Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
LOTO MSWP Man Overboard Drowning >

LOTO MSWP Man Overboard Drowning

Notices

LOTO MSWP Man Overboard Drowning

Old 06-03-2014, 01:11 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cuffs or no cuffs, the life jacket was put on / worn improperly. That is the reason it came off. The officer in charge have noticed and should be held responsible. If person fell overboard, got hurt or worse, from a civilian's boat; I would believe the capitian held responcible and charged.-Rant over-
It is truly a shame that someone lost thier life in this situation. Hopefully all the facts will come out and not be a huge coverup.
Old 06-03-2014, 05:01 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by the deep
I wish we knew the circumstances of his arrest . What did he do to draw attention of the WP , anything or was he simply seen drinking a beer while relaxing on his boat . The law of unintended consequences strikes again but unfortunately a young man has paid with his life . Very very sad .
A can flew out of the boat in to the water, that was why he was pulled over.
Old 06-03-2014, 05:05 PM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Received 387 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by TriPaC87
A can flew out of the boat in to the water, that was why he was pulled over.
Thank you and I'll hold my comments .
Old 06-03-2014, 09:15 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First off this is a very sad deal for the kid and the cop. I've been around more then one arrest on the water and have yet to see anyone be handcuffed on the water that had cooperated. So it makes me wonder why the kid was cuffed. This still doesn't excuse the fact that the vest was put on him wrong. The WP continue to rack up "incidents" on the lake including almost running someone over in party cove a couple years ago. She jumped off too. And the collision that went on by the toll bridge last year that was pretty unexplained.
Old 06-03-2014, 11:00 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Very sad. Unfortunately we will probably never know what really happened. But, how does a life vest come off when you're cuffed? It can't slip over your arms.
Old 06-04-2014, 06:48 AM
Registered

With all the water patrol accidents here at loto the water patrol are the most dangerous boaters at the lake if you look at it statistically. We hear about the accidents here but it seldom makes the news.
Old 06-04-2014, 09:07 AM
Registered

Received 324 Likes on 126 Posts

So my question is: If the kid would have killed a bunch of people with the boat by running them into or over because he had been BWI (as was arrested for) What would be your stance of the situation.

The reason people get stopped is because law enforcement are trained to look for situations that cause them to be noticed. There is a number of witnesses that have stated the kid had been drinking, was suggested not to drive the boat, and appeared to have jumped over the side.

The kid made a BAD decision that cost him his life. But really the decisions started WAY earlier in the day, when and Underage Individual decided to drink, get behind the wheel of a boat, get stopped, flunked the sobriety tests, was arrested and then decided to not follow directions to sit.... Thus began the no return events of his young life.

Was he a good kid, probably, was he young and full of life, sure, but he made the decisions that now the rest of his family, friends, acquaintances and now bureaucrats are going to have to deal with... Yep, he made a mark for himself in this world. RIP
Old 06-04-2014, 10:07 AM
VIP Member

Bajaholic, no one knows if he was drunk or not. He was never given a breathalyzer. I have seen the WP arrest people numerous times and only put the life jacket over their head and never strap it around their back. The WP who killed this kid should be charged with manslaughter just like any civilian would. He was responsible for his safety. All the witnesses said he was cooperating.
Old 06-04-2014, 10:10 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by bajaholic
So my question is: If the kid would have killed a bunch of people with the boat by running them into or over because he had been BWI (as was arrested for) What would be your stance of the situation.

The reason people get stopped is because law enforcement are trained to look for situations that cause them to be noticed. There is a number of witnesses that have stated the kid had been drinking, was suggested not to drive the boat, and appeared to have jumped over the side.

The kid made a BAD decision that cost him his life. But really the decisions started WAY earlier in the day, when and Underage Individual decided to drink, get behind the wheel of a boat, get stopped, flunked the sobriety tests, was arrested and then decided to not follow directions to sit.... Thus began the no return events of his young life.

Was he a good kid, probably, was he young and full of life, sure, but he made the decisions that now the rest of his family, friends, acquaintances and now bureaucrats are going to have to deal with... Yep, he made a mark for himself in this world. RIP
He was taken into custody for suspicion of bwi. Not arested. So it is ok that he dies because he might have a drunken boat crash? Loto is rough and people fall out of boats all the time. The Missouri water patrol has a long history of accidents, deaths, and questionable behavior. This is just another one for the list. That state trooper was responsible for that mans safety once he was in custody, even if the man made a bad decision.

Last edited by rchuntlsl; 06-04-2014 at 11:43 AM.
Old 06-04-2014, 10:15 AM
Registered

Received 324 Likes on 126 Posts

They are the same witnesses that stated he had been drinking, had been told to NOT drive the boat, witnessed him fail the sobriety tests, etc... The kid was underage, regardless of BAC, anything over 0.0 is over for his age.

I have known a person that woke up and had a drink, he had become such alcholics that no one even realizes he was drunk because he seam perfectly fine. This was all well and good until they were in an accident and killed 3 people plus himself. If I remember correctly it was a .23 BAC

I'm just trying to reiterate, the Kid's bad decisions for the whole day, caused the problems, not just the end result. Drink if you want, just don't boat and/or drive....That really is the bottom line, everything else is consequences...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.