S.b.i. And A.p.b.a. One Body >

S.b.i. And A.p.b.a. One Body

Notices

S.b.i. And A.p.b.a. One Body

Old 08-20-2002, 10:20 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Randy, now your touching on a whole different subject.

There must be a perception of the cost or of being hooked for the long run. You know kinda like, Don't inhale that joint or you'll be shooting heroin next week. Or local races are for the guy who want to race once or twice a year. Out of all the local hot rods, we only got 5 boats for our ProAm races so we stopped it.

The 5 race OPA circuit is/was 5 regional race. 3 in NJ, one in NC and one in NYC. This was the brainchild of Kurt Burger, the head of OPA. We (NJOffshore) are the club that brings out the volunteers to make it happen, only for the three NJ races.

If someone on the west coast wanted to start a division of SBI, I'm sure John would listen as would Michael. All it takes is a lot of time and a sponsor who is willing to put up about $50K per regional race and $100,000 per national race.
Old 08-20-2002, 10:28 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

bodyshot,

What does SBI actually do for NJ Offshore races such as Pt.
Pleasant? Do they provide a sanction which allows you to get the
event insured or is there more to it? It seems like if regional
racing was strong enough it could operate without a national
organization and be just as good for the racers. Will you post
a meeting time and place. We have been laid up all summer
but are hoping to get back into racing next year.

raynman
Old 08-20-2002, 10:35 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll let Ron P explain that one.....or contact OPA......
Old 08-20-2002, 11:11 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

Raynman, NJ Offshore is a local not for profit club that produces offshore races with however has a deal and a sponsor to race in Point Pleasant NJ. Years ago, it was APBA, then US Offshore and most recently SBI. OPA is the NE divison of SBI. This year was the last year of a three year contract with SBI. Next year is up for grabs.

The Santioning body brings the boats. The rest we can do on our own.

Racers like to run a national or divisional series of races in order to accumulate points toward a year end trophy. The 5 race OPA NE series was designed for guys like Marty and Vinny. Other local guys like Wazzup raced in every SBI National race AND our Divisional races. The guys like Randy in Typhoon pay the additional sanctioning fees and join both groups so they can run were ever they want...and usually kick ass.

Make sure you join the mailing list at www.njoffshore.com and I'll keep you informed as to what is in store for racing at the Joisy Shore in 2003.
Old 08-21-2002, 01:10 AM
Chevy-Harley fan
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by Ron P

The only thing I would ask for, is that the two groups have a yearly meeting to set race dates so they don't conflict.
I think they do have a yearly meeting to set race dates so they DO conflict. Seems like a chess game to me and a waste of energy. Energy that could be used to promote their own vision of what Offshore racing should be. If you really beleive in what you are doing, you shouldn't have to look in the rear view mirror to see what the other guys are doing. One step forward and two steps back. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot. Am I the only one that "seas" it this way?
Old 08-21-2002, 04:07 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I've promised to stay out of the political issues for a while, but I will respond to the question about Races versus Poker Runs, and why the latter are so much more popular.

A race is MUCH more destructive to a boat and engines than a Poker Run. Most boaters have no idea how focused and immediate real race conditions are compared to Poker Runs. In addition even the fast boats "cruise" at a speed that the drivers feel comfortable in. There are , of course, exceptions but most Poker Run entrants are not prepared to lay it all out for 100 miles in any conditions they may encounter. Exploding microwave ovens and pottis flying about the cabin are generally not desireable to weekend warriors. In addition, in a Poker Run, you don't need safety cockpits, oxygen, helmets, Life Jackets, and five point harnesses. (All of which should be utilized in boats like My Way, Tom Cat, Jet Set, Sorcerer, etc).

Finally, the skill level in the fast racing classes is well above your typical high performance boaters. Johnny Tomlinson, Joey Imprescia, Jerry Gilbreath, et al are VERY talented people, as witnessed by the laps they put on other racers in similar equipment. These guys have spent decades at speeds and in equipment that most boaters have, at best, a few hours in by comparison. Not a knock on the Poker Run honchos but a simple reality check........ There's a reason why JT throttles the "world's Fastest pleasure boat".

From a financial standpoint racing costs include travel, crew expenses, testing, rebuilds, mandated "obsolesence", and ultra light (Short lived) components. And, while the "P" and Factory classes are designed to limit these costs, one really shouldn't use these boats for normal pleasure use between races.

All in all racing is a whole different animal when compared to Poker Runs........ and lately....... Poker Runs seem like a lot more fun.

T2x
Old 08-21-2002, 04:56 PM
Kent Perroux

Well said TX2.

Many "hot dogs" love to race between short stints, but when temped to an actual all-out race for 45 miles, they start mentally counting all the repairs they will be doing the next two weeks (or longer). Poker Runs allow the boats to run at a little less than full bore which significantly extends the life of the components.

Kent

Old 08-21-2002, 06:24 PM
Registered

Default What a concept...

Boatracing for people who don't like to work on boats.

Lemme see...we race the thing for an hour at a time,
and work on it a couplea hundred.

And you mean to tell me there's folks having more fun than I am?

I prefer the flying toilets and exploding microwaves.

If ya could just find a way to film action like that,
NASCAR would haveta look out...

I can see it now, strapped to the bidet
with a magic chef in his lap,
mounted on a catapult.
Helmet and firesuit mandatory...

APBA's new S-class.
Old 08-21-2002, 06:37 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Is the flying bidet class outboard powered or stern driven?

T2x
Old 08-21-2002, 09:02 PM
Registered

Default I suppose...

It'd haveta be GAS TURBINE powered,
whatever the drive system...
maybe onea those russian magnetic drives, perhaps?

We could get Beano to sponsor the series,
and Anusol to sponsor the vehicles.

Wouldn't need a toolbox anymore,
just a mop, bucket and some T.P.

And no more engine certification...
altho one sanctioning body
might open a Mexican restaraunt,
and insist the competitors all eat there exclusively.

Quick Reply: S.b.i. And A.p.b.a. One Body

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.