Notices

Dana Marine Exhaust question

Old 03-11-2014, 10:00 AM
JMG
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dana Marine Exhaust question

Hello all,

I am thinking of getting a Dana Marine exhaust for my 1988 Scarab.
The engine is a 330HP 7.4L replacement unit.
Otherwise the boat is stock bravo 1, silent choice and mercathode equipped.

As I live in Europe, and wouldn't want to send stuff back and forth if it doesn't fit,
I'd like to figure out how straightforward this install is going to be.
Power steering pump pressure line fitting, oil filter location/ attachment and mercathode / fuel filter seem to be pain points.

Has anyone of you ever installed a set of these exhaust manifolds in a totally stock application?
If so, what issues, if any, did you encounter?

Many thanks
Old 03-11-2014, 11:10 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

personally i like the stainless marine manifolds. they seem to last forever, and offer good preformance...
Old 03-12-2014, 09:39 AM
JMG
Registered

Anyone?
Old 03-12-2014, 03:00 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There big manifolds seen a set last weekend looks like someone would need some room to run them.
Old 03-12-2014, 03:33 PM
Registered

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

I run a set Keith Eickerts on my Bulldog ,those are also Aluminium made ,like the Dana,s , The KE have long runners ,they run more aft than a stock system /Gil ,so they won,t clear a silent choice system .
The Dana,s look shorter ,so they would leave enough room for a silent choice system , as for fitment ,be prepared to do some modifications here and there ,you might have to fabricate a bracket to mount the oil filter and or advance module ,if the press oil line from the saginaw pump gives problems ,you might want to install a Banjo type connector ,to add a little more space between the pump and the header.
Don,t expect it to add a lot of power on your engine cause if thats youre after ,you might be a little dissapointed
Old 03-12-2014, 04:48 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 246 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by JMG
Hello all,

I am thinking of getting a Dana Marine exhaust for my 1988 Scarab.
The engine is a 330HP 7.4L replacement unit.
Otherwise the boat is stock bravo 1, silent choice and mercathode equipped.

As I live in Europe, and wouldn't want to send stuff back and forth if it doesn't fit,
I'd like to figure out how straightforward this install is going to be.
Power steering pump pressure line fitting, oil filter location/ attachment and mercathode / fuel filter seem to be pain points.

Has anyone of you ever installed a set of these exhaust manifolds in a totally stock application?
If so, what issues, if any, did you encounter?

Many thanks
My father ordered a set in 2007 or 2008, the bolt pattern was machined wrong, it was a stunning mistake, he sent the headers back got a full refund, ordered a set of Gils, came as ordered, not a problem with the install, not a problem with running them, must admit, very low hours on them too.;
Old 03-21-2014, 10:01 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

JMG,

I am in the process of deciding on Dana exhaust for my 2006 Baja 242 Islander with a 496 Mag. I have Corsa Quick and Quiet and want that feature. I spoke to Dana along with my mechanic who has installed more than a few Dana exhausts. There are two bolt on models for my boat that will accommodate the Quick and Quiet feature. The EX-2000 is a complete kit with the required brackets where a few items need relocated. $2650. The EX-103K-SC is the same unit minus the brackets for $2592.

Jim
Old 03-21-2014, 01:46 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Just finished installing a set of IMCO Powerflows with long risers on my 97 Gen VI 454mag. I thought my ps hose was going to clear at first glance. It was very close, but nope. Found a slightly used power steering/alternator relocation bracket made by IMCO, from a member here. IMCO has them on their website.

Don't know if your 88 ps/alt bolts up the same as mine, but if your alt is mounted below your ps pump on the port side it would probably work for you. It is a real easy solution to the power steering hose and the manifold clearance problem. Three bolts off, change bracket and 3 bolts on, done. Lined up perfect with pulleys. The hose is now a good inch or so higher and clears by plenty. Also, your current belt should fit. I replaced the belt, only because it was stretched. Put a 1/2 shorter belt on. Also, had to go with longer bolts on the front of the port manifold where oil filter attaches. Easy fix. That was my only problem. You might check to see if your OEM shift bracket will work with new manifolds. If not you are going to need a new shift bracket, unless you mount it somewhere else. My OEM would not work, so I also purchased an IMCO shift bracket and installed it. Worked pretty well, only had to drill one hole, as everything else was direct bolt up.

I had the Corsa Quick and Quiet on mine. Took it all off, including tip changeout. Looks much less cramped. Sounds much better. Hopefully it will run a little better.

Good Luck

Last edited by shunter2005; 03-21-2014 at 01:50 PM. Reason: Need to add something
Old 03-22-2014, 03:24 AM
JMG
Registered

Thanks for all your feedback

jamesjcowen,

The 496 System is a specific development for that engine, I believe my Mark IV 454 is not identical.
I spoke to Dana, we could not determine what modifications would be needed for my 26 year old stock setup.

In the meantime I have settled for Stainless Marine.
They did a modification on the risers to fit my stock 4 hose cooling setup at no charge and shipped very fast.
I have been told these manifolds would fit with no modifications whatsoever including accessories. We will see….
Old 03-22-2014, 09:25 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JMG
Thanks for all your feedback

jamesjcowen,

The 496 System is a specific development for that engine, I believe my Mark IV 454 is not identical.
I spoke to Dana, we could not determine what modifications would be needed for my 26 year old stock setup.

In the meantime I have settled for Stainless Marine.
They did a modification on the risers to fit my stock 4 hose cooling setup at no charge and shipped very fast.
I have been told these manifolds would fit with no modifications whatsoever including accessories. We will see….
cant go wrong with those manifolds...