Biscayne Bay Accident news... >

Biscayne Bay Accident news...

Notices

Biscayne Bay Accident news...

Old 05-06-2014, 10:21 AM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll admit, I'm not going to watch the video. A little too close to home for me. My ex was water skiing up by Sacramento with her step dad driving. He had the boat in neutral while she was reboarding. Wake caught him off guard and he put his hand down to keep from falling. Only problem was, he put it down on the throttle and put the drive in gear. I'll spare you all the details, but there is no reason she didn't bleed out. There is no reason she didn't lose her leg. There is no reason she should be able to walk, or run. But none of that was the outcome. So, for the time we were together, I could only have jet drives.

Anyone in the water around the boat, engines are friggin' OFF. No exceptions.
Old 05-06-2014, 10:35 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
Video shows boat stuck on a sandbar, engines throwing a rooster tail and the guy in the water is pushing from the back.......

http://www.miamiherald.com/2014/05/0...boat-when.html

South Florida radio personality DJ Laz , was at the helm of his boat when a man trying to help push it off a sandbar was killed after getting tangled in the motor.

Law enforcement identified the dead man as Ernesto Hernandez, 23, and said he was on another pleasure craft behind Key Biscayne’s old Nixon estate, when he noticed a group trying to push DJ Laz’s 40-foot Hydra Sport open fisherman into deeper water.
Where's the video link as I do not see it? Your link just takes me to the write up on this.
Old 05-06-2014, 10:45 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

photo from another site
http://forums.floridasportsman.com/a...6&d=1399324990
Old 05-06-2014, 11:08 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

I not watching it either.
I'm at a loss for words for how stupid that was.
Old 05-06-2014, 11:15 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by f_inscreenname
I not watching it either.
I'm at a loss for words for how stupid that was.
+1
Old 05-06-2014, 11:23 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Allowing anybody behind a boat while the engines are on is plain stupidity. I'm sorry but a captain has to put his passengers comfort and safety as the #1 priority, the next most important thing is a distant second.

Years ago we were anchored in a cove and my buddy's sister jumped into the water off the swim platform. I told her to be careful but she didn't realize how far out the drive was past the platform. She gashed her knee very deeply and needed stitches and will have the scar for life. Ever since then my passengers who weren't boaters got a warning and visual on how far the drives stick out and how to navigate around them when swimming. I actually raised the drives so they could visualize what was beneath the water.

I can't even fathom letting anyone near a running motor, let alone one under power.

I wouldn't be surprised if the prop guard issue is raised by the lawyers.

Last edited by Indy; 05-06-2014 at 11:26 AM.
Old 05-06-2014, 11:34 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jpzaluski
I can't even imagine.... I don't even like people behind my boat running while not in gear. Reaffirms my fears for sure.
YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED directly behind my boat with engine on. Period. End.
Old 05-06-2014, 11:34 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The video I saw, doesn't show the incident but the moments before. There were 4 - 6 guys pushing from the side and motor bracket while (it looks like) at least two motors were in gear and at pretty high RPM. While a very unfortunate incident, thank god there weren't more injuries. If the boat had moved off of the sand bar, no doubt more people would have been injured.... Very sad for everyone involved. Witnessing something like that has probably mentally scared everyone that was there for life...

Last edited by low_psi; 05-06-2014 at 11:39 AM.
Old 05-06-2014, 11:40 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's sad really BUT really sad. I have not mentioned it of how sadden i am. I was there as this was at Nixion beach in Key Biscayne. I'm speechless and distroyed. I didn't know the guy but that fact to see that unwind in front of you and know that it's someone from your area sadness the heck out of me. Unfortantley it's fault on both sides. On Dj Laz for being a dumb ass and rev up his motors to SHOW OFF with a huge rooster tail and allowing people to stand behind his boat. As we know that is NOT the correct way to get out from being stuck. All you are doing is getting more stuck especially at that sandbar that it's hard sand & the kids fault for not being smart about standing along the side and behind a boat under power. There is a Law firm on it already. Very but very sad. Our hearts are with the family.
Old 05-06-2014, 11:41 AM
Registered

Received 597 Likes on 242 Posts

Seen a guy jump overboard and push a little 18 foot flats boat a foot from the running motor boat while pushing it off a small sandbar a few months ago, i had to turn around and walk away .

Just last week i watched a couple leave the beach that obviously been drinking. The gulf is calm so he loads her onboard the 25 foot i/O and than he jumps in and starts the boat and puts it in reverse and walks back on the swim platform and starts to pull up the anchor .Amazing he didn't catch the line or stumble and slip into the prop.

Seen all this stupidity too many times over the last 45 years.

Ist thing when running aground always go out thee exact path you came in

2nd back out as the drives may not have as much thrust in reverse but the thrust is lifting the stern of the boat which is usually the lowest part instead of driving it deeper when in forward.

Also the prop wash is digging a hole under the transom and bottom of the boat as it passes by.

So if you run aground throw every body or weight you have up in the bow and trim the drives up but not so high you are sucking air and ease the boat into reverse . now be patient and give it a minute and soon you will be going out the same path you came in .

Also the benefit of reverse you are not sucking sand unless you have thru hull pickups

Unless you are absolutely high and dry you will slowly back off your grounding with no wild roostertails or hysterics and soon be on your way.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.