Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
I bought a new boat, any good? >

I bought a new boat, any good?

Notices

I bought a new boat, any good?

Old 04-12-2014, 12:09 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

What are we going to call the new site?? NotABallerAlmostOffshoreOnly.com ?? Since I have a 22' and a 25' and only make 58k a year instead of 580k can I be a charter member so I feel elite and like I belong to something special?
Old 04-12-2014, 12:33 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by phragle
What are we going to call the new site?? NotABallerAlmostOffshoreOnly.com ?? Since I have a 22' and a 25' and only make 58k a year instead of 580k can I be a charter member so I feel elite and like I belong to something special?
You can be president....
Old 04-12-2014, 12:42 PM
Registered

Riverdavesplace.com already exists. Great alternative to OO. I enjoy all of the boating sites. You can learn alot from everyone.... or not!
Old 04-12-2014, 02:28 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Has anyone glanced down the list of manufactures in the owners forums? How many of those would you not consider Offshore power boats?
Old 04-12-2014, 02:36 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
Has anyone glanced down the list of manufactures in the owners forums? How many of those would you not consider Offshore power boats?
Maybe this should be called "Nearshore Only"....LOL
Old 04-18-2014, 04:59 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by inspector747
Maybe this should be called "Nearshore Only"....LOL

Good stuff!
Old 04-20-2014, 10:07 AM
Registered

Great boat, favorites of mine..congrats on your purchase! Sorry to say but some of the negative comments in this post have lead me away from this site..coming back after a long winter and seeing that just puts it all in perspective. I have actually drifted away from good friends in the performance boating community because apparently my substandard every day boat wasn't good enough. Honestly they weren't critical or rude about it, just comments like "I don't remember the last time I was in a boat that didn't run 80, lol" or simply not wanting to get involved sharing tips or ideas that might benefit my learning or projects regarding my boat...it was a "when you upgrade to something performance, we can do this!" Yeah, nice thoughts but not in the budget. I love boating and have been doing it for years.. But my aspiration to have a ridiculously fast boat or own one of the "pedigree" brands is seriously fading. I guess it's called growing up and learning to enjoy what you have and can afford. Boats are boats..a trick that works on one guy's $300,000 rig may have an application on a somebody's Crownline, Liberator, etc. And there is no way to learn and develop without asking questions, trial and error applications..stuff you may take away from this and other sites. So thanks to all of you that have helped us everyday guys. To those who haven't.... whatever speed you run or what you paid, when ya tie up to the dock at the end of the day it's still just a friggin boat.
Old 04-20-2014, 10:14 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Greatlakestate
Great boat, favorites of mine..congrats on your purchase! Sorry to say but some of the negative comments in this post have lead me away from this site..coming back after a long winter and seeing that just puts it all in perspective. I have actually drifted away from good friends in the performance boating community because apparently my substandard every day boat wasn't good enough. Honestly they weren't critical or rude about it, just comments like "I don't remember the last time I was in a boat that didn't run 80, lol" or simply not wanting to get involved sharing tips or ideas that might benefit my learning or projects regarding my boat...it was a "when you upgrade to something performance, we can do this!" Yeah, nice thoughts but not in the budget. I love boating and have been doing it for years.. But my aspiration to have a ridiculously fast boat or own one of the "pedigree" brands is seriously fading. I guess it's called growing up and learning to enjoy what you have and can afford. Boats are boats..a trick that works on one guy's $300,000 rig may have an application on a somebody's Crownline, Liberator, etc. And there is no way to learn and develop without asking questions, trial and error applications..stuff you may take away from this and other sites. So thanks to all of you that have helped us everyday guys. To those who haven't.... whatever speed you run or what you paid, when ya tie up to the dock at the end of the day it's still just a friggin boat.
You couldn't have put it any better. Thank you
Old 04-20-2014, 11:41 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
GPS? That seems more speedo numbers which are usually 5 MPH or so off at WOT.

The main issue with that boat is that prior to 1998 Crownline did not use treated wood in the construction of their boats. So you will have to keep a close eye on the floor, bulkheads, stringers, etc. for rot. In 1998 they went to XL Marine Plywood that carried a lifetime warranty against rot. I had a 1999 266 open bow with the 7.4 MPI/Bravo III and it would run 48 - 50 MPH GPS. It was a great boat but they have a ton of hook built into the hull so they will never be speed demons.
Actually, nobody uses treated wood for boat construction, at least they better not. Treated wood contains oils, which resin will not adhere to properly. If they were having a problem with rot, they were not properly encapsulating the wood with resin and glass during construction. Some manufacturers leave the underside of the floors bare, and that can lead to problems even with marine grade plywood. The thought is that the wood can "breathe"... My pontoon had bare wood on the bottom. It rotted out from the top down though because of the water being held under that carpet.

Marine grade plywood is bonded under higher pressures than regular plywood, but it is still susceptible to rot if it's not installed correctly.

My buddy had a Crownline he bought as a repairable with a bad engine. After we finished the new engine, he almost kept the thing because he liked it so much. It sat very high for a 23 footer.

BTW, Knot 4 Me, that is a sharp looking boat. I'd love to have something just like that for the days down on the St. Croix.

Last edited by rev.ronnie; 04-20-2014 at 11:49 AM.
Old 04-20-2014, 11:54 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Somethin' Sexy
...Well, I certainly will get OF my perch....

Maybe we should change the name of this site to Anyboat Only...
A guy is a lot less likely to ramp up to a "true offshore" boat over the years if he finds that that community is something he is discouraged to wanting to be a part of. The "cruiser community" is a fine bunch of people and are very accepting of any new boater.

In other words, push away all the cruiser guys, who could be offshore guys some day, and watch the resale value of your boats go in the tank.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.