Notices

Boating in KY

Old 06-26-2014, 07:29 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boating in KY

What is the boating like in KY, particular the Louisville area? My guess is the Ohio river is where everyone boats that are in that area? I currently boat in the Chesapeake Bay in MD. What is the water like compared to here if anyone has been to both, is it clearer, is it sandy or muddy bottoms most places. Do you guys mainly raft up or go to bars/restaurants to hang out? Does it ever get rough, if so what are we talking as rough? Thanks guys
Old 06-26-2014, 07:57 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

I was just in Newark, DE last week on business and travel all around the bay area. I can help with part of your question i live on the OH river in Evansville, IN about 90 miles west of Louisville. KY. The river here is pretty much flat water most days on exteremly windy days you might see 1' - 2' chop at the most nothing like i have seen on the bay when traveling the area. The bottom river bank is mostly sand/mud so beaching is not much of an issue. The water tends to be more dirty over this direction than what i have seen in louisville, KY area it just always looks muddy but there is an active boating community in the area and most go down stream where the water is cleaner, im sure there are areas around Lousiville where people gather. If your relocating to the area KY has several large nice lakes within 2-3 hrs. drive of Louisville. Lake Cimberland in south central, KY and Barkley & Kentucky Lake in Western Ky.
Old 06-26-2014, 08:04 AM
Registered

Thank you for your response. Yea I had heard that Kentucky lake, and Lake Barkley are really good spots. And I know Lake Cumberland for the poker run, but don't know much more of it than that. I boat every weekend here in the chesapeake bay, and when I mapped those 3 lakes out they are 3.5 hours away which wouldn't be very feasible for every weekend lol. So I guess the majority would be boating in the ohio river in or near louisville I guess, just have no clue what its like in that area. I think I may be spoiled with where I boat now, and being close to the bay
Old 06-26-2014, 08:43 AM
Registered

We boat out of westport. Its 19 miles north of the falls. About 18 north of louisville. There are a few places to eat on the river between lousville and madison indiana. Most of our group rafts up in a cove about 3 miles borth of westport. ( bajas , formulas, powerquests, fountains etc) it stays pretty flat up by us but can kick up to confused 2s on a windy busy weekend. The water is ussually muddy but no worse than any lakes around. Ive been in the river when you could see your feet when swimming. Louisville area is ussually confused 2s all the time and there is a cove down there where alot of people go to also.
Old 06-26-2014, 09:04 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Run on upriver from Louisville and join us in the cove. You don't have to fight any current, barge traffic, or wake and the water is typically warmer/clearer. To add to beaver3's post, there's Cunningham's Creekside, Captain's Quarters, Tumbleweed, and a couple other spots to dock for food and a few drinks along the river in our area. My Sunsation came from the Chesapeake Bay area and when I did the sea trial for her, it was about as rough there as I have ever seen the Ohio get, so I doubt the chop would be anything for you to fear here.
Old 06-26-2014, 09:07 AM
Registered

That is better news lol. It takes me 25-30 minutes to get to my marina, and once in the water my 2 most common destinations are about a 15 mile run from the marina, 1 is a raft up spot and the other is a bar and restaurant. There are a few other spots that are within that 15 miles in different directions, some shorter, and some a touch longer all just raft up spots. frequently run about 25-30 miles to Jelly fish joels which is a raft up, and also has a pier for rafting off a beach with tiki bar and other vices lol. Maybe once or twice a year we will run 55-60 miles to a place in kent called red eyes, and probably 60 ish miles down into baltimore for a poker type fun run at the end of the year.

How is water depth in the lakes and in the ohio river? Here there are definitely some tricky spots. As far as water clarity here, its pretty murky, you can vaguely see your hand maybe a foot down lol. But all the places we frequent, we frequent them for a reason which is that they are tucked in away from any boat traffic so its nice a flat, and sandy bottoms.
Old 06-26-2014, 09:15 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Gunrunner72
Run on upriver from Louisville and join us in the cove. You don't have to fight any current, barge traffic, or wake and the water is typically warmer/clearer. To add to beaver3's post, there's Cunningham's Creekside, Captain's Quarters, Tumbleweed, and a couple other spots to dock for food and a few drinks along the river in our area. My Sunsation came from the Chesapeake Bay area and when I did the sea trial for her, it was about as rough there as I have ever seen the Ohio get, so I doubt the chop would be anything for you to fear here.
Yea it can get pretty rough here, specially out by turkey point. I actually like running in the predictable 2-3 range. I have a 24 outlaw (I bought in Paducah by the way lol), and it runs pretty well in that range, anything larger it becomes not as fun lol. Mostly around here its 1-2's, turkey point probably 2's on most days but confused 2's, and kicks up on windy days for sure. We did a fun run to baltimore last fall and it was up in the 5 range with a roller here and there. I was definitely impressed with how well the boat did in it, but the ride was a little rough at times lol, more so when I had to come off the throttles in the air, or because of a roller popping up. Luckily the spacing wasn't too far and we were going against them on the way down, so were able to get on top.

I would consider the chesapeake bay to be a really good all around place to boat, so trying to feel out how that area compares really.

Last edited by ealesh33; 06-26-2014 at 09:17 AM.
Old 06-26-2014, 09:15 AM
Registered

We've had a place on Kentucky Lake for years. It's a fun lake but lacks bars and restaurants that you can visit with a boat (most of the lake is in a dry county). There's a rock quarry near the dam that is the party cove and also a few sand bars where people hang out.

If you visit Kentucky or Barkley lakes be mindful to stay in the channel as they both get shallow in places. If you cruise down the lake into Tennessee there are a few fun bars/restaurants with nice docks.
Old 06-26-2014, 09:18 AM
Registered

dale hollow is within 30-40 min of lake cumberland.not really feasable for the day but definately worth going to.water is really clear.can get a little rough at times but nothing major.lots of coves.food and drink on the lake is a little scarce.
Old 06-26-2014, 09:48 AM
Registered

I live about a hour up river from Louisville. Like everyone has said, the river is usually flat here except on windy days and always muddy. The only exception is the occasional drought year when the river stays low and really cleans up. The biggest problem with the river is during times of high water and high current when drift and debris can be a problem. We boat on the river all summer long except the few weekends of the year when we head to lake Cumberland.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.