Hp3..........hp525efi........?

Notices

Hp3..........hp525efi........?

Old 08-17-2002, 03:05 AM
Charter Member #94
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by Baja Daze
Perhaps, some GM Vortec racers can chime in...How many failures have there been with the HP3's and what kind...
From what I've heard so far, there have been no bottom end problems whatsoever. Just minor problems like hoes leaking and overheating and chit like that.
Nick is right on here. To my knowledge, there have been no major failures of the GM Vortec HP3 in APBA SVL racing. There have been issues with motor mounts which are not manufactured by GM that have created some interesting problems, but that has been addressed and is being corrected.
Not sure about leaking hoes, but the GM Vortec Solarized team has experienced no major engine failures this season. We have broken an IMCO drive input shaft in Daytona, and had a water hose failure outside of the gimbal in Savanah. In the later the GM guys were all over it, and found no motor problems. We took it home, replaced the hose, fired it up and it's been screaming every since.
GM has no intention of selling marine engines to the public. Their customers are companys like Mercruiser, Crusader, Volvo Penta, and so on.
As for the marine market being 40% of all big blocks, I can't confirm that one. But, I can tell you that GM has, without a doubt, been very involved and pays CLOSE attention to the marine market and the performance of ALL their powertrains. This last week, I had the pleasure of running the 25' Baja Outlaw with the GM Vortec 6.0 through its paces. I had a blast in that boat. When I got back, I figured I'd be in trouble for abusing their equipment, (which I did). Instead, one of the GM engineers was there asking me what I thought of the engines performance.
Actually, GM Vortec's participation in APBA racing carrys that involvement to the next level. Indeed, the very engines many of you run in your newer trucks and vans are quite probably an indirect result of the testing, (abuse) and racing, (serious abuse), that we APBA offshore race teams have put them thru. And believe me, it's our pleasure to work and slave in a hot boat all day. Allowing no compromises so that we have a better engine under our hatch, and under your hood.
Old 08-17-2002, 09:41 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Gordo,
Thanks for your valuable inputs. That's just what I wanted to find out!!

That 25 Outlaw you drove with the 6.0L....Is that the one that Thunder Marine Out of St. Pete was running in the Worlds last year? I think it was P5-25?

Old 08-17-2002, 09:42 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Thumbs up

Thanks Shifter...That clears it up!
Old 08-17-2002, 10:12 AM
Charter Member #94
Charter Member

I think that's the one.
Old 08-17-2002, 12:06 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I spent the first part of this week in Santa Barbera running boats with the boys from GM. There boats had the Vortac Engines and where nothing short of impressive. From what I gathered the engine will not only prove itself with power , but longevity. I would also venture a guess that the custom builders will find this a great new starting point for our Big Power engines.
Old 08-17-2002, 01:18 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sheesh, anyone else getting confused?

Gordo seemed to clear it up. Or am I still lost. I never took it that GM would be selling the HP3 to compete with Merc. It's just like the 502 which is a GM motor and Merc sells as a Mercruiser 502. I'd expect this to be a Mercruiser HP3, which I was assuming that would be the eventual replacment for the 500EFI.

I thought the Vortec corresponded to the same name in the truck motors and was a name for the type of motor, not the name of a separate marine marketing effort. Or am I just way off here? I don't follow the crate motor thing, etc as I have never had to nor wanted to swap motors.

I'd suspect that GM would rather sell to Merc, Volvo Penta, etc as a buffer for warranty issues. I always though Merc did the things they do since they were the ones covering the warranty and they do that 24/7 where GM makes cars.

I seem to be getting confused cause the implications are that GM will be selling these to joe schmoes or boat manufacturers. I would think GM would not want that. The Merc buffer seems to be a good thing. GM has less hassles and Merc makes some serious bucks, or so it seems for upgrade prices

In need of some edumacation here.

Mark
Old 08-17-2002, 01:54 PM
blackhawk

Originally posted by 32fever
Sheesh, anyone else getting confused?

In need of some edumacation here.

Mark
Me too!

Old 08-17-2002, 09:14 PM
Charter Member #94
Charter Member

Mark and Blackhawk,
I apologize if I have added to any confusion. I'll see what I can do to help out here...
I'm not sure if the Vortec HP3 will be the eventual replacement for the 500HP efi, or another future option added to the Mercury lineup. I think I'm just as anxious to find out as you'all are.
The GM Vortec 8100 you find in the GMC and Chevy trucks is the same GM Vortec that supplys the motors in our race boats. I don't think there is a specific seperation from trucks and marine. It's still the same GM Vortec. General Motors is simply using select APBA race teams in Super V Light as a test bed for their HP3 powerplant which has, and will, benifit both GM trucks and GM based marine engines.
As for any implications that GM Vortec will be selling to the average retail customer or direct to boat manufacturers, I hope I wasn't the one to say that. I suspect, as you do, that GM Vortec builds great motors, but is more than happy to let Volvo, Mercury, Crusader, and so on handle the marinizing and marketing end of it.
I hope this helps, at least a little bit.