Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
I bought a new boat, any good? >

I bought a new boat, any good?

Notices

I bought a new boat, any good?

Old 04-09-2014, 12:05 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Granted, the post may have been more relevant on http://crowniehq.net/forum/index.php and probably better to have asked before purchase but in this particular case, it sounds like it was hard to get hurt.

First reply was informed and specific. Many of the rest just illustrate we are spending too much time on the keyboards and not enough with fiberglass.

I ask Mastercraft specific questions on that forum but do enjoy / try to provide insight on other topics over here too.

It's noon and forecast is finally mid-70's. Plan is to splash the boat in 3 hours
Old 04-09-2014, 12:08 PM
pb
Charter Member
Charter Member

Something Sexy,

Being a past President of TOPPS, I am sure you are familiar with your by-laws. If not, here is a reminder of your membership requirements:

Full membership-shall consist of a member who meets the following
qualifications:
(a) Owner of a high performance offshore boat that meets the
following specifications:
(1) No less than 24 feet length overall.
(2) Boat is able to maintain a cruising speed in excess of 50 mph.

I have a feeling you did not associate with other club members that barely met the requirements.

And your "my chit don't stink" attitude certainly does not fit with the purpose of the club as stated on your website:

The Texas Offshore Performance Powerboat Squadron of Lake Conroe or TOPPS is a non-profit Organization whose purpose is as follows:

1. To promote high performance power boating in the Texas Gulf Coast Waters and Lakes.
2. To associate persons interested in high performance boating for mutual improvement and fellowship.
3. To promote the public awareness of high performance boating safety and to advance the cause of safe boating in all phases of the sport.

Oh... and by the way, the "purpose" on your website does not coincide with the "purpose" in your bylaws. Have your secretary look into that.

How did you become President!!??
Old 04-09-2014, 12:11 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Level III Chaos
How do you have an "Offshore" boat club called TOPPS on a lake? LOL
The original club is based in Clear Lake (salt water) which feeds into Galveston Bay and the Gulf. It was started many years ago by a bunch of river rats some of whom are my neighbors. Lake Conroe just North of Houston has a chapter (I think that's the connection) of Topps.

As I mentioned earlier they have forgotten their beginnings which is a shame.

Clear Lake TOPPS and it's story http://clearlaketopps.com/

And here is it's President Mike McPhillamy http://clearlaketopps.com/index.php/...t-the-officers

Last edited by Wobble; 04-09-2014 at 12:28 PM.
Old 04-09-2014, 12:51 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts

My little "non-offshore" boat can run faster than many of the old school "offshore" boats. Just because I have young children and do my boating on a smallish lake, doesn't mean I don't have a passion for large offshore boats. I spend a lot of time on this website because I love performance boats and I learn a lot from many of the informed people here. But because I don't have a big bad ass boat means I can't ask technical questions to all of the knowledgeable people here?!?! Wow, it's no wonder why a lot of "go Fast" guys have such a bad reputation!! I think Mr. President there is compensating for something!!
Old 04-09-2014, 12:54 PM
Registered

1st off.... Congrats on the new boat and enjoy, as others have said it's a wicked bug that will bite you (more speed), my 1st was a mirage.. maybe not an "Offshore" or "Go-fast" boat but sunk allot of money into it abut still had fun... now I have a decent fast boat (Baja w/ 502)
Most on this site can't afford the DCB's or MTI's at a cost of most of our homes but we enjoy what we have and typically are faster than the standard family boat, This has to be one of the best sites to learn about this kind of boating.
Old 04-09-2014, 01:13 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 775 Likes on 353 Posts

This thread sure is a warm welcome. I bet he can't wait to become a part of the offshore community.......
Old 04-09-2014, 01:19 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm bettin he thinks before he can become a full member, he'll have to have his pecker shortened and his ego enlarged! LOL!

My current boat is by no means "big" or "badass", but those on here who DO have such beasts have always been welcoming to me! Carry on!
Old 04-09-2014, 01:23 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

And I wouldnt worry about some in here. I started off with the same boat and started following and asking questions in here before I bought my fountain which is only 29ft and still doesnt qualify as a performance boat to some.

These guys that can buy these big exespenive boats, some can litterally afford and make the dough and walk the talk and they work very hard but thats the exception. Many in here take out mortgage sized loans to do it and are enslaved to that boat and thats all they do. Where as others spread their money on homes, other activities, family etc. Many guys simply cant afford it period, they would never tell anybody but secretly go to bed every night wondering how they are going to put gas in their car the next day. Which whatever the choice there is no right or wrong answer, the only thing wrong is looking down upon others, to those that do that lets open up your skeleton closet sometime.
Old 04-09-2014, 01:32 PM
Registered

Received 243 Likes on 130 Posts

Congrats on the Crownline
Quite a few in my area.
I had looked at a couple at different times.
Enjoy !!!
Old 04-09-2014, 01:41 PM
pb
Charter Member
Charter Member

Originally Posted by soldier4402
These guys that can buy these big exespenive boats, some can litterally afford and make the dough and walk the talk and they work very hard but thats the exception.
I certainly hope you are not implying that "these guys" who can "walk the talk" are given the latitude to belittle someones elses boat based on their financial well being. We all work hard for what we can afford. I have been to the Shootout many times and will be attending Desert Storm for the 6th time in two weeks. You meet all kinds of characters. Some nice, and some with major egos. You can pick the douchebags out pretty quickly. I just choose to stay clear of them.

To the OP...enjoy your new ride.

Over and out.
Paul

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.