2009 Sunsation 288 S questions >

2009 Sunsation 288 S questions

Notices

2009 Sunsation 288 S questions

Old 07-20-2014, 05:21 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 Sunsation 288 S questions

A friend is about to purchase a 2009 288 S Sunstation with 496HO that has Lightning headers and IMCO stand off box. The drive appears to be quite elevated and the current owner is claiming 77-78 with 28 Bravo prop. I have 2 concerns:

- This boat is obviously set up for the big number with the box and elevated drive height. We do a lot of river cruising to the ocean - will there be any ill effects from this set up at cruising speeds (40-45) such as cavitation issues or high prop slip? Planning problems? I know it's hard to say but I'm hoping someone chimes in that has experience with these boats.

- How is the quality of the lightning headers? Are they known for cracks, etc.? This boat will be in salt water at times.

I'm not concerned about his ability to drive the boat, he's owned Hydrostreams and recently a 22 Progression with a 300 Yamaha. Thanks in advance for any info.
Old 07-20-2014, 08:08 PM
Registered

I can comment on the Lightning Headers. They offer a fresh water version which is constructed from a stainless inner tube and a mild steel outer tube. They also offer a version that is constructed from stainless inner and outer tubes for salt water use. You can tell the difference with a magnet.
The freshwater version has a ceramic coating on the mild steel but I still wouldn't use them in salt water as the coating has worn through and chipped off in places on mine.

My Lightnings are 17 years old and are still in excellent shape. I would say they are definitely a quality header.

That is a very impressive number for a 28' boat with a 496. I wonder what a stock 288 with 496 will run.

I have owned a Sunsation and have visited the factory and would definitely recommend them. If you call Joe or Wayne at the factory they can answer any questions and usually will remember building the particular boat.
Old 07-20-2014, 08:40 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hadleycat
I can comment on the Lightning Headers. They offer a fresh water version which is constructed from a stainless inner tube and a mild steel outer tube. They also offer a version that is constructed from stainless inner and outer tubes for salt water use. You can tell the difference with a magnet.
The freshwater version has a ceramic coating on the mild steel but I still wouldn't use them in salt water as the coating has worn through and chipped off in places on mine.

My Lightnings are 17 years old and are still in excellent shape. I would say they are definitely a quality header.

That is a very impressive number for a 28' boat with a 496. I wonder what a stock 288 with 496 will run.

I have owned a Sunsation and have visited the factory and would definitely recommend them. If you call Joe or Wayne at the factory they can answer any questions and usually will remember building the particular boat.
Stock with 496HO and "normal" drive runs 67-68. 77-78 sounds a bit hard to believe but I could be wrong...
Old 07-21-2014, 07:21 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

I have to call BS on th 77-78 MPH.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:55 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Call the factory. This boat may have a blueprinted bottom and labbed props. I think this could be Matt Miller's old boat. If it is, it was done right. The guy is a freak about everything being perfect.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:34 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

x2 yes, call the factory and you'll get the answer real quick
Old 07-21-2014, 02:53 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Gary864
Call the factory. This boat may have a blueprinted bottom and labbed props. I think this could be Matt Miller's old boat. If it is, it was done right. The guy is a freak about everything being perfect.
95% sure this was Matt's boat at one time. Does he still come on here? As mentioned in my orignal post, the big concern is the ill effects of the elevated drive height at cruising and planning speeds.
Old 07-27-2014, 07:36 PM
Registered

Yeah. Thats Matts boat. And yes it will run 77-78 all day. I used to boat with him a lot when he owned that boat, and he never seemed to have a problem at all with that set up.