top speed sonic 45 triple 575? >

top speed sonic 45 triple 575?

Notices

top speed sonic 45 triple 575?

Old 04-21-2014, 09:19 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Man.....tough crowd.

I have always been impressed with Sonics for the room they have, and the speed they run for a straight bottom. Someone commented 60s wich is way too low, then I saw a 93 mph which is way too high IMO. My guess is low 80's all day every day.

It may be a straight bottom, but comparing it is real old school boats is not fair. It has lighter construction, and has a higher x and more efficient drive line than old iron.

The cabin lay out is nice, and roomy, use the filler cushion and sleep 10 Over all fit and finish on a Sonic is great IMO.

Note- That boat has been on the market for about 5 years
Old 04-21-2014, 01:00 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 4bus
Note- That boat has been on the market for about 5 years
I'd guess the Elway boat, which I assume it is, was sold once in this time frame as it's now listed down here just south of Houston. I don't remember it being a local boat when it was for sale then.

With trip 575sc's I'd say top speed right at 80+-

That would be an awesome boat to own and keep in Galveston Bay/Clear Lake marina for weekending.
I've never been inside one but would bet it's as big in the salon as a Fleetwood mobile home.
Sure wouldn't want to have it as a trailer only boat, LOL!!!

See ya,
Kelly
Old 04-21-2014, 01:02 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by huskyrider
I'd guess the Elway boat, which I assume it is, was sold once in this time frame as it's now listed down here just south of Houston. I don't remember it being a local boat when it was for sale then.

With trip 575sc's I'd say top speed right at 80+-

That would be an awesome boat to own and keep in Galveston Bay/Clear Lake marina for weekending.
I've never been inside one but would bet it's as big in the salon as a Fleetwood mobile home.
Sure wouldn't want to have it as a trailer only boat, LOL!!!

See ya,
Kelly
I'm sure it has sold, however it has been for sale every year for at least the past 5 years.

I look at the big Sonics all the time, the next boat is a 47 fountain or a 45 Sonic.
Old 04-21-2014, 02:12 PM
Registered

I have a Hustler 388 with triple 525sc runs over 100 32pitch 136 drives 5200rpm gps3500rpm 72 mph it is in the hustler site
Old 04-21-2014, 03:13 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by blindriver
I have a Hustler 388 with triple 525sc runs over 100 32pitch 136 drives 5200rpm gps3500rpm 72 mph it is in the hustler site
Huh? Not a very fair comparison seeing you can do jumping jacks in the cabin of the 45 Sonic in question here
Old 04-21-2014, 05:02 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by blindriver

And my wife's car goes 171 MPH, and it's only a single ...... Wtf does that have to do with a 45 Sonic
Old 04-21-2014, 05:40 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 4bus

I look at the big Sonics all the time, the next boat is a 47 fountain or a 45 Sonic.
Discounting the beak I'd say they're both 45 footers but I'd guess that the Sonic will have a 6 to 9 inch wider beam.
Even if it doesn't I'd bet that there's at least 6 inches more headroom in the salon.
During my search I mostly previewed the older Fountain 38 Sport Cruiser's, Sonic 38's. and Baje 38 Specials as they were the closest in asking prices to my allowance as opposed to more upscale Mfg's older boats. One thing was certain then, the Sport Cruiser felt more claustrophobic below deck as compared to the other two.
She'd be an AWESOME boat to own.

Originally Posted by jeff32
Curious to know about the speed with those 575's,but there is always been on my side, a feeling of not so good engines with those... That's why I'm not calling!
Can't wait to find one!!!
I've got a bud with a 40' Outlaw with those powerplants set side by side. His motors were and never had been problematic but my understanding is that there was a difference in the older blowers and the newer blowers on the 575SC which affected lubrication to the rotors and ease of changing the gear lube. He opted to go with caution and have them serviced/updated and then got hosed by the rebuilder who reused old fastening parts rather than replacing them. This led to a catastrophic failure on the first outing,
Once replaced with 871's she really came to life.
I wouldn't sweat it a bit as to having those powerplants in your potential boat, just determine which blowers you have,
older-vs-newer and act accordingly if she's up in hours.
Congrats on your potential purchase, if want to keep her down here where it's warm we'd be glad to watch her for you, LOL !!!

See ya,
Kelly
Old 04-21-2014, 05:51 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Ok. I'm gonna slightly derail this thread though not completely as its a 575 question. If the op is genuinely interested he may appreciate this question.

Some of the 42s I've looked at had this engine. Most know I won't be ready to purchase until next year however I like doing homework. First what years and blowers are the "bad" ones. Lol. Second merc calls for 91 octane. Most marinas by the house only have 90. Boat will be lift kept and marina fueled. How dangerous is 90 vs 91 in this application?
Old 04-21-2014, 06:36 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by huskyrider
Discounting the beak I'd say they're both 45 footers but I'd guess that the Sonic will have a 6 to 9 inch wider beam.
Even if it doesn't I'd bet that there's at least 6 inches more headroom in the salon.
During my search I mostly previewed the older Fountain 38 Sport Cruiser's, Sonic 38's. and Baje 38 Specials as they were the closest in asking prices to my allowance as opposed to more upscale Mfg's older boats. One thing was certain then, the Sport Cruiser felt more claustrophobic below deck as compared to the other two.
She'd be an AWESOME boat to own.

I've got a bud with a 40' Outlaw with those powerplants set side by side. His motors were and never had been problematic but my understanding is that there was a difference in the older blowers and the newer blowers on the 575SC which affected lubrication to the rotors and ease of changing the gear lube. He opted to go with caution and have them serviced/updated and then got hosed by the rebuilder who reused old fastening parts rather than replacing them. This led to a catastrophic failure on the first outing,
Once replaced with 871's she really came to life.
I wouldn't sweat it a bit as to having those powerplants in your potential boat, just determine which blowers you have,
older-vs-newer and act accordingly if she's up in hours.
Congrats on your potential purchase, if want to keep her down here where it's warm we'd be glad to watch her for you, LOL !!!

See ya,
Kelly

The cabin in the sonic is wider (not much) and has more head room. The cockpit of the 47 fountain is bigger than a 45 Sonic with trips. The beak is not two foot, don't get me started.

You also forgot to mention the steps and how much faster the fountain is
Old 04-21-2014, 06:39 PM
Registered

Lightbulb

I don't think any are really bad but I had heard the same things he had.
I'd have to ask Tom as he's the one who told me about his.
My understanding is that it was lubrication issues but I'm certainly no expert as to the nature of what, why, and how.
Hopefully one of the more knowledgeable members can add to this as, to me, it was rather vague.

4bus, I'm curious, had you heard anything along these lines when contemplating your purchase?

See ya,
Kelly

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.