Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   750 hp for $ 23 k brand new ??? 2 year warranty (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/309600-750-hp-%24-23-k-brand-new-2-year-warranty.html)

mikebrls 03-12-2014 05:53 PM

750 hp for $ 23 k brand new ??? 2 year warranty

so how do they do this when most builder's are asking almost twice this much ?
anyone no of them ?
is the profit margin that great when these other builder are asking $ 35 to $ 40 k for 750 hp ?
They have a part's list they sound like good part but I don't no much about building a motor ,
So all you motor head's out there please comment and tell me what you think :)
http://www.westcoastoffshore.ca/BOAT...NTY-P3064.aspx

Thank's
mike

jdos 03-12-2014 06:08 PM

they all look like the ateco ads on the site

http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...o55893-en.html

under the bbc marine

mikebrls 03-12-2014 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by jdos (Post 4088706)
they all look like the ateco ads on the site

http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...o55893-en.html

under the bbc marine

Maybe they sell these motor's to this other vendor , If you click on link it will bring you to there website with build sheet. If Ateco does build these wha are your thoughts ?

thank's
mike

mickeymcclgn 03-12-2014 06:27 PM

I love the part

"Naturally aspirated or EFI" . So apparently EFI isn't naturally aspirated anymore? News to me. Maybe they put a whistle tip on it.

But as far as price it does seem cheap. If they're buying parts in bulk they might be making 3,000$ profit after everything? Just my uneducated opinion.

mikebrls 03-12-2014 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by mickeymcclgn (Post 4088726)
I love the part

"Naturally aspirated or EFI" . So apparently EFI isn't naturally aspirated anymore? News to me. Maybe they put a whistle tip on it.

But as far as price it does seem cheap. If they're buying parts in bulk they might be making 3,000$ profit after everything? Just my uneducated opinion.

I guess thats why when you see these motor shop's that charge $ 35 to $ 40 k for these motor's thats why the shop is so nice . there making a killing on each motor , I could be wrong I am just going on your guesstimate :)

mickeymcclgn 03-12-2014 06:46 PM

I mean I see some areas where they have skimped in the build that could easily add up to 3-4,000$. I've had Afew motors built and I've found that once you find a builder that works good for you (which isn't the same for each person) that you stick with that person. There are still Afew good engine builders out there but for every good one there is definitely a bad one.

And for every business there will be that one customer that you cannot make happy even if you did the work for free. You usually don't hear of the 100s of customers that are happy. Just the one that feels slighted (wether justified or not)

Sorry rant over.

Greatguy66 03-12-2014 08:06 PM

Ateco is good builder 750 HP sounds a little big don't know if this is them???Ateco 625HP for $12k sounds like a good deal !:cool:

dlange 03-12-2014 08:06 PM

Just going to a single serpentine belt and pulleys is around 3k alone isn't it?

ratman 03-12-2014 09:45 PM

i paid 13k for a 800hp 540 from scott shafiroff racing, calles crank dart block and full cnc dart heads, a nice engine, it was an unclaimed engine. i think regular price was around 18,500, the buyer put down his 50% deposit and never picked it up... it is a dynoed engine with full spec build sheet with all clearances ect.

marine places are much more pricey cuz people are paying their prices.,

im talking about n/a single 4bbl hi perf boat engines, not 1500 hp blower stuff cuz car and marine stuff there is worlds apart. i think you can get a better deal from a place that build good car engines. its all the same parts, just minor changes to make it live in a marine environment. see what cranks they are using and other hard parts if its all scatt inexpensive forged stuff take a pass, you can get the good hard part for a single 4bbl 750hp engine in that price range, its easy to make 1.3 to 1.5 hp pr cu in a big n/a bbc motor...

Unlimited jd 03-13-2014 07:27 AM

Ad says lunati crank and rods.

Cole2534 03-13-2014 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by mickeymcclgn (Post 4088741)
I mean I see some areas where they have skimped in the build that could easily add up to 3-4,000$. I've had Afew motors built and I've found that once you find a builder that works good for you (which isn't the same for each person) that you stick with that person. There are still Afew good engine builders out there but for every good one there is definitely a bad one.

And for every business there will be that one customer that you cannot make happy even if you did the work for free. You usually don't hear of the 100s of customers that are happy. Just the one that feels slighted (wether justified or not)

Sorry rant over.

Abso-friggin-lutely!

mikebrls 03-13-2014 09:52 AM

what area's have they skimped out on ?

Thank's
mike

ratman 03-13-2014 10:15 AM

Ad says lunati crank and rods? doesnt look like they skimped on anything using parts like lunati

Young Performance 03-13-2014 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by mikebrls (Post 4089072)
what area's have they skimped out on ?

Thank's
mike

Cheap pistons, cheap oil pan, cheap balancer, no name valves in the heads (possibly a pre-assembled set of heads), cheap accessory brackets (steel V belt brackets), no exhaust, no motor mounts, no bell housing, no coupler, etc. There is no mention of an oil thermostat, gauge senders, alarm senders, etc.
It's not a bad piece for the money and I'm certainly not bashing it. However, if you change out all of the lesser expensive parts for top notch stuff, add the parts that are missing and you will easily exceed 35K. You will have 6K in a serpentine accessory system and headers alone.

We have found that most guys buying something in that power range are first time custom engine buyers, They previously had stock Mercury engines and are afraid of superchargers. So, they go for a big NA engine. However, usually within 1-2 years, they are wanting more. Some less than that. They get a little taste of some power and got to have more. For that reason, we end up supercharging about 60% of the engines we build in the power range at some point in their life. If the parts are not there to support it, you have to start all over. If you build it to handle whatever you can throw at it, then you are good to go for whatever you want to do.

This looks like a good deal if you plan on keeping it like it is. Bottom line, just like most things in life, you get what you pay for.
Eddie

Roger 03-13-2014 11:05 AM

BULL $$ Marine engine builders are WAY overpriced. I realize that boat engines are constantly under strain but three-four times the price of an automotive price is GOUGING in my opinion. Can you imagine a tractor pulling engine costing as much as boat engines?? There would not be any tractor pulls. Same strain.

GETTINBYE 03-13-2014 12:32 PM

Just for what it is worth I was given a quote by a well known builder of $8000 each to be build a pair of carbed HP 500s. This was the price for a "basic" re build. Other than the normally replaced items the only major thing was new pistons.

mikebrls 03-13-2014 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Young Performance (Post 4089104)
Cheap pistons, cheap oil pan, cheap balancer, no name valves in the heads (possibly a pre-assembled set of heads), cheap accessory brackets (steel V belt brackets), no exhaust, no motor mounts, no bell housing, no coupler, etc. There is no mention of an oil thermostat, gauge senders, alarm senders, etc.
It's not a bad piece for the money and I'm certainly not bashing it. However, if you change out all of the lesser expensive parts for top notch stuff, add the parts that are missing and you will easily exceed 35K. You will have 6K in a serpentine accessory system and headers alone.

We have found that most guys buying something in that power range are first time custom engine buyers, They previously had stock Mercury engines and are afraid of superchargers. So, they go for a big NA engine. However, usually within 1-2 years, they are wanting more. Some less than that. They get a little taste of some power and got to have more. For that reason, we end up supercharging about 60% of the engines we build in the power range at some point in their life. If the parts are not there to support it, you have to start all over. If you build it to handle whatever you can throw at it, then you are good to go for whatever you want to do.

This looks like a good deal if you plan on keeping it like it is. Bottom line, just like most things in life, you get what you pay for.
Eddie

Thank you , very well said , something to look in to before buying , this is what so great about OSO someone like me that has had plenty of boats but very little knowledge of motors can ask question's and get other opinions is great

Thank you
mike

Knot 4 Me 03-13-2014 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Roger (Post 4089118)
BULL $$ Marine engine builders are WAY overpriced. I realize that boat engines are constantly under strain but three-four times the price of an automotive price is GOUGING in my opinion. Can you imagine a tractor pulling engine costing as much as boat engines?? There would not be any tractor pulls. Same strain.

This is what is great about America. You can choose to have an automotive engine builder build you your boat's engines at "a 1/3 or 1/4 of the cost" of a marine engine builder.

Crossett 03-13-2014 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Roger (Post 4089118)
Can you imagine a tractor pulling engine costing as much as boat engines?? There would not be any tractor pulls. Same strain

For 30 seconds maybe. Not for an hour, and not with frequent unloading and then instantly reloading the engine.

SB 03-13-2014 01:38 PM

If you don't know what you are buying, don't.

mikebrls 03-13-2014 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by SB (Post 4089200)
If you don't know what you are buying, don't.

That's kinda funny. Of course I no want I'm buying just trying to learn the difference of what's inside off what I'm buying :)

SB 03-13-2014 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by mikebrls (Post 4089228)
That's kinda funny. Of course I no want I'm buying just trying to learn the difference of what's inside off what I'm buying :)

Sorry 'bout that. Wasn't directed at anybody. Was a general statement to anyone reading.

redwhite 03-13-2014 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by mikebrls (Post 4089228)

The build sheet shows a list quality parts. There is no junk listed. Are there better parts? Sure. Is there more bling that could be added to the outside? Yes. Would I have any problem throwing your basic 8lbs of boost at it some day? Nope.

Like has aready been said. "Marine" shops WAY oversell their customers because they are willing to pay the price. Not only in labor costs but also in unecessary parts.

Knot 4 Me 03-13-2014 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by redwhite (Post 4089236)
The build sheet shows a list quality parts. There is no junk listed. Are there better parts? Sure. Is there more bling that could be added to the outside? Yes. Would I have any problem throwing your basic 8lbs of boost at it some day? Nope.

Like has aready been said. "Marine" shops WAY oversell their customers because they are willing to pay the price. Not only in labor costs but also in unecessary parts.

So most marine customers are lemmings? Why haven't all these automotive engine shops swooped in and saved boaters from themselves and provided the same products with the same performance and reliability at great savings?

Greatguy66 03-13-2014 03:16 PM

:whistle:I whould price it out also how much better is the most expensive 750hp compared to the cheapest:stooges:How good are these builders:readinghelp:

tomcat 03-13-2014 03:27 PM

Can someone tell me why torque peak at 5100 RPM is a good idea for a marine engine?

redwhite 03-13-2014 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me (Post 4089251)
So most marine customers are lemmings? Why haven't all these automotive engine shops swooped in and saved boaters from themselves and provided the same products with the same performance and reliability at great savings?

It's not just marine. Most customers of anything are lemmings. It's a product of being unknowledgable about the product you are buying. Take the OP for example. Given plenty of bank roll and a desire to just get the job done and enjoy his boat he can go out and buy any number of power combinations with the top of the line parts, bling, and name recognition. Cookie cutter combinations. He could also shop around, like he is doing, and find a much cheaper alternative that will be just as reliable and make his boat just as fast such as the combination he listed.

And to answer your question....there are lakes full of boats running around with "automotive" shop engine builds that were done for 50 cents on the dollar. The question was why is this motor comming in at $23K when others are $35, $45, $55K.

mikebrls 03-13-2014 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Greatguy66 (Post 4089262)
:whistle:I whould price it out also how much better is the most expensive 750hp compared to the cheapest:stooges:How good are these builders:readinghelp:

Not sure how good any builder is. Most of these high end builders only give 6 months to 1 year warranty where as ateco is giving 2 years and from what I read they have been in the biz, for 30 years. I remember seeing a few years ago a big cat with there motors on here and the guy praised them I'm not going to supercharge the motor. Keeping it stock ,i. if I could get 500 hours I would be happy, boating in Florida we can put on 100 plus hours a year very easy, I would also say 50 percent will be at cruise speed of around 4000 rpm and 40 percent at 1000 rpm idail and 10 percent full throttle :)

onesickpantera 03-13-2014 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by redwhite (Post 4089268)
It's not just marine. Most customers of anything are lemmings. It's a product of being unknowledgable about the product you are buying. Take the OP for example. Given plenty of bank roll and a desire to just get the job done and enjoy his boat he can go out and buy any number of power combinations with the top of the line parts, bling, and name recognition. Cookie cutter combinations. He could also shop around, like he is doing, and find a much cheaper alternative that will be just as reliable and make his boat just as fast such as the combination he listed.

And to answer your question....there are lakes full of boats running around with "automotive" shop engine builds that were done for 50 cents on the dollar. The question was why is this motor comming in at $23K when others are $35, $45, $55K.

While I agree to a certain extent, you are also paying for KNOWLEDGE when using SOME of the reputable marine engine builders. If it was so easy to build a reliable marine engine this forum wouldn't be filled with "rebuild gone wrong" threads.

mikebrls 03-13-2014 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by onesickpantera (Post 4089274)
While I agree to a certain extent, you are also paying for KNOWLEDGE when using SOME of the reputable marine engine builders. If it was so easy to build a reliable marine engine this forum wouldn't be filled with "rebuild gone wrong" threads.

Very true

SABER28 03-13-2014 04:03 PM

anyone bored enough to price out the parts? im hoping to have about $15K into parts and machine work on my 557's. and ive bought all good stuff so far.

Black Baja 03-13-2014 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by SABER28 (Post 4089296)
anyone bored enough to price out the parts? im hoping to have about $15K into parts and machine work on my 557's. and ive bought all good stuff so far.

That sounds about right for retail parts build. In the 10-12 range for a builder...

redwhite 03-13-2014 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by onesickpantera (Post 4089274)

Absolutely true. There are more shops that put out junk than there are quality shops. Knowledge is way more important than parts. I didn't say it was easy. I am just saying that you don't have to pay crazy prices or higher fee's for marine work. You also don't need many of the parts that come with these cookie cutter high profile combinations.

mptrimshop 03-13-2014 05:05 PM

The high end engine builders offer the same warranty as merc. Maybe another good question would be .... How many engines they have had to warranty in there career. From what I understand those numbers speak for themselves. I don't know a lot about motors and the little I do know is that there is a lot to learn if ya want to build high HP set ups. What would a reputable engine builder charge to build a compeer able motor might be a good question to. You may find they refuse to use some of those parts but I'm sure there is good reason behind that. When it comes to part prices there is only so much a builder can do. My question is what is the HP thresh hold where you really start wanting to us all the high $$ stuff. For a guy like me I have twin small blocks( merc scoriopn 377's). I would love to do a rebuild and maybe get 425-500 hp a side out of them. But they are 2 bolt main blocks and I don't want to have to do a ton of fuel system upgrades. I don't have a problem doing pumps but new lines and pick ups I don't. As far as injection ...not sure what mine can handle. I honestly have no idea what to expect price ways if I want to do this . But I have heard way to many hillbillies say to me" 377 strokers and your only getting 377hp, you got ripped off" ..... I'm not letting any of them touch my boat.

ratman 03-13-2014 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by tomcat (Post 4089265)
Can someone tell me why torque peak at 5100 RPM is a good idea for a marine engine?

you can move around the torque curve , id be ok with that but i run my stuff hard, it still making big tq at 3800 rpm just not its peak

SB 03-13-2014 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by tomcat (Post 4089265)

Well, you forced me to click the link on the engine. LOL.

I hope that was a typo by them...definately worth a call if someone is interested in that motor for something. If those are peaks, that is fupped up. Only 800 rpm spread.

Their ad says:
•750HP @ 5900 RPM
•Torque 729#'s @ 5100 RPM

SB 03-13-2014 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by ratman (Post 4088901)
i paid 13k for a 800hp 540 from scott shafiroff racing, calles crank dart block and full cnc dart heads, a nice engine, it was an unclaimed engine. i think regular price was around 18,500, the buyer put down his 50% deposit and never picked it up... it is a dynoed engine with full spec build sheet with all clearances ect.

marine places are much more pricey cuz people are paying their prices.,

im talking about n/a single 4bbl hi perf boat engines, not 1500 hp blower stuff cuz car and marine stuff there is worlds apart. i think you can get a better deal from a place that build good car engines. its all the same parts, just minor changes to make it live in a marine environment. see what cranks they are using and other hard parts if its all scatt inexpensive forged stuff take a pass, you can get the good hard part for a single 4bbl 750hp engine in that price range, its easy to make 1.3 to 1.5 hp pr cu in a big n/a bbc motor...

The engine in question for thread starter is completely dressed , ready to bolt in - was yours ?

Exhaust, hoses, wiring, pulleys, belts, cooling system, etc,etc,etc. ?

redwhite 03-13-2014 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by SB (Post 4089336)
Well, you forced me to click the link on the engine. LOL.

I hope that was a typo by them...definately worth a call if someone is interested in that motor for something. If those are peaks, that is fupped up. Only 800 rpm spread.

Their ad says:
•750HP @ 5900 RPM
•Torque 729#'s @ 5100 RPM

There is nothing wrong with that spread and you can craft a cam to make any spread that you want. IMHO, that is a great torque peak for a boat motor and the spread between torque and HP is not a problem at all. People forget that torque is really what matters in high load situations such as boats.

Cash Bar 03-13-2014 09:21 PM

First engine and/or powertrain thread I have followed in years around here.

I'm mainly following it because everyone has a good question or answer and is keeping it completely civil.

That is a very rare thing around here when it comes to engines or hulls.

SB 03-13-2014 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by redwhite (Post 4089459)
There is nothing wrong with that spread and you can craft a cam to make any spread that you want. IMHO, that is a great torque peak for a boat motor and the spread between torque and HP is not a problem at all. People forget that torque is really what matters in high load situations such as boats.

Because of what Cash Bar said nicely...LOL....I respectively disagree with most of what you said. Or maybe how I understood you to say.

You must have an application in mind. If so, tell it. I may agree also, Ya never know.