Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
I can't get a F#@$'in break!!!!!! >

I can't get a F#@$'in break!!!!!!

Notices

I can't get a F#@$'in break!!!!!!

Old 08-18-2002, 02:58 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ken, I`m right there with u. I always say, "I don`t mind spending the money I just want them to be honest and DO IT RIGHT. So many are in to game playin. I always like to say treat it as it were yours!
Old 08-19-2002, 11:38 AM
Registered

Not that it matters, but I don't get caught up in the "marine engine builder only" bullcrap. I had a well respected circle track builder in my area build my motor and it was turnkey everytime.
Old 08-19-2002, 01:18 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ken, we gotta talk.....

I built my 351w myself turn key everytime, little problems here and there..

i bet we could work something out.
Old 08-19-2002, 01:26 PM
Registered

I agree. Go to the circle track guys! They are used to building BIG POWER out of naturally aspirated motors that HAVE to be TURN KEY! They are also building motors to withstand heat, dirt, etc. They are usually much more reasonable and usually really honest.
Old 08-19-2002, 01:35 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

beerock,

Thanks for the offer but I have some of it undercontrol myself and the rest will be taken care of mid week.
Old 08-19-2002, 03:18 PM
Registered

You know I have a great idea, all the big restaurant chains have personal shoppers, who go and eat at the restaurant and rate the service. Mercruiser should be appalled at the way some of these marine dealers/technicians treat people repairing their boats. Hit them where it hurts. Thank goodness I have done all my own work, and what I've saved over the years would pay for a new boat. I have challenged these marine guys to tell me exactly what is the difference between marine and other GM parts, no one really has a credible answer except for the brass lining of intake water passages on aluminum and lobe seperation angle on camshafts. Let's get real, GM doesn't manufacture an exclusive set of parts and says "Oh these are marine duty!, they merely specify that their better lines of parts are marine duty. Those better line of parts are easily attainable thru a GM dealer for a decent price, hence the line of Gm performance Parts motors, way better deal than Mercruiser. Also keep in mind that a majority of what you pay for when buying marine is other people's problems thru warranty. If you don't need that warranty don't pay the inflated price. Realistically what would you pay for a cast crank, cast piston, cast rod 454 from your local ad paper, maybe $1500 if brand new, you can pick them up for the $450.00 core charge at a GM dealer if you know the service department.
Old 05-25-2004, 04:32 PM
Registered

Default Re: I can't get a F#@$'in break!!!!!!

Ken' I feel your pain. I have a 26' Envision that had a 454 330hp and cracked a piston last summer. I had a friend of mine( marine machanic) come over and do all my work on the side. No problems work,shot the **** and drink some beers. I found a used 496HO online and did all the back ground work on it and got all the bases covered and I agreed to have his marina install it. I also called around to some other marina's and asked what it would cost to install the new motor and thay could keep my old motor. The average cost was about 800 to 1000 dollars. I told his boss about that and trusting that my friend was going to do all the work he told me that that sounded about right. Well I ran the boat on friday and ran very well but I need to go to 23p prop. I got the bill on Saturday and it was for 28 hours of work and about $200.00 worth of parts = $500.00 for my old engine that also had a crack in the block. Bill $2300.00. I am still pissed just writing this. I have a meeting setup with his boss and the owner on wed of this week and I will keep you posted.
Old 05-25-2004, 04:50 PM
Registered

0 oil pressure can be many cheep fixes. So before sinking the boat for the insurance, ground out the sending unit and check the guage. Or if you just had the motor done, pull the oil sending unit and check it for debris. Is the block was not flushed right, crap gets caught in strange places and give funky readings.

Calm down and breath through your nose.
Old 05-25-2004, 05:15 PM
Danny_Ocean

Can't begin to tell you how many "certified marine mechanics" I found that don't know their ass from their elbow. So, I got some books (and asked a lot of questions here) and did it myself. Same crap with my Corvette. I'll do it myself unless it takes special tools or a lift.

D. Ocean
Pompano Beach, FLA

Old 05-25-2004, 10:47 PM
B-MAX REPAIR
Platinum Member

Hey Ken Hang In There No One Has Had More Bad Luck Than Me.8 Bravo One Drives,3 Total Motor Blow-ups,9 Rebuilds, And A Run Of Bad Luck In The Year 2001-2003 That Cost More Than A New House.im Hooked. Walk Away For A Week And You Will Have A Better Out Look On It.. Good Luck

Quick Reply: I can't get a F#@$'in break!!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.