Prop polishing can it be done at home? >

Prop polishing can it be done at home?

Notices

Prop polishing can it be done at home?

Old 03-26-2014, 04:29 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cig92
harbor freight has a polishing kit and all of the different polishing sticks to fit a common drill.
If your talking about the one with the red, black & white sticks it works OK but can't get them to look like props that come back from BBlades.
Old 03-26-2014, 05:25 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

To do it efficiently a large pedestal grinder with buffer is needed. As far as polished props slower, that is what people say but I have never seen any data leading to that conclusion. I feel in a race atmosphere it is not worth the time/money to polish when there may be more frequent changes made to props. I run either however I prefer polished. How do we know the microscopic satin scratches dont lead to cavitation or cracks? All this is pure speculation as I have no data and have not seen any.
Old 03-26-2014, 05:33 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't know if polished are faster or not, but scraping the barnacles off sure makes them faster...
Old 03-26-2014, 01:46 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 46 Likes on 13 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by JRider
To do it efficiently a large pedestal grinder with buffer is needed. As far as polished props slower, that is what people say but I have never seen any data leading to that conclusion. I feel in a race atmosphere it is not worth the time/money to polish when there may be more frequent changes made to props. I run either however I prefer polished. How do we know the microscopic satin scratches dont lead to cavitation or cracks? All this is pure speculation as I have no data and have not seen any.
Not speculation. I have seen data and have paid close attention to this issue for 20 years.
My mentor at Mercury Racing did quite a bit of testing on this subject a long time ago. Satin is faster by 0-1+ mph. In other words it can be a very small gain yet it is there. At BBLADES we are always looking for the last .7 or 1.7 mph we can get.
Hi-polished props look real pretty on the trailer but if there is a advantage to a satin finish, why not take the advantage. I understand bling. Guys like bling. Mercury Racing understands it too. That is the only reason they went to hi-polish on the #6 props and the OB cleavers. Bling.

As far as microscopic lines leading to cracks, I've seen as many or more hi polished props crack than Labbed satin finished props we do. Cavitation? Not even remotely related.

Think of miniscual droplets of water between the satin lines. Water over water is faster than water over smooth steal. Try touching a drop of water on a table top with the back of a teaspoon. You can stretch it because water has elasticity. Now scratch the back of the spoon with light sandpaper and try it again. Water will not hold to the spoon. Hmmmm.

Anyway, the prop shops who preaches hi-polish as faster is most likely a really good polisher and may not have a handle on other prop geometry idiosyncrasy's. Or not.

Anyway, we take a ton of pride in our hi-polishing as well. We are happy to do it for anyone who requests it. We use 18" cotton buff wheels on a Hammond buffing lathe. We use multiple steps of compound and rouge. It is never done in a machine. It is only done by hand for certain reasons. One reason......maintaining tolerances of the recipe I drew up for the Lab process.

Ok, I'm done babbling.

Brett

Last edited by bbladesprops; 03-26-2014 at 01:48 PM. Reason: addition
Old 03-26-2014, 02:07 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Polished props are slower.
So are dimpled golf balls. Wonder if that concept will ever be applied to hulls and screws?
Old 03-26-2014, 02:25 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bbladesprops
Not speculation. I have seen data and have paid close attention to this issue for 20 years.
My mentor at Mercury Racing did quite a bit of testing on this subject a long time ago. Satin is faster by 0-1+ mph. In other words it can be a very small gain yet it is there. At BBLADES we are always looking for the last .7 or 1.7 mph we can get.
Hi-polished props look real pretty on the trailer but if there is a advantage to a satin finish, why not take the advantage. I understand bling. Guys like bling. Mercury Racing understands it too. That is the only reason they went to hi-polish on the #6 props and the OB cleavers. Bling.

As far as microscopic lines leading to cracks, I've seen as many or more hi polished props crack than Labbed satin finished props we do. Cavitation? Not even remotely related.

Think of miniscual droplets of water between the satin lines. Water over water is faster than water over smooth steal. Try touching a drop of water on a table top with the back of a teaspoon. You can stretch it because water has elasticity. Now scratch the back of the spoon with light sandpaper and try it again. Water will not hold to the spoon. Hmmmm.

Anyway, the prop shops who preaches hi-polish as faster is most likely a really good polisher and may not have a handle on other prop geometry idiosyncrasy's. Or not.

Anyway, we take a ton of pride in our hi-polishing as well. We are happy to do it for anyone who requests it. We use 18" cotton buff wheels on a Hammond buffing lathe. We use multiple steps of compound and rouge. It is never done in a machine. It is only done by hand for certain reasons. One reason......maintaining tolerances of the recipe I drew up for the Lab process.

Ok, I'm done babbling.

Brett
there you have it... u want bling buy a gold set of teef, you want speed go satin...
Old 03-26-2014, 02:28 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Cole2534
So are dimpled golf balls. Wonder if that concept will ever be applied to hulls and screws?
i gots a ball peen hammer, youse wants i should dimple the bottom of your boat, it will cost u a 12 pack. lol
Old 03-26-2014, 02:31 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by Cole2534
How far can your Callaway Driver send a ball underwater?
Old 03-26-2014, 08:05 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Golfball theory is where people should be looking, or some form of fish scales.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:21 PM
Registered

Received 1,329 Likes on 742 Posts

On the polish being slower with what Brett said would that also apply to outdrives lowers?

Just thinking about how polished Wilson's worked ones are.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.