Securing Cockpit Cover While Towing >

Securing Cockpit Cover While Towing

Notices

Securing Cockpit Cover While Towing

Old 03-16-2014, 06:54 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Securing Cockpit Cover While Towing

What do you use? I see people tape the cover to the boat but with what?
Old 03-16-2014, 07:00 PM
Registered

Received 1,325 Likes on 739 Posts

Mines simple, make sure I secure all the snaps and the poll ups so the cover is tight

Have towed 1200 miles before like that no problem.
Old 03-16-2014, 07:25 PM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

My friend towed all the way across the country one time zero problems, on the way back the cover came loose and the snaps beat the **** outta the paint.

My last boat the entire cockpit cover blew off after a few hours with zero problems.

Don't tow with the cover on unless your prepared to lose it or damage the boat, Or you have the cover specifically designed for towing, its new, and in great condition.
Old 03-16-2014, 07:30 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by offshorexcursion
My friend towed all the way across the country one time zero problems, on the way back the cover came loose and the snaps beat the **** outta the paint.

My last boat the entire cockpit cover blew off after a few hours with zero problems.

Don't tow with the cover on unless your prepared to lose it or damage the boat, Or you have the cover specifically designed for towing, its new, and in great condition.
These are the problems I'm afraid of. It is newer and in great shape.....BUT.

See ya at Boyne, slip 13. Let's grab a beer!
Old 03-16-2014, 07:37 PM
Registered

Received 17 Likes on 3 Posts

We used shrink wrap tape a couple times and worked well. Just don't leave it on there for days
Old 03-16-2014, 07:38 PM
Registered

Received 165 Likes on 65 Posts

I always tow with mine and have never had a problem. I tape the front of mine for a long tow like Boyne or Florida but I've towed more times than I can count to Cumberland and that is a 4 hr tow without doing anything. If I know it will be a dry run I just tape with the blue painters tape but when I head to Florida I usually use a 4 inch shrink wrap tape. I don't know about other boats but with my A.T. even if I don't need the tape to keep the cover on it sure helps to keep the dead bugs out of the boat.
Old 03-16-2014, 07:47 PM
Registered

Do I just tape it on right off the roll or is there anything else needed? Referring to the shrink wrap tape.
Old 03-16-2014, 07:58 PM
Registered

Received 165 Likes on 65 Posts

I just use 4 inch tape right off the role. I went to a small local guy the does winter wrap and bought a roll. The tape is pretty aggressive stuff so you don't want to leave it on when you get to where your going and be careful when you pull it off.
Old 03-16-2014, 08:02 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by boatfreak
I just use 4 inch tape right off the role. I went to a small local guy the does winter wrap and bought a roll. The tape is pretty aggressive stuff so you don't want to leave it on when you get to where your going and be careful when you pull it off.
Thanks for the help. I see many places online sell it. Around 25 bucks for 4 inch by 180 ft.

PS. I really like Active Thunders!
Old 03-16-2014, 08:04 PM
Registered

Received 17 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with Boatfreak. You can buy it on amazon.com as well if you don't have anyone local

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.