Biscayne Bay Accident news...

Notices

Biscayne Bay Accident news...

Old 05-14-2014, 10:41 AM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
Something is up with those Carrera GT's......even the previous owner (Graham Rahal, race car driver) said something was wrong with the car, very tough to drive. There have been other fatal accidents with them so there might be something to this angle. It was an oddball car for Porsche from the V10 engine to the mid engine design so maybe they got something wrong.
I agree with you but when race car guys are saying there is a problem then who is qualified to drive it? In another case two guys were killed at a track day and Porsche paid out on that case.
Whoaaaaaaa there cowboy! Graham NEVER said there was a problem, or something was wrong with the car. Here is what he said...

It's a race car for the street. Simple as that. It asks for and needs respect at all time. It's not a car for people who don't have experience driving high end vehicles or race cars really for that matter. However I believe Roger was an experienced road racer. To me the CGT is in the top 3 vehicles ever made, possibly the greatest road car ever made.
Just because the car doesn't protect you from yourself doesn't mean there is something "wrong", it just means the average, or even above average Joe can't push it to the limits safely. (ESPECIALLY on the street!)

This is NO different that the boats that we love on this forum. The 43 OL speed run needed an experienced crew to get it to that speed and bring it back to the dock. The big cats aren't for the new boat owner, the big Vees aren't for the new guy either. There are planes that are like that as well.

There are reasons tracks have run off areas, and gravel traps, and barriers (and no trees or poles). There are reasons offshore races have all the limits and clear areas that they have. When people get too crazy on the street, or the local lake, river, or bay, people can, and do, get hurt.
Old 05-14-2014, 01:05 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Something is up with those Carrera GT's......even the previous owner (Graham Rahal, race car driver) said something was wrong with the car, very tough to drive. There have been other fatal accidents with them so there might be something to this angle. It was an oddball car for Porsche from the V10 engine to the mid engine design so maybe they got something wrong.
That sounds like PI lawyer garbage. If they're driving with reason then that dude is off making another horrible movie. Any vehicle can be pushed beyond it's limits, on a street in LA is not the place for it.
Old 05-14-2014, 02:16 PM
Registered

Received 887 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by Pilotpete
Whoaaaaaaa there cowboy! Graham NEVER said there was a problem, or something was wrong with the car. Here is what he said...

Just because the car doesn't protect you from yourself doesn't mean there is something "wrong", it just means the average, or even above average Joe can't push it to the limits safely. (ESPECIALLY on the street!)

This is NO different that the boats that we love on this forum. The 43 OL speed run needed an experienced crew to get it to that speed and bring it back to the dock. The big cats aren't for the new boat owner, the big Vees aren't for the new guy either. There are planes that are like that as well.

There are reasons tracks have run off areas, and gravel traps, and barriers (and no trees or poles). There are reasons offshore races have all the limits and clear areas that they have. When people get too crazy on the street, or the local lake, river, or bay, people can, and do, get hurt.
I get what you are saying but also if a professional race car driver is saying the car is difficult to drive then you have to agree that it may have not been a good decision to release it as a street car for Joe Public. Also remember the driver was an accomplished racer as well so this wasn't a high school kid behind the wheel.

Also consider, if Outerlimits rented that 43SV to weekend boaters that are accustomed to jet skis and pontoon boats you would certainly expect product liability issues. OL could argue they were experienced boaters but the PI lawyers would easily win that argument in regards to the weapon that the 43SV is and how very few could pilot that boat without issues!

You didn't include a link but I will:
http://www.autoweek.com/article/2013...news/131209996

A quote from the article:
Rahal compared the Carrera GT to a 2010 Ferrari 599 GTO. Some of his observations and his descriptions of how difficult the Carrera was to drive are chilling in light of the crash. "It says it has traction control, but that traction control on that car is not going to do a thing to save you," Rahal said. "And that's what I love about it. Part of me is very happy about it and part of me regrets it.
Old 05-14-2014, 02:50 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Not only are there people around there are a lot of other boats around. Way to congested for me. Always go back the way you came when you get stuck, even rocking the boat from side to side would of been better. If it was my boat and this happened to me I would take full responsibility. The title Captain is there for a reason, even if your not at the helm it's your responsibility to look over the safety of anyone on or near your vessel.

Even if the guy who was killed was just helping and maybe made the wrong decision to push while the motors were on the minute someone steps in the water those motors should of been killed, not a human life.

My condolences to friends and family.
Old 05-14-2014, 03:49 PM
Registered
Gold Member

I get what you are saying but also if a professional race car driver is saying the car is difficult to drive then you have to agree that it may have not been a good decision to release it as a street car for Joe Public. Also remember the driver was an accomplished racer as well so this wasn't a high school kid behind the wheel.
The CGT is NOT difficult to drive.

The CGT requires an expert when pushed near the limits. If driven within what is reasonable and prudent for street driving, it's no harder than any other car. By the same token, I could drive the OL boat all day long and never get hurt. Of course, I wouldn't be anywhere NEAR 50% of their speed, but I'd be safe. When I recently had the opportunity to drive one of the most unreal performance cars around, I respected the environment in which I drove it. I wasn't on a track, and I didn't drive it like I was. There are TONS of cars out there that will bite you VERY hard if you don't respect the vehicle and the environment.

In the case of the Biscayne accident, operations outside what could be considered safe for the environment in which it was operated MAY have been a contributing factor. In the case of the Paul Walker accident, it appears that operations were conducted outside that which was safe for the experience and environment.

I, for one, would always like the opportunity to buy whatever car/boat/plane I'd like. It is up to me to operate it in a safe and "entertaining" manner. I don't need someone else deciding what I should and shouldn't have for me.

Just because Roger Rodas had racing experience didn't mean he was up to driving THAT car near the limit, especially on the street.

Last edited by Pilotpete; 05-14-2014 at 03:54 PM.
Old 05-14-2014, 04:32 PM
Registered

I can't help but wonder if the sand was sucked out from under that young mans feet an then sucked him to the props. Very sad an should never have happen.
Old 05-14-2014, 05:57 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by akaboatman
I can't help but wonder if the sand was sucked out from under that young mans feet an then sucked him to the props. Very sad an should never have happen.
I was thinking something similar. Or perhaps he slipped while pushing and was sucked into the props from the side of the boat where there was enough water depth (if the boat was only stuck near the centerline). I can see how someone might feel they are safe pushing on the side of the boat where he is shown in the picture than at the transom. Still not a scenario I would engage in regardless of hindsight in this incident. Props scare the hell out of me.

Simply food for thought. I am certainly not coming to any conclusions considering I was not there.

My condolences to this young man's family and all involved.

Let's all be as safe as we can out there this season.
Old 04-23-2015, 09:47 PM
Registered

Received 887 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by akaboatman
State said no charges for the vessel operator.......

Prosecutors will not charge popular Miami radio personality Lazaro “DJ Laz” Mendez in the boating accident that killed a man off Key Biscayne’s Nixon Beach, the Miami Herald reported Thursday evening.

The accident happened in May 2014 when a 42-foot promotional boat helmed by Mendez got stuck in a sandbar. Ernesto Hernandez, 23, was helping others push the vessel when he was fatally sliced by the engine’s propellers.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/news/loca...#storylink=cpy
Old 04-24-2015, 05:49 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

State said no charges for the vessel operator.......

Prosecutors will not charge popular Miami radio personality Lazaro “DJ Laz” Mendez in the boating accident that killed a man off Key Biscayne’s Nixon Beach, the Miami Herald reported Thursday evening.

The accident happened in May 2014 when a 42-foot promotional boat helmed by Mendez got stuck in a sandbar. Ernesto Hernandez, 23, was helping others push the vessel when he was fatally sliced by the engine’s propellers.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/news/loca...#storylink=cpy
You can't legislate common sense. Apparently the driver was not legally drunk. He will have to live with this his whole life though.
Old 04-24-2015, 12:21 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

While I get the operator of that boat had absolutely no intention of hurting anyone.... I would have though his careless operation of the throttles with people pushing the boat would have been enuff for an involuntary manslaughter charge. He certainly will have to life with this for the rest of his life, and that may very well be punishment enuff....... I wonder if the family will be filing a civil suit soon???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.