Notices

LOTO 2014 Shootout Poker Run

Old 04-18-2014, 12:25 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Lightbulb LOTO 2014 Shootout Poker Run

Good afternoon fellow enthusiasts,

My name is Ryan Waggener and I have been a member on OSO for many years, but just recently changed my login. I am an avid boater and high performance enthusiast. My family as had a home on LOTO since the early 70's and it has always been a place where great memories have been created. Unfortunately in 1997 I suffered a life changing spinal cord injury during gymnastics practice that left me paralyzed from the chest down. It was a long recovery, but truly changed my life for the better in many ways. I truly have found how to enjoy life even more.

I purchased my first high performance boat in 1999 when I found a 1995 35 Fountain near my house for sale. It had stock 525sc's and was a dream of mine. It didn't take long, as all of you know, to want to make it my own. I changed nearly everything I could on the boat and had it just how I wanted it. I then met the woman of my dreams and the boat became too much of an expense along with house payments, so we sold it. It was a sad day for me, but I knew the gentleman who bought it would enjoy it as much as I did. I was not wrong and he took the boat to the next level.

Since selling the boat, my time at the lake has changed and I find something missing when I am there. I am sure one day we will own another boat, but until then I am a dreamer and avid boat gawker while on the lake.

OK, enough about that and on to my reason for posting this today. My family loves going to the Shootout every year and seeing the boats run. Even better than the boats are the amazing people you meet tying up of sitting at Captain Ron's. This year I have decided to take 10 days off of work to experience the entire week of festivities that accompany the Shootout. One of the events my wife and I really want to experience is the Poker Run. Here is the kicker. Since selling my boat and my parents selling their SeaRay to keep our business going,, we have not been able to enjoy this event.

So here is my request/offer....
I am willing to pay the entry fee, fuel costs, insurance, and even give you a place to stay and eat if you would be willing to let us participate in the Poker Run with you. Obviously this is a lot to ask, but it would be a bucket lister for me. Also, due to my disability I need to be in a larger boat so the impact on my back is not as rough. Again, I hope I am not coming off as a snob and I know this is an odd request, but I know the members on OSO are the best people to ask because they are some of the kindest souls I've ever had the pleasure of meeting.

So now that I have bored you with my story and odd request, if you would be willing to take me up on y offer or know someone who might, comment below or shoot me a private message. Also, if you feel I am crazy and this is an awful request, let me know and i'll delete the thread. I appreciate your time and understanding.

Sincerely,
Ryan J. Waggener
Old 04-18-2014, 10:43 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't imagine a request to go boating in an event like the Shootout would ever be considered bad taste!

A couple of questions though, are you looking for a performance boat or a cruiser type? V hull or cat if performance, and finally, what would be your special requirements?
I will do what I can to help!
Old 04-18-2014, 11:00 PM
Registered

Received 151 Likes on 65 Posts

Man- I'd help you in a heartbeat, I just don't live any where near there. Summer O is a great guy, and I'm sure if he could would take u. Also Orthobam is an awesome dude, I know these guys have places out there. Not a bad request at all man! Stand proud bud, great story, way to reach out. This community of Oso is powerful with great people. And the best part is- a lot of these guys have a ton of $$ but as I've learned are even better people, which $$ can't buy.

Last edited by precisiondetails; 04-18-2014 at 11:02 PM.
Old 04-18-2014, 11:52 PM
Registered

Received 44 Likes on 19 Posts

Coming from someone that has also Recently had a life impacting event - I also reached out through this site and was offered help with my issue by many great members.

Truely special dynamic in this day to see people that will be so willing to help and make sacrifices for others... to all the people that have already replied...

This is what makes high performance boating "cool" - thank you.

Last edited by PigNaPoke; 04-18-2014 at 11:53 PM. Reason: big thumbs. small phone
Old 04-19-2014, 10:40 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

SummerObsession,
Thank you for replying! As much as I love cruisers and taking a late night cruise under the stars on the lake, my passion is definitely for high performance! When i bought my boat I instantly caught the fever and wanted bigger and faster, but like many I had dreams but not the budget to match. As most anyone who has had a major medical experience they know the cost of long-term care. I am Very fortunate that my wife does such a great job with my care and that my family is so supportive.

So, I definitely want to experience the run in a high performance boat if possible. As I stated before I will not turn down any option, but if I were able to choose it would be high performance. I feel odd requesting specific lengths or styles because I do not want to exclude a group that I know includes great people. If I look at it from a medical standpoint I would say I would be safer in most V's over 35 and Cat 's over 32.

I want to reiterate that I want to do this as much to experience the comrodery and people as the boats. Trust me, I love the boats as much as anyone, but I have learned it is the people who matter!!

I thank you all ahead of time,

Ryan
Old 04-19-2014, 11:37 AM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Good luck. I'm sure you'll get more than one offer. This is a great with mostly great people.
Old 04-20-2014, 09:16 AM
Registered

Ryan:
I will be at LOTO for the Shootout again this year and provided I run in the poker run this year (last year due to the heavy rains there was so much floating debris in the water I elected to save my skegs to run in the Shootout!), you are more than welcome to ride with me. I'm building a new 48 MTI that should ride like a dream for you!
There are plenty of people that will be willing to help out!
Shoot me a PM and give me your contact info, we can make it happen! Also, check in over at www.midwestboatparty.com for info that is more "local" to LOTO, as a lot of the members either live and/or boat at LOTO.
Old 04-20-2014, 12:16 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll help any way I can.

We can organize closer to the "event".....which is the greatest week of the year!!!!
Old 04-20-2014, 01:35 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Orthobam
I'll help any way I can.

We can organize closer to the "event".....which is the greatest week of the year!!!!
I thought he said he wanted to ride in a FAST boat. Haha! I knew you would help. Can't wait!

Last edited by SummerObsession; 04-20-2014 at 02:24 PM.
Old 04-20-2014, 02:28 PM
Registered

I.C.U. : One of these days I will actually read one of your posts. All I do is start to read what you write and then look at your avatars and then I can't remember what I was doing before that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.