000 paint refresh from road grime)

http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...o54686-en.html

This one is interesting but the whole Dirty Duck theme is not for me. That would have to be creatively covered up.
Old 02-23-2014, 01:48 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In all seriousness I would say the boats that hold their value the best are the names that can roll off the tongues of the inexperienced even though the build quality isn't the same as some lesser known names.

Cigarette
Baja
Donzi
Forumula
Fountain

If I had to pick one, I would say Formula because the build quality / fit and finish. Not to mention they are still in business. They also build a boat for just about anyone. Bowrider, Performance, cruiser etc
Old 02-23-2014, 02:16 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just shrink wrap your boat before trailering it.....WAY cheaper!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.