Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Guy seeks home for a boat that his father started building over 60 years ago...... >

Guy seeks home for a boat that his father started building over 60 years ago......

Notices

Guy seeks home for a boat that his father started building over 60 years ago......

Old 03-31-2014, 02:26 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by glassdave
I think Phragle Rob can relate to this

Hey Rob do you have any pics of your dads Tri? That thing was cool and a Point Place landmark

Definitly relate. When I was about 2 or 3 my dad started building a 41 x24 foot trimiran. His dream was to finish it and have the family sail around the world on it. I put many hours into working on it too. My dad had promised my mom that the kids would always come before the boat though and there are 5 of us with me being the oldest. I left home at 17 and the boat was about 85~90 finished, just needed to be rigged and the interior finished. Then one after the other my brother and sisters were put through college and forward progress on the boat stopped.

I moved back to Toledo about 10 years ago. The boat still sitting in the yard about the same as when I had left 20 years before except time had taken its toll. A lot of dry rot etc. to the point my dad asked me to cut it up and get rid of it. It took the better part of a summer with a sawzall to cut it up, my dad would stop by to see the progress and I could see the tear in the corner of his eyes. One of the saddest things I have ever had to do.

On the brighter side, a few years ago he bought a 27' sailboat (he forgot to mention to my mom that he did, but thats another story). Us kids got together, came up with a name for the new boat and put it on the transom.. the "TRI-AGAIN". My dad has been racing it every thursday night with the local sailing club since he got it and I often crew with him.
Old 03-31-2014, 07:46 PM
Registered

Received 887 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by phragle
Definitly relate. When I was about 2 or 3 my dad started building a 41 x24 foot trimiran. His dream was to finish it and have the family sail around the world on it. I put many hours into working on it too. My dad had promised my mom that the kids would always come before the boat though and there are 5 of us with me being the oldest. I left home at 17 and the boat was about 85~90 finished, just needed to be rigged and the interior finished. Then one after the other my brother and sisters were put through college and forward progress on the boat stopped.

I moved back to Toledo about 10 years ago. The boat still sitting in the yard about the same as when I had left 20 years before except time had taken its toll. A lot of dry rot etc. to the point my dad asked me to cut it up and get rid of it. It took the better part of a summer with a sawzall to cut it up, my dad would stop by to see the progress and I could see the tear in the corner of his eyes. One of the saddest things I have ever had to do.

On the brighter side, a few years ago he bought a 27' sailboat (he forgot to mention to my mom that he did, but thats another story). Us kids got together, came up with a name for the new boat and put it on the transom.. the "TRI-AGAIN". My dad has been racing it every thursday night with the local sailing club since he got it and I often crew with him.
So the tri-man was like a house boat? Sucks he spent the time/money to build something like that and never floated it but atleast he won round two with the sailboat!
Old 04-04-2014, 09:14 PM
Registered

Received 887 Likes on 481 Posts

boat has found a home with an Irish Captain......
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/bro...,1893769.story