Any advantages documenting a boat in Florida

Notices

Any advantages documenting a boat in Florida

Old 04-27-2014, 08:19 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by commandersander
If your "story" coincides with the 90 requirement here, no need for in state registration. My 357 has been here for 14 yrs, documented, no in state registration.
I'm not familiar with the "90 requirement"
Old 04-27-2014, 08:25 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Keith Atlanta
You might be able to pull it off on the west coast of Florida but over here they will pull you over 75% of the time you have the boat out. No numbers means PROBLEMS. There are several threads on this. The DNR and or coast guard pulls you over if you dont have FL stickers. Just a fact of life. If you can deal with that.... or dont have to deal with it. It is fine.
We've taken the Formula out probably twenty times out and about around from Marco Island to Punta Gorda and have been seen by just about every kind of "water cops"

Cape Coral WP
Lee County Sheriffs Dept
ICE

And haven't been pulled over yet, we don't have any numbers on the boat, the boat is CG documented and has a MO state registration on it, but that runs out in 2016, then I'm screwed.

I'm guessing no one has noticed my "stealth" all white boat yet.
Old 04-27-2014, 08:32 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

Yeah, we know you have it easy. I have friends who live over there. However, I have friends that live(d) over there and live in Pompano now with a nice Invincible and had to register it because they got harassed so much - and it was literally harassment. Up here in the Delray area they are the same way. It just isnt worth the risk to have a drink on a dinner cruise and end up with a BUI. They really are tough in Palm Beach. I have friends that are professional fisherman and had to deal with it on their Contenders....

Depends on your area but they are pricks here.
Old 04-27-2014, 08:41 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

I understand what your saying, the WP are jerk-offs at LOTO too, I hate being pulled over for nothing, that's why I'm trying to do what's not only the cheapest, but the best way not to get focked with when I'm out and about, it seems every boat I see down here that is registered with Florida tags on it has numbers, even the big cruisers, it's sounding that it may be best just to forget about documenting the boat and just pay the dahm state taxes and put numbers on the boat.
Old 04-28-2014, 01:55 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Any other help, thanks.
Old 04-28-2014, 10:46 PM
Registered

CG docs are a far better title to ownership than state title and most new boat loans require it. The ownership is considered universal and respected as no state to state encumbrances.
Also when you have CG docs you place sticker on port side above deck. When CG or LEO sees that it's respected. State reg sticker and numbers go on port side of boat toward bow.
Police etc know the difference. You are on the water and can be boarded for anything I have less trouble with it being CG doc. We have been looked at and once they see sticker they wave and move on. We are on 36 cc here in SRQ and this is the second doc boat we haven bought. Taxes are the same but doc fees are higher.
Old 04-29-2014, 06:28 AM
Registered

Received 1,445 Likes on 804 Posts

Tell me if this is correct.
My boat is a CG doc boat becuase in Indiana it kept you from paying any sells tax and the boat was documented when I bought it.

Like most state you still pay for yearly reg.

Came down here and same thing but they did not asign me numbers, said just the sticker and of course you boats name.

Keith,

Are you saying this will get me pulled over? I don't even have any FL numbers on the reg to display?
Old 04-29-2014, 07:40 AM
Registered

Location: Northern, KY (Cincinnati) Lake St Clair, MI Norris Lake, TN
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just Google CG documentation for a company that does documentation in FL. Call them and ask if there are any tax/registration benefits to documenting in FL. There are huge advantages in some states and none in others. No offense to anyone here but I've seen some really bad, uninformed opinions on this matter in these forums.
Old 04-29-2014, 07:47 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

These are the things that I'm talking about, if there's no tax saving benefit I'm not sure why to CG document your boat, in Missouri I saved about 5K, sounds like there's still some confusion what's the best and cheapest way to register a boat in Florida, I'll try the DMV and check out a documenting company.