Lake Cumberland investment ? >

Lake Cumberland investment ?

Notices

Lake Cumberland investment ?

Old 06-07-2014, 08:30 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lake Cumberland investment ?

where near or on the lake are good investment opportunities (residential) now for 5-10 years down the road .
thanks
Old 06-07-2014, 11:14 AM
Registered

It's hard to say, there really isn't any marina area that doesn't have many homes or land for sale. They finally went wet on the east side however i doubt that will help what your trying to do. The way they sell property (at auction) you can get some smoking deals though. We bought our house in Jamestown that way. Now that the water is back up they think it will help the tourism, according to the countys around the lake tourism number fell while the dam was being repaired. You might want to ask this same question on lakecumberland.com There are tons of locals and helpfull people on there.
Old 06-07-2014, 05:08 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

I have a house on lake cumberland, been going there for years. I agree, need to find an auction property. I do not predict high growth in property values for that time frame. Property is very inexpensive for waterfront areas.
Old 06-07-2014, 11:22 PM
Registered

Received 341 Likes on 119 Posts

The U.S is adding about 3 million people a year. By the year 2050 they expect the U.S population to grow from the current 305 million to nearly 440 million - with a large portion of that increase coming from immigration and the descendants of those immigrants. They sure aren't building anymore Lake Cumberlands; so although it is now considered remote I would expect a premiere water getaway like LC to just grow in popularity as the surrounding cities become more crowded and traffic snarled.

I also figure that in another decade the entire lake will be wet - which IMO will really help the lake become a more desirable retirement location. During the downturn and dam repair we bought a 52 acres up the road from Grider Hill that back up to the lake for a long term investment. But considering the slow, slow pace of this economic recovery, at the moment our long range investment feels like a really long range investment. I don't expect to get rich off of it anytime soon. Maybe after the polar ice caps melt and half of Florida is underwater - in about 2050.
Old 06-08-2014, 11:17 AM
Registered

Not looking to get rich(couldn't hurt though). Just had my first child, and really need to make a 5-10 yr down the road plan to escape south florida. Near fresh water is a must, considering middle/west N Carolina, Tenn , KY, and ID
Old 06-08-2014, 03:44 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

We love our Cumberland summer home been there for 20 years. The only appreciation is the enjoyment we get from the lake and friends we've made over the years. Value won't go down but until it goes wet as Marginmn suggests, upside will be modest at best.
Old 06-09-2014, 06:25 AM
rws
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the area near Monticello.
I own 29 acres. north of Somerset but it is not near the lake
Old 06-09-2014, 08:45 AM
Registered

Location: Northern, KY (Cincinnati) Lake St Clair, MI Norris Lake, TN
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

There are a lot of good lakes in the region. Norris, Tellico, Douglas, Dale Hollow, Cumberland, etc. Kentucky and Barkley on the west side of the states. Some are more conducive to go-fasts than others. All depends on the type of boating and home/condo/HOA you prefer. There are pros and cons tax wise between TN and KY.

My family has a place on Norris. Lot's of homes and developments with direct water front. Some developments had issues on the lake dating back to '08, '09. Most of the good foreclosures have been gobbled up, but there are still good deals to be had.

Unfortunately the Internet doesn't seem to be the best way to browse the lake properties for sale (on Norris at least). You'd be better served spending a few days traveling.

Last edited by Baja_342; 06-09-2014 at 08:50 AM.
Old 06-09-2014, 10:10 AM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

I would tell you to rent on VRBO and put your investment somewhere else....... Kentucky is remote, not like LOTO accessible from 8-10 states easily.

All it would take is an amoeba scare, some other type of water pollution/groundwater/drought issue and that property will drop lightning fast. Even in good times it is not liquid enough to sell quickly. My buddy lives in Florida, has a family cabin in Pennsylvania on a lake. Grandfather built it 50 years ago, had an electrical fire about 10 years back and it burned to the ground. Volunteer fire dept got there 45 minutes into the fire and essentially washed down the slab...... They rebuilt it, now it is the nicest on the lake so the burglaries started, nearest neighbor is 500 yards away down the dirt road. He owns it for free (insurance rebuilt it), land is owned free and clear. Used to go 1 month in winter (skiing nearby, snowmobiling on property) and one month in summer (worked remote). Kids are in school now, he got there for 5 days in 2013 and nothing so far this year.

Just look at it this way:

1000 month earning 5% after 15 years (180 payments) is $267,289.00...........spendable money.
Jump to 7% and it is $316,962.00!
http://www.zenwealth.com/businessfin...alculator.html

Factor in just the utilities/taxes on the property at 3500 a year and that money alone would rent you a place on VRBO for your annual vacation leaving you with the same vacation at the lake while your money is growing elsewhere. Ky is too remote, upside isn't there.
Old 06-09-2014, 11:18 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Listen to Jupiter S!