Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
shipping a boat, best way to protect? >

shipping a boat, best way to protect?

Notices

shipping a boat, best way to protect?

Old 04-02-2014, 02:44 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

I shipped my Sunsation from Texas to Honolulu (Trailered to San Diego, then ocean transport to Oahu) with full shrink wrap below the chines. 2 days towing through the desert southwest, a rain storm, a dust storm and then two weeks at the port awaiting ocean transport. When I removed the wrap, the boat was as clean as the day I she was wrapped and not a scratch on the paint.
Old 04-02-2014, 02:49 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
As long as it has a cockpit drain, just roll it and hope for the best.
I don't like it, but that's really the only option.

Pull the bottom of the back seat out and stow in the cabin, so a discarded lit cigarette butt does not nest on the backseat and burn in.
Put the bolsters seats down if they are drop downs for the same reason.

MAKE SURE they hauler that does up DOES NOT have smoke stacks on the truck. That will be disastrous on the interior, especially if it rains.
I value you opinion on this quite a bit, asI'm sure you have shipped many boats. This follows my thoughts so far, and ya . . . no friggin stacks lol. I have an industrial sewing machine on site here and may whip up some covers for the bolsters out of some light Sunbrella i have on hand, i can also come up with a rear seat cover that should work well with how XT made the rear seat. I can stow the new carpet inside as well, snaps right out.

Originally Posted by Padraig
Will it be sitting on it's own trailer? If so, couldn't the shring be brought all the way down and attached/taped to the trailer instead of the new paint.

Padraig
Yep on its own trailer and no it cannot be done that way it would leave to much open for wind to whirl around it.

Originally Posted by huskyrider
Mine was completely heat shinked when it came from New Hampshire on a well over 2000 mile trip.
Although it was very watertight and weatherproof the installer got a bit greedy with the flame and there were quite a few spots that it stuck to the gelcoat and was a PIA to remove delicately.
With the fresh paint he enjoys going open in good weather is the way I'd do it. I'd bet he'll be in Texas on day 2 for delivery.

See ya,
Kelly
this i cannot risk, this thing is far to nice for that. I would freak if anything stuck to it as I'm sure would the owner. Its 1100 miles give or take so not a horrible run.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Last edited by glassdave; 04-02-2014 at 03:04 PM.
Old 04-02-2014, 03:01 PM
Registered

Received 750 Likes on 403 Posts

Buddy (Mentalpause on here) had his new 34 NorTech CC delivered to LOTO from the factory with no cover back in December. It arrived pretty much unscathed.
Old 04-02-2014, 03:07 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
Buddy (Mentalpause on here) had his new 34 NorTech CC delivered to LOTO from the factory with no cover back in December. It arrived pretty much unscathed.
a good conscientious shipper would have no prob, just takes a little effort to watch what your doing and driving into.
Old 04-02-2014, 03:09 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Originally Posted by RickSE
Donzi used to ship all of their new boats with Transhield covers. It's basically a shrink wrap cover with a soft felt inner liner and they work great to keep the boat clean and protect the finish. Not sure if you could find or get one for your boat.

http://www.transhield-usa.com/transh...em_covers.html
Man i like these things
Old 04-02-2014, 03:12 PM
Registered

Received 750 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by glassdave
a good conscientious shipper would have no prob, just takes a little effort to watch what your doing and driving into.
It was supposed to be covered but the dealer forgot to ship their trailering cover down to the factory. So it made the trip naked.
Old 04-02-2014, 03:16 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,206 Likes on 523 Posts

I value you opinion on this quite a bit, asI'm sure you have shipped many boats. This follows my thoughts so far, and ya . . . no friggin stacks lol. I have an industrial sewing machine on site here and may whip up some covers for the bolsters out of some light Sunbrella i have on hand, i can also come up with a rear seat cover that should work well with how XT made the rear seat. I can stow the new carpet inside as well, snaps right out.
Just make certain you don't have any loose ends of the fabric that can flap against bolster stands, other hardware, vinyl side combing, and obviously paint. Hull-preservation-tape (www.dr-shrink.com) is the best thing since sliced bread. Boats are only 40% of what I use it for. Such would be good for making sure your Sunbrella doesn't get loose.

FWIW, I have a 40 Baja Outlaw TransSheild cover that I use to cover my personal boat in static storage only.
It's a great cover.
Old 04-02-2014, 03:29 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Brian my original thought if it was going to be moved mid winter was to shrink it and tape it below the hard chine right to the hull. I wont put any tape on the newly painted surface, I have a roll of that hull preservation tape and it is crazy strong stuff, i would use it on gel only. I am leaning toward safest being going open but its not my boat I will compile the data here and run it by customer. Great stuff and thanks for the info so far guys
Old 04-02-2014, 03:41 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,206 Likes on 523 Posts

Brian my original thought if it was going to be moved mid winter was to shrink it and tape it below the hard chine right to the hull. I wont put any tape on the newly painted surface, I have a roll of that hull preservation tape and it is crazy strong stuff, i would use it on gel only. I am leaning toward safest being going open but its not my boat I will compile the data here and run it by customer. Great stuff and thanks for the info so far guys
I agree with you. Definitely not for use on fresh paint or a shoddy paint job that wasn't prepped well. I should have further clarified that I meant securing the Sunbrella back to itself. It would work good for that if you were wrapping it around the bottom of seats/bolsters.

Even if you had a cockpit cover, then you would have the dilemma of securing the cover to the boat to make sure no air gets under the front, and no snaps come loose and go flapping.
(Turnbuckles, not an issue, but not many folks use them. Donzi used them on ZRCs)

FWIW2 for future use: Eliminator uses directional snaps. They can only be applied and removed in one direction. I don't know how they work; just know that a buddy's Eliminator cat had them. If they are installed opposite of the way the wind would stress the cover, unlikely for them to come off.
Old 04-02-2014, 03:47 PM
Registered

Received 325 Likes on 126 Posts

First thing I would do, is have the person who accepted the bid (owner?) sign a hold harmless to you and have them put in writing how they want it shipped. The hold harmless should include verbatim their instructions on how boat was to be shipped. Then take pictures.

Now for the transporter, he too should have a hold harmless signed by you,.. addressing how it is shipped, open cover, full cover etc...and take pictures. A good transporter will take care of the load, but only with in the parameters of how the owner wants it covered... Bottom line, the owner is responsible for making the decision....

My opinion: FULL shrink wrap, w/bubble wrap in wear areas and flannel cloth in between the boat and any type of covering. If the full shrink wrap is done correctly, it will not move and will actually be more aerodynamic than being open etc...

Last edited by bajaholic; 04-02-2014 at 03:53 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.