Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Does this aluminum weld look like a dirt dobber?? >

Does this aluminum weld look like a dirt dobber??

Notices

Does this aluminum weld look like a dirt dobber??

Old 05-29-2014, 04:26 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm not going to concur with anyone else. I weld aluminum every day and that is rookie at best. Not to mention the huge white area left by poor balance or poor prep. It should be very easy for any decent TIG welder to give you at least 2 180 degree passes of neatly stacked filler. If he knew you were picky a test pass on something similar to dial the machine in.
Old 05-29-2014, 04:42 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

When I worked at Cougar we had a Jamaican dude named Roland that was the tig master, he cut the ends off a coke can, split the can and turned it inside out and welded it back. other than the burn the weld was sooo smooth and fine it was hard to tell. Amazing, when he left he started his own welding Biz in Miami, that's the guy you need
Old 05-29-2014, 05:02 PM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Received 387 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by fastdonzi
When I worked at Cougar we had a Jamaican dude named Roland that was the tig master, he cut the ends off a coke can, split the can and turned it inside out and welded it back. other than the burn the weld was sooo smooth and fine it was hard to tell. Amazing, when he left he started his own welding Biz in Miami, that's the guy you need
Ah yes , total control over his artistry . Some people weld their whole life and still can't weld .
Old 05-30-2014, 11:21 AM
Registered

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

Pulse helps to "stack the dimes". Perhaps his machine doesn't have that
Old 05-30-2014, 11:40 AM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ham_r_down01
Pulse helps to "stack the dimes". Perhaps his machine doesn't have that
Pulse has nothing to do with the aesthetics. Sure it's a band-aid for those that can't weld properly, and it's a great way to keep background amperage to a minimum for people that do... but I can promise you "stacked dimes" were done long before inverters and pulse.
Old 05-30-2014, 12:35 PM
Registered

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

I don't weld much aluminum, but the pulse helped when we made a fuel tank.

I personally would rather run off an old grid machine than a new machine.
Old 05-30-2014, 12:42 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You said a "buddy" did this for you?
Did he charge you?
If he did then tell him to cut it off and do it again. Practice makes perfect.
If he didn't, I don't know if I would be bashing a friend and his free work on an open forum!
Old 05-30-2014, 01:24 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The other valve cover he drilled the vent hole too big,he was suppose to weld it back up and mill back to size,I picked it up today not done, ,just going take it somewhere else,now he cant find my moroso vent fitting, Ive had some good work done before but,http://www.leonardmetal.com/

thanks guys for all the response,

Rob

Im also trying get the new guy to build a carb adapter like this and make it look like a sheet metal intake/valve covers
Attached Thumbnails Does this aluminum weld look like a dirt dobber??-blower-adapter-193.jpg   Does this aluminum weld look like a dirt dobber??-alter-4-053.jpg   Does this aluminum weld look like a dirt dobber??-blower-adapter-177.jpg  

Does this aluminum weld look like a dirt dobber??-blower-adapter-178-medium-.jpg   Does this aluminum weld look like a dirt dobber??-blower-adapter-179.jpg   Does this aluminum weld look like a dirt dobber??-blower-adapter-180.jpg  

Does this aluminum weld look like a dirt dobber??-blower-adapter-182.jpg   Does this aluminum weld look like a dirt dobber??-blower-adapter-183-large-.jpg   Does this aluminum weld look like a dirt dobber??-blower-adapter-183.jpg  

Does this aluminum weld look like a dirt dobber??-blower-adapter-184.jpg  

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 05-30-2014, 01:40 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 5's on Boxes
You said a "buddy" did this for you?
Did he charge you?
If he did then tell him to cut it off and do it again. Practice makes perfect.
If he didn't, I don't know if I would be bashing a friend and his free work on an open forum!

He is charging me,I didnt even ask how much,he's running it thru is biz,tax and all,I wasent expecting a buddy deal, just be fair. He knows im picky and want it show quality,I wanted it done right.Hes done other work and it was ok, like anybody now days you have to hold their hand, baby sit these so called professionals .

if he cuts it off I think he will mess it up!! Also I took this to him in February

When I took it to him we said the holes needed to be milled to make it the right size and since its so thin,i alos left the paper work that told him the size the hole needed to be, We also talked about the weld bead.stacking dime that it was going to be polished and why I spent 380 on valve cover instead of the cheap imports for under 100.

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 05-30-2014, 01:43 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why would you run a carb adapter like that? Talking about killing airflow.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.