Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Low of 27 Tonight, Should I do anything??? >

Low of 27 Tonight, Should I do anything???

Notices

Low of 27 Tonight, Should I do anything???

Old 04-15-2014, 12:11 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Premier Perf
I believe 3 people have told you to go put a light bulb and 1 said you should be fine. It's your call but you do have a 3 to 1. Call the marina and have them do it or else if something gets damaged you can't say noone told you but then again im sure you wouldn't say something got damaged. I don't have that problem as i live in Miami. ... good luck
This isn't the only responses that I have gotten, the OSO family isn't the only people I have asked. Also there were replies in the thread sydwayz posted that said it would be fine as well. Unfortunately the guy at my marina isn't there today. He also said it would be fine, and his sonic is sitting right next to mine which would have the same issue if that says anything. But I am not one to go off one recommendation.
Old 04-15-2014, 12:13 PM
Registered

I have a space heater with a thermostat i put in mine for these times of the year. It was like 30 bucks at walmart. I set it on 50 and leave it alone. A light bulb will work also.
Old 04-15-2014, 12:13 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
I wasn't chastising, just guiding you too a very recent similar convo so you could see some relevant opinions. A search would not have found that.

IF it was my boat, and knowing that I have the tiny/thin brass tubes in the very expensive heat exchangers...
...I'd make arrangements to address.
I wasn't sure if you were or weren't honestly lol. I do appreciate the input, thank you
Old 04-15-2014, 12:14 PM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

Early spring of the year will freeze up quicker than late fall. Water temp is colder now and takes less cold air temp to effect things than in fall when water temp is still up there and acts to temper a cold period. Prudent thing would be take a ride or call your marina and have them take care of it.
Old 04-15-2014, 12:16 PM
Registered

I have always heard the rule of 24* for 24 hours before you need to worry about anything. I cannot confirm or deny how accurate that is though.
Old 04-15-2014, 12:53 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For future reference you can buy a thermostat plug in that comes on at 35 or so and put a.light on that. Keeps my pump house running and the light doesn't burn 24 7
Old 04-15-2014, 01:05 PM
Registered

There is 0.0 chance of an issue. I do an experiment every year. I take a pickle jar and fill it to the brim with water and put a cap on it. It takes several days of far below freezing before it freezes and breaks. We usually hear a loud bang in the middle of the night. My kids tell me "all the boat motors broke last night" One night at 27 degrees is not an issue. If you are still worried follow the others advise. Its good advise!
Old 04-15-2014, 01:38 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by smckie
There is 0.0 chance of an issue. I do an experiment every year. I take a pickle jar and fill it to the brim with water and put a cap on it. It takes several days of far below freezing before it freezes and breaks. We usually hear a loud bang in the middle of the night. My kids tell me "all the boat motors broke last night" One night at 27 degrees is not an issue. If you are still worried follow the others advise. Its good advise!
Fair points, but have you done such with an oil cooler or FWC heat exchanger?
Old 04-15-2014, 01:39 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by beaver 3
I have a space heater with a thermostat i put in mine for these times of the year. It was like 30 bucks at walmart. I set it on 50 and leave it alone. A light bulb will work also.
That works great until you have fuel vapors in the boat one time.

They make Bilge Heaters for that specific reason.
Old 04-15-2014, 01:53 PM
Registered

I was always told 24* for 24hrs. 24 for 24

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.