Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
List of company's that don't rape you on shipping. >

List of company's that don't rape you on shipping.

Notices

List of company's that don't rape you on shipping.

Old 06-29-2014, 03:09 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by Cole2534
I came here to post the same thing. Lots of little items could be shipped USPS for $5.20, and oh ya the boxes are free. Instead, they show up in an oversized box for $20.

$18 to ship the VST o-ring kit from Bam? Unreasonable.
I bought a VST oring in april on fleabay, new, in quicksilver original packaging. O-ring was $10.00, shipping was $1.93
Old 06-29-2014, 06:57 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

USPS looses a LOT of packages. They also have a tendency to ship things all around the country when a package is in an adjoining state. As a customer, you certainly want you stuff in a reasonable time frame. USPS is horrible at delivering on time and keeping track of packages. I speak from experience. I tried to use USPS to save my customers some $$. But the same customer that wanted to save $3-$5 on shipping is also the first one to file a credit card dispute when their item gets lost or is delayed because of USPS. I don't blame any of these companies for not using USPS.
Old 06-29-2014, 07:13 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

All of the shipping companies have their reputations. UPS stands for Universal Pulverazation Service. I worked in shipping for almost 10 years and I swear they are willing to accept a 20% failure rate. I shipped a 6' chunck of 1 3/4" .120 wall chromoly tubing via ups. UPS managed to put a 45 plus degree bend in the middle of it. I filed a claim, ups came back "insuffiicient packaging" because it was shipped in a 2" cardboard tube. I called the rep out, told him "you realize they make rollcages out of this for racecars???" After I offered to swing it at his car to see which bent first he payed the claim.
Old 06-30-2014, 07:01 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I avoid buying anything from the marine "Hi perf" places if at all possible. Many items they sell, can be found elsewhere for a much better price, and much cheaper shipping. As much as I would love to support these places, at the end of the day, supporting my own bank account is #1.

Just ordered 12ft of 1.25 Hardwall water hose last week on amazon. It was 50 bucks, shipped. If I ordered that hose from the high perf online place, 8.99 per foot, plus 46.00 dollars shipping for a total 154.00. So like i said, I'd love to be able to purchase from them, but i'd rather put that 100 bucks in my gas tank. Saving over 100 dollars on a simple hose order, is quite a savings in my book.

Heck, even the fuel filters I run, the wix 33405. EVERYONE, including my local parts store, sells them for about 16 bucks. Online filter places, 11 bucks. But the high perf place has them for 32.99 each plus 29 dollars shipping! So, 95 bucks for 2 wix filters, or 30 bucks shipped from another place.

Amazon didnt get as big as they are, by price gouging. Even summit racing, they are huge. Their prices are very competitive, shipping very reasonable, and excellent customer service. I order parts from them on a monday morning, they arrive either tues or wed at the latest.

Last edited by MILD THUNDER; 06-30-2014 at 07:12 AM.
Old 06-30-2014, 07:19 AM
Registered

Well, I ordered two 19" pieces of 4" rubber exhaust hose from KE. Price was reasonable at $1.59 per inch. Shipping was $18.42 which I thought was reasonable as well since it was a fairly large box and weighed around 8lbs. Oh, this was UPS ground and it arrived in 3 days! But I have been hosed(pun) on shipping from others though. Ordered some toggle switch covers from CP about a year ago, came in a small bubble envelope, shipping was like $20!.
Old 06-30-2014, 08:57 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by phragle
All of the shipping companies have their reputations. UPS stands for Universal Pulverazation Service. I worked in shipping for almost 10 years and I swear they are willing to accept a 20% failure rate. I shipped a 6' chunck of 1 3/4" .120 wall chromoly tubing via ups. UPS managed to put a 45 plus degree bend in the middle of it. I filed a claim, ups came back "insuffiicient packaging" because it was shipped in a 2" cardboard tube. I called the rep out, told him "you realize they make rollcages out of this for racecars???" After I offered to swing it at his car to see which bent first he payed the claim.
I partially agree with you. Yes, they all loose packages (and damage a few as well), but my past experience suggest USPS is, by far, the leader in lost and delayed packages. I kid you not, I shipped a package from Wyandotte MI to Flint MI (about a 2 hr drive). The package took over 10 business days to ultimately end up back with me. It went from Wyandotte to Allen Park MI, then to Toledo, then to some where in North Carolina, Then to Kentucky, Then to Florida, Then some how it ended up in California, then ultimately it was delivered back to me, stating the address did not exist (which is BS, because I shipped it the second time and it was delivered). I have seen that happen a lot with USPS. UPS is who I switched to but they kept screwing me with the rates, they kept tacking on surcharges every month. Ultimately I ended up with Fed Ex which was pretty reliable, and was reasonable cost. Also one more thing to keep in mind, USPS once you get past the smaller packages, is very expensive. They keep the costs down on the smaller 1- 3 lb packages.

Basically what I am trying to say is, while USPS may seem inexpensive on the surface, using them becomes very expensive for the vendors as shipping delays, lost packages, etc ultimately make customers upset which leads to lost sales in the future. Not to mention the immediate loss of product when an item is sent all around the country or even lost.

Last edited by low_psi; 06-30-2014 at 09:02 AM.
Old 06-30-2014, 10:01 AM
Registered

Received 127 Likes on 74 Posts

I just got some Gaskets from Eddie Marine. Shipped in USPS $5 flat rate box. Only charged me $5 too. With these high shipping prices did it accidentally get shipped overnight or 2nd day? Those "need it now" fees are outrageous anymore...
Old 06-30-2014, 10:21 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by low_psi
USPS looses a LOT of packages. They also have a tendency to ship things all around the country when a package is in an adjoining state. As a customer, you certainly want you stuff in a reasonable time frame. USPS is horrible at delivering on time and keeping track of packages. I speak from experience. I tried to use USPS to save my customers some $$. But the same customer that wanted to save $3-$5 on shipping is also the first one to file a credit card dispute when their item gets lost or is delayed because of USPS. I don't blame any of these companies for not using USPS.
Wait, are you saying the government is inefficient ?
Old 06-30-2014, 10:52 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by RT930turbo
Wait, are you saying the government is inefficient ?
Never????????
Old 06-30-2014, 11:46 AM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Try Latham Marine...C.O.D. only. No credit cards. Ordered a couple of hoses and through hulls and almost fell over backwards.