Notices

Newbe with a first boat

Old 05-09-2014, 12:36 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have rust on the trailer then you'll need to sand, prime, and paint. Not sure what to use but any automotive store will sell you some good paint if you have the equipment to apply it. As for the boat I agree and don't spend a lot on mods, maybe the captains call because the 350 will sound nice opened up, but save your money for the next one. Enjoy the boat, I remember my first one and think about how simple, less expensive, and maintenance free it was.
Old 05-09-2014, 01:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a nice home shop....

2 1/2 car garage
60,000 btu radiant heater
1951 Kellogg American 80gal 5hp two-stage 220 compressor
1941 Delta drill press
220 Lincoln mig welder
TONS of hand tools

I was thinking of using POR 15 on the frame.

Last edited by Jonesyfxr; 05-09-2014 at 01:35 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 05-09-2014, 04:38 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

POR-15 is for painting over rust, hence the name. Painting over rust on a car frame or floorboards that are covered up may be fine, but on a boat trailer it's going to look like crud if you can see rust bubbles lurking underneath the POR. If you can't sand it, maybe a textured bedliner spray or some hammertone paint in a flat would be better. POR is going to show EVERY imperfection.

As for polishing the boat, careful attention needs to be paid to dissimilar surfaces (gelcoat, painted and vinyl decals). Get trigger happy with the high speed buffer and you'll be stripping off the rest of the decals off and putting a wrap on!
Old 05-09-2014, 05:00 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonesyfxr
Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks.
Bikini's without attitudes are hard to find, so start looking/acquiring.

Don't stop at a restaurant/bar with passengers and be shocked they expect you to pay the tab. So, either discuss this somehow or don't stop...again, unless you expect this may happen.

Set up a 'footwear' rule for passenger's now. Same with warm/cold attire...and potty breaks....LOL.

You may laught at above but everyone becomes victim of the above...as petty as it may seem.

Enjoy your first boat ! May it bring you many,many good memories.
Old 05-09-2014, 05:04 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 249 Likes on 136 Posts

Congrats!!!
Old 05-09-2014, 06:05 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by SB
Bikini's without attitudes are hard to find, so start looking/acquiring.

Don't stop at a restaurant/bar with passengers and be shocked they expect you to pay the tab. So, either discuss this somehow or don't stop...again, unless you expect this may happen.

Set up a 'footwear' rule for passenger's now. Same with warm/cold attire...and potty breaks....LOL.

You may laught at above but everyone becomes victim of the above...as petty as it may seem.

Enjoy your first boat ! May it bring you many,many good memories.
^^I like these^^
Old 05-09-2014, 06:08 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Speedracer29
POR-15 is for painting over rust, hence the name. Painting over rust on a car frame or floorboards that are covered up may be fine, but on a boat trailer it's going to look like crud if you can see rust bubbles lurking underneath the POR. If you can't sand it, maybe a textured bedliner spray or some hammertone paint in a flat would be better. POR is going to show EVERY imperfection.

As for polishing the boat, careful attention needs to be paid to dissimilar surfaces (gelcoat, painted and vinyl decals). Get trigger happy with the high speed buffer and you'll be stripping off the rest of the decals off and putting a wrap on!
I know I'd have to do some sanding. I do have access to a sand blaster pot. I might just do that.
Old 05-09-2014, 07:35 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If you decide to sandblast the trailer, you may as well switch it over to bunks while you have the boat off. It's fairly inexpensive, and you won't end up dropping a boat on a concrete ramp, or the rub marks on the hull from rollers.
Old 05-09-2014, 07:38 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have the means, and I think you do. Wet sand the hull and clear coat it and it will look good for another ten years. Yes its labor, but not as much as you may think.

Congrats on the boat
Old 05-09-2014, 07:40 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the sickness! 2 seasons ago i tried Presta gelcoat compound and finish with Rejex with great success, after reading a thread on here!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.