Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
LOTO MSWP Man Overboard Drowning >

LOTO MSWP Man Overboard Drowning

Notices

LOTO MSWP Man Overboard Drowning

Old 09-11-2014, 07:44 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

If he jumped out of the boat, how is that the cops fault? IF he fell out of the boat obviously cops would be in the wrong. I'm just thinking if a "criminal" kicks out a back window of a cop car and jumps out is that the cops fault when he gets run over and killed?
Old 09-11-2014, 08:06 AM
Registered

Received 74 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by hogie roll
So the family probably gets a bunch of money in court from the taxpayers.

But the pigs don't get any criminal charges or jail time? The pigs then continue their revenue schemes unabated?

Pigs? Someday you'll need the "pigs". I hope that they aren't there for you in time.
Old 09-11-2014, 08:24 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does it really matter how or what caused this young man to be in the WP boat, the only thing after that point is "once he was handcuffed and put in custody" he was 100% the responsibility of the State of Missouri and the officer......................PERIOD.

Huh???? If he jumped from the boat its on him. He was a dumb **** and the problem fixed it's self. No where is it written that an Officer is 100% responsible for a suspects actions if he is handcuffed in custody.....................PERIOD. I am also curious how many that post on topics like this have ever been involved in law enforcement?
Old 09-11-2014, 08:35 AM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by 314joey

I don't condone 'drinking and driving" a boat, a car or anything, but I get a kick out of the anti-alcohol people jumping on the band wagon here and if you don't have any children you wouldn't understand anyway.
Im not anti-alcohol, ask anyone that knows me, When the time is right I drink llike a fish, I am about being responsible for your deliberate actions. Did the guy choose too consume an intoxicant and operate a boat impaired? vs, did the cop purposefully throw the kid out of the boat?
Old 09-11-2014, 08:46 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

There was a case up here where a handcuffed suspect fled in handcuffs and jumped into a river and perished. Nothing happened. No lost jobs, no big payouts. Granted he was mostly surrounded by land beforehand, but the guy at LOTO was completely surrounded by a perfectly good boat. The lifejacket was a precaution, intended to prevent drowning, but not GUARANTEED to prevent drowning. People still die while wearing seatbelts, people still drown while wearing lifejackets. Coming out of a boat at 40mph while handcuffed certainly didn't help chances of survivability. Reasonable people know this.
Old 09-11-2014, 09:24 AM
Drive to arrive alive!!!
Platinum Member

Received 397 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by phragle
Does it really matter?? had he not been drinking in the first place he would not have been in the police boat to begin with.
Damned right it matters. If the kid jumped to flee the police, then case closed he shouldn't have run from the law. If he fell out of the boat from unsafe driving under the water conditions then it's on the water patrol.

All of you keyboard cowboys on here calling the authorities "pigs" can go **** yourselves! You're an embarrassment to yourself, this site, and boating in general.
Old 09-11-2014, 09:31 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by WARPARTY36

All of you keyboard cowboys on here calling the authorities "pigs" can go **** yourselves! You're an embarrassment to yourself, this site, and boating in general.
Hopefully the next time sh!t goes south for some of these cowboys, they bypass 911 and "cowboy up", get a taste of what making life-changing, split-second judgement calls is all about, or better yet, call the neighborhood crackhead for help.
Old 09-11-2014, 10:12 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.kansascity.com/news/state...le2059495.html
Old 09-11-2014, 10:39 AM
Registered

Bad news all around that article. Juries don't like authorities "in a hurry" circumventing procedure. Some will also have an aversion to doling out a settlement when the word "cocaine" comes out at trial.
And obviously, nothing will bring this guy back. Sad case.
Old 09-11-2014, 11:11 AM
Registered

Received 195 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by phragle
Im not anti-alcohol, ask anyone that knows me, When the time is right I drink llike a fish, I am about being responsible for your deliberate actions. Did the guy choose too consume an intoxicant and operate a boat impaired? vs, did the cop purposefully throw the kid out of the boat?
Was he actually operating the boat? I thought I had read they were at anchor near a local watering hole? If this is the case, your suggesting that it is wrong to enjoy alcohol while anchored or docked just because you are "on" a boat? Not reasonable to assume he would not have sobered up prior to operating the boat, in the context of your argument.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.