Notices

Calculating gear ratio

Old 07-15-2014, 07:51 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Calculating gear ratio

Not boating related, but plenty of gearheads on here so I figured why not.

I am working on a project that has a planetary reverse system. The sprocket on the output shaft is 9 teeth, going to the gear on the reverse shaft which is 25 teeth. The other sprocket on the reverse shaft is 18 teeth and turns the axle which has a 40 tooth sprocket.

So, it is going 9/25 to a 18/40.

My head is coming up with 6.12 or 6.15 to 1, depending on how I do the math. But that just doesn't seem right

Last edited by onesickpantera; 07-15-2014 at 07:53 PM.
Old 07-15-2014, 08:44 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by pbekemeyer
Just look at summit racing gear 4.10 is 41 ring gear to 10 pinion gear or 41 Divide 10 = 4.10
I don't know if you figure planetary gear the same. I worked on front wheel drive garbage truck which had the regular ring and pinion diff and had planetary gear on the out part of the drive axle. Question does you project have a diff drive type system also?
I get that but I am dealing with two ratios here, which is why I am confused. The first ratio is 4.44:1 and the second is 1.38:1. It seems that going from the 25 to the 18 increases the ratio more(less top speeds). So, I multiplied 4.44 x 1.38 to get 6.13.

No differential. Just 4 sprockets and two chains between the two shafts.