Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Go fast boat rental as a business model...... >

Go fast boat rental as a business model......

Notices

Go fast boat rental as a business model......

Old 04-02-2014, 08:34 AM
Registered

Received 887 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Ever seen how a rental PWC boat is driven? Take a look at how beat up the rental boats in Key West present.
No way the equipment would hold up; and if well funded enough to take care of the maintenance...
...the attorneys would be cutting into that funding sooner than later.

You could probably get away with a "Hionas & Cecil rob Peter/pay Paul Business Model" for 18-24 months...
but then in two years we'd be calling it a "Jupiter Sunsation Business Model".

You have a point but there is a liability limit in Florida (old maritime law), if you loan a boat to a friend and they kill someone you are not liable. However if you loan your car to the same friend, same result you are liable....Weird for sure but I don't know if that translates to a business/rental boats.

Also note, places like Broward county are pretty much all no wake zones on the weekend so idling the ICW puts hours on the boat but not high stress hours and these boats might be better off running 100-200 hours a year than sitting long periods with sporatic usage (also consider these aren't high HP stuff, not 1075's )
Old 04-02-2014, 08:35 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by hullofjustis
how would you handle a customer going out for the day and it breaking down?? would you give them a refund? i don't think it would be profitable enough to be a business unless you have your own personal capitable and willing to take the risk with your own money. If you needed a loan to do this I don't think it would work over the long run. if you figure advertising have a full time mechanic a rescue boat and employees not to mention a place to keep them. there was an organization in Maryland that rented cruisers a few years ago. i don't know if they are still around or not however I have not heard anything about them since i found it on a website.

Boat swap maybe. Boat dies, run another one out to them and have seatow bring the broken boat back.
Old 04-02-2014, 08:40 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know when I rent cars I take a certain pride and get my moneys worth by beating the ever living piss out of it. I'm sure I'm not in the minority on that.

Boats in general, never mind performance boats are a lot more vulnerable than a altima, or 6 banger mustang!!!!

risky
Old 04-02-2014, 08:51 AM
Registered

From a rough pro forma:

5 boats to start- 200K
Dually wrapped as ad vehicle/tow vehicle- 40K
Insurance- 5k per boat per year, high deductible (total guess) 25K
Warehouse to store boats- rack would probably kill you unless you worked a deal with a local marina- 2-3K month
Maintenance guess- 2-3k month guesstimate for the 5 boats
seatow- 1k yr

265K instant hit, 35K for taxes/registration/legal set up is 300K
Monthly is 7K (rent, insurance, maintenance)- 100K set aside
400K you are in business, at $1000 daily rentals you need to rent 400 boats a year to get your money back/ each boat 80 times a year. So figure 1.5 X per week per boat and you get all your money back in the first year. Re-evaluate which boats are the most profitable at the end of the year, least breakdowns, highest rental days, etc. Consider investing in more of the better rentals, get rid of the headache boats (which might be all of them! ).

Year 2-
Fleet/truck paid for just have 100K annual expenses.
Rent the same 5 boats just once a week, 50K per boat per year in revenue = 250K
150K a year net income..........12.5K per month, $3125 week.....
Old 04-02-2014, 08:59 AM
Registered

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

The definition of performance boat is the question here. It would have to be a relatively low performance, bone stock, most bullet proof boat you could find that could be run full throttle all day and fly waves constantly and still hold up. Fractional ownership would imply more owner responsibility than a straight rental, which would get more beat on no doubt.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:00 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by scarab63
I know when I rent cars I take a certain pride and get my moneys worth by beating the ever living piss out of it. I'm sure I'm not in the minority on that.

Boats in general, never mind performance boats are a lot more vulnerable than a altima, or 6 banger mustang!!!!

risky
I rented a 414 HP 5.0 Mustang last year.....wow it was fast and burnt rubber for blocks......

You clearly would be selective on who gets to leave with what. In S. Florida theft, illegal activities would be a real problem so GPS with shutoff capability would be required if you see your boat heading to Cuba or miraculously moving on land (stealing it via trailer). Spring break with 6 dudes and 4 cases of beer would probably be a no go! This would be a niche business, yes you need high net worth clients but you also need to be selective on who gets the keys. By keeping things moderate high performance you should be able to make the equipment survive the operators!
Old 04-02-2014, 09:03 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Pismo10
The definition of performance boat is the question here. It would have to be a relatively low performance, bone stock, most bullet proof boat you could find that could be run full throttle all day and fly waves constantly and still hold up. Fractional ownership would imply more owner responsibility than a straight rental, which would get more beat on no doubt.
From Post #1....... So now the boats......obviously the boats would be used, light on power so your fantasy of a 47 Apache with triple 1000's is out.

30 Mystique/ 35 Café Racer/ 38 TG/ 31/35/42 Sonic type stuff - Old School straight bottom Vees, Big dockside impression, safe enough vessel to handle (no step bottoms, no superfast Fountains ). Would you pay $1500 a day to run one of these rigs? Spend $3000-4500 to run it on a poker run (Cheaper than hauling a boat out of the Midwest)?

I had a small block 32 Sunsation that planed very quick, ran low 70's and never blew a drive in 300 hours of hard use. Motors were great for the first 200 hours then Merc replaced under warranty and less reliable than the original two in my opinion but still manageable.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:08 AM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,748 Likes on 1,234 Posts

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
From a rough pro forma:

5 boats to start- 200K
Dually wrapped as ad vehicle/tow vehicle- 40K
Insurance- 5k per boat per year, high deductible (total guess) 25K
Warehouse to store boats- rack would probably kill you unless you worked a deal with a local marina- 2-3K month
Maintenance guess- 2-3k month guesstimate for the 5 boats
seatow- 1k yr

265K instant hit, 35K for taxes/registration/legal set up is 300K
Monthly is 7K (rent, insurance, maintenance)- 100K set aside
400K you are in business, at $1000 daily rentals you need to rent 400 boats a year to get your money back/ each boat 80 times a year. So figure 1.5 X per week per boat and you get all your money back in the first year. Re-evaluate which boats are the most profitable at the end of the year, least breakdowns, highest rental days, etc. Consider investing in more of the better rentals, get rid of the headache boats (which might be all of them! ).

Year 2-
Fleet/truck paid for just have 100K annual expenses.
Rent the same 5 boats just once a week, 50K per boat per year in revenue = 250K
150K a year net income..........12.5K per month, $3125 week.....
Wow. I didn't mean to get you thinking this hard—but I love it. Of course, there would be hurdles to overcome—my mind goes first to liability, insurance and rental operator qualification—but there are always hurdles like that in a new business. If you could work out the big issues and the numbers made sense, why not? It's an intriguing idea, at the very least. Though not all ideas pan out, without them nothing ever moves and nothing ever changes.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:10 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Wobble
I have found that renting an rv or toyhauler makes perfect sense for 2-3 trips a year, sure I spend a couple of days picking up and loading and the same at the end. Beats the crap out of watching the weather destroy your 40-100k purchase.

Would be very cool to travel to further away boating areas and check them out without towing/driving the whole way.

No I agree and thats why I said long run renting hardly ever makes sense. For the guy that does something 1-2 times a year its a way better deal. In the long run Im talking using something consistently and for multiple years. use that toy hauler 15-20 times a year for 4-5 years, you probably lose renting.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:28 AM
Registered

Received 4,326 Likes on 1,241 Posts

I would like to open up a parts place right next to this rental place. Bravo upper gears would fly off the shelf!

I can see this working for fair weather boaters and tourists, a real boater want his own personal rig.

Last edited by ICDEDPPL; 04-02-2014 at 09:36 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.