Redoing bilge in 34 scarab >

Redoing bilge in 34 scarab

Notices

Redoing bilge in 34 scarab

Old 03-24-2014, 07:15 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Redoing bilge in 34 scarab

Just looking to get some input on a few things on my 34. Boat has arneson drives and was originally equipped with crusader 454's. Have bilge stripped down and am converting to a more merc like setup. The crusader oil coolers and cooling system in general was to much clutter in the front of the engines for me and the previous owner had made a rats nest out of the wiring so figured its time to start from scratch. Basically just need input on a few things.

what qualifies a boat as needing oil coolers? engines are 60 over, heads decked and ported, comp cams, performer RPM intakes, holley 750's, and stainless marine exhaust....basically not much beyond stock big blocks. had oil coolers on the old crusader setup but like I said I am getting rid of the "u shaped" cooler hanging off the front of the engine.

Was going to put an inline cooler on my water pick up hose for transmission and power steering but am now debating if I am also going to need an oil cooler as well. I will be running the boat on lake erie. spending most of my time at cruising speed with spurts of WOT from time to time for a few minutes or so.

Next quesiton is a bypass kit. Just wanted to add it to clean up the front of the engine more but have read some mixed reviews about them. anyone with some input on proper instal would be appreciated. The kits on CPPerformance are what im looking at there.
Old 03-24-2014, 07:25 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I'd rig the oil cooler, across the back of the engine, like most merc setups. Then, I'd rig the trans cooler between the sea pump, and the oil cooler along the starboard side of the block. You want to have the coolers after the sea pump. They work better that way. And also, help to catch impeller blades when they break off, so they dont get jammed up in your block/heads. Rigging the power steering cooler between the sea strainer, and raw water pump, should be ok. I been doing it that way for a while.

I've been running crossovers for a long time with no issues.

Never saw a Scarab III with arnesons. I'd like to see some pics of that setup.
Old 03-24-2014, 09:12 AM
Registered

Thanks Thunder. I will post some pictures when i get home. On the work computer at the moment. Any pictures you guys have to share would be great too. Is there a molded hose that runs from sea pump to the crossover. My sea pump is mounted on starboard side of the engine than the cross over pipe comes out towards the port side
Old 03-24-2014, 09:25 AM
Registered

Old 03-24-2014, 11:48 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Definitely run an oil cooler!

You should be able to simply turn your x-o over, and now the port is to the other side....toward the sea pump.....toward stbd.