Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Best synthetic dock? Anyone have one? >

Best synthetic dock? Anyone have one?

Notices

Best synthetic dock? Anyone have one?

Old 03-09-2014, 09:30 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Best synthetic dock? Anyone have one?

I'm re-doing my dock. I'm thinking of going synthetic instead of wood but I hear there are quite a few brands with issues.
Anyone know which is the best all around?
Old 03-10-2014, 12:29 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm assuming your meaning the decking on your dock? If you search "composite decking" should bring up quite a few suppliers, I'd be interested in seeing who is a good supplier as well, as I'm in the process of rebuilding my 50ft gangway and want to use composite as well. I know the one upside is you can run screws into the side of it, and it won't split, and gives you that hidden screw look.
Old 03-10-2014, 07:39 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you setting new pilings as well?
Old 03-10-2014, 08:10 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We just did the poo/patio deck in Boca Landings and used Evergrain by Tamko, its a good product, but I told the board not to use it cause it gets hot and it will deteriorate over time no matter what the warranty is. Well it is too hot and now they are paying us to re-do it out of wood.
Another problem with the synthetic is that it is a little flexible, so if your stringers are not perfectly level and right on you will see a few dips in the boards, so they need to be totally level or replaced before you do it.
My opinion is go with a good sanded 2x6 wood product and just come to the fact that you need to seal it every few years., its not that bad to do it, but people forget and then they hate the wood cause its too far gone to salvage. just my .02 Gino
Old 03-10-2014, 08:26 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 121 Likes on 21 Posts

I agree w Tanner, Gino. I have a large dock at my summer home in CAN and tore out the synthetic product with all the problems of shrinkage / gaps / cracking etc.in favour of cedar. It is probably OK on a small dock but expect yours is not small. If you do use it, research it carefully and have an experienced installer.

Bob
Old 03-10-2014, 09:06 AM
Beak botr
VIP Member

We are on our second dock with either full synthetic or Composite (the other house). We built a dock in 2007 that used a composite material of wood and plastic (think TimberTec). The structural features of that dock were fine, we moved after 5 years, but it did mildew rather badly (Northern exposure), it took a lot of trial and error to get product to kill the mildew, but it would come back every year. Our New Dock (completed in 2012) is fully synthetic plastic material and so far absolutely no mildew. The installer made certain to space the joists to prevent issues with sagging, so far it is perfect.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:21 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

If you go natural. Look into some of the Brazilian hardwoods. The stuff looks great for years and costs only a little more but you get 3x the life. Especially if you seal it every 2-3 years. The grain is very fine and you dont get splinters from it.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:46 AM
Registered
Gold Member

Originally Posted by tanner
We just did the poo/patio deck
The Poo Deck? That stinks...

(sorry, my inner 14 year old had to do it.)
Old 03-10-2014, 12:37 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 771 Likes on 352 Posts

I went with this stuff.... It is kind of the "upper end" Trex product in terms of look/feel/texture.... (and PRICE!!! - about $8/Square Foot). I used A couple different colors with an inset color and a border color.

http://www.trex.com/products/decking...g-and-railing/

Everyone will jump on Trex as junk based on them pioneering the product and having issues with it 20 years ago. This new stuff has a warranty against fading/staining that is over 20 years (I think it might actually be 25 years).

It is beautiful, and I used their lighting system as well. The recessed ones in the dock with the programmable timer, dimmer and remote control. VERY happy so far.

Also - it is kind of hot in the summer since I went with dark colors, so I installed a couple sprinkler heads on a remote control valve to mist down the dock so the kids won't burn their feet.
Old 03-10-2014, 12:59 PM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Have you ever thought about concrete...http://www.arcis-corp.com/thin-pre-s...-marine-floats.

http://www.insul-deck.org/index.htm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.