Notices

Pier 57 Horror stories

Old 05-22-2014, 10:14 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They dealt me a ****ty hand on that trailer of there's at the Thunder Run last year!!! Don't evan think I got a pair..... Then they had the balls to thank me and said " we hope to see you next year".
Old 05-22-2014, 10:39 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chris,

First of all, these threads are bad for a small industry and like any business owner we hate to see things like this. This is not the first time you've chimed into a thread trying to stir something up on us either Chris.

We do what we can, when we can and when it makes sense whether customers, online advertisers, poker runs, charities, etc.

I have listened to and appreciate your concerns re: the 1984 Formula 402 & Trailer you bought from us. I have also viewed the description you sent on our website which was cut and pasted from the owner Larry Fales email when we listed boat that was on consignment and you knew that when you bought boat.

I then talked to Greg Weber who has been with me for more than 10 years and I asked him if he told you the motors were done by us and his response was "no, we are not and have not ever been in engine rebuilding business, Chris you knew of the r/r work we did but you also knew Larry had the engine work done on the boat and that the boat was here for sale on brokerage and sold as is".

The boat was sold for a Mr Larry Fales by Pier 57 on consignment and not owned by us. When selling a brokerage boat, we pass on the information the seller prepares us with. As you said, "the description says we did the engines, it in fact says "Heads Were Weak So We Just Had Heads Redone" which was done by the seller Larry Fales. I know you said you did not see our entire shop but Chris you are a smart guy and do your due diligence, I am not sure how you knew everything about a motor, it's tolerances, etc plus you spent the greater part of a day here going thru the boat and somehow assumed we were an engine shop (and missed it while you were here) and yet you saw no indication of machining equipment, dyno, etc and never asked for a receipt but wanted all the detail on everything else and sent me a lot of emails asking questions but never wanted a receipt.

I apologize for any inconvenience you have had since you purchased this "30 year old boat" more than "two years ago" yet never once did you ever inform us of problems until December 1 & 2, 2013 when you notified me about motors and a few problems you had, then you contact me April 29, 2014 and inform me the motors are apparently not 420's, they are 365's. I always listen and try to view from both sides of the fence but this makes no sense. Why would a consumer not contact a dealer for almost two years on a 1984 402 Formula you bought for (correct me if I am wrong) 28K and expect there to be any type of warranty?

I am sorry you are claiming you have 365's not 420's but I do not know that for fact and when I asked Larry today he said when he bought boat years ago, it was represented to him as having 420's. Larry also said there is nothing he can or will do on this boat since he sold it for so little and it ran fine when it left and then two years later it has all these problems according to you. However after you continued to call him he even offered you 1K as goodwill but you still insist you want him or I to pay for a motor or motors.

My position, you didn't call once until "two years" after you bought boat to say you had one problem and I am not going to pay for any service bills or other to fix this 30 year old boat.

As goodwill and customer service Larry and I both offered you 1K goodwill to help offset your projects in hopes you will buy your next boat here and recommend people to Pier 57. It was an investment in you at the time as a customer. After a thread like this, there is nothing else Larry or I can do, sorry and no, "per your request", I am not going to call people to verify what kind of person you are to back me into corner to pay you more money, sorry.

Regards,

Scott Sjogren
Pier 57
Old 05-22-2014, 10:42 AM
Registered

Received 33 Likes on 4 Posts

great guys to do biz with
Old 05-22-2014, 10:49 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

This is hardly a horror story, less than desirable experience MAYBE! All parties involved have skin in the game & it appears that the accused (seller) has provided full disclosure & transparency. 2yrs is 2yrs no matter how you slice it. The word "We" is simply ones interpretation.

At the end of the day airing ones unsolicited dirty laundry here serves no purpose. IMO the thread originator doesn't really care about another member here, nor are they trying to protect any of us from having a similar experience. Appears to be a 100% personal agenda w/ the hopes that the negativity will rectify ones own doing. Don't agree w/ me, think about how many start threads like this, get what they want & then delete them. If their sincere agenda was to assist others via a "Buyer Be Aware" approach, the thread would remain regardless of the outcome.

Had someone started a thread titled "Considering buying a boat from Pier 57, what was your buying experience?" and those that had a less than desirable experiences chose to share I'd say fine but that's not how this came to be..

I've never bought a boat from Pier 57 but I've visited their facility, participated in their summer fun runs & interacted w/ many of the staff including Scott.
The entire operation is nothing short of 1st Class.

Last edited by NASCAT; 05-22-2014 at 10:52 AM.
Old 05-22-2014, 10:51 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Pier 57 is not within my league of boats - However, I was in the area and decided to stop by and at least "dream" of things to come. While I was there I believe I spoke with Alan Gordon - couldn't ask for a nicer guy. I asked him about drive showers as well as this air "sucking" noise that I have with our 7.4 MPI. He took the time and patience and explained everything to my satisfaction.

3pointstar
Old 05-22-2014, 11:03 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Now that I recall, I think I've seen Scott's response to this several times already. This entire thread should be deleted. Can anyone say "backfire" ??
Old 05-22-2014, 11:03 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

^^^^ All boats make an air "sucking" noise. It is the sound of money exiting your wallet!!!!
Old 05-22-2014, 11:04 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by HyFive578
Now that I recall, I think I've seen Scott's response to this several times already. This entire thread should be deleted. Can anyone say "backfire" ??
Agreed especially based on like the 40:1 positive experiences ratio!
Old 05-22-2014, 11:10 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chris302
Let's hear yours
You might be happier with a 24' toon with a 60hp Johnrude or Force. From Scotts account of what happened it seems you haven't a clue. Maybe you could provide us all a clue with a written rendition of your side of the story. I personally would love to read it and hear all the comments on it.
Old 05-22-2014, 11:19 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Yep, horrible experience. In 2005 I found a beautiful new yellow Donzi 22 Classic on their web page. I called about it and the price was right. The bank they used for financing just happened to be my bank so I let them arrange the loan. Terrible, just terrible. We agreed on a value for my old Hydrostream as a trade in. It was a little less than I wanted but it covered the down payment. Oh, the horror. They agreed to deliver it from Tennessee (or was it Kentucky) and pick up my Hydrostream. I put new wheel bearings on the Hydrostream trailer to make sure it was good for the long tow. Absolutely horrible that I had to do that. Then it turned out that it was the week-end of their big poker run down there and they needed all of their trucks to get the boats in and out of the water so delivery would take about 7 or 8 days instead of 5. How dare they? The boat arrived as promised and the Hydrostream hooked up and taken back. Everything went smooth and awesome and as promised and I still have the boat and I've done a lot of upgrades and I love it. Scott, you don't need to explain anything. You already did that on the other thread. A big thumbs up to Pier 57. I'm proud of the Pier 57 decals on my boat's trailer. That's my horror story.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.