I just ordered a QUAD 4....

Old 09-10-2002, 06:14 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 851 Likes on 312 Posts

Geez...that's hauling butt in a small boat
Old 09-10-2002, 07:32 PM
AIRTIME

Did you see better handling and speed with 2'' shorter drive ? I HAVE A 240 with 647hp but speed handling sucks . using lab 26 bravo any thoughs.

Old 09-10-2002, 08:16 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Handling improved with the short drive, but I cannot attest to any speed increases because I built a new motor at the same time. The addition of the hydraulic steering also made the boat much more driveable. With a short drive your boat needs to have natural bow lift if good results are expected. The boat now runs flatter, but there is still enough lift to keep from bow steering or plowing. Your larger boat may not like the short drive. It may handle better, but go slower. The only way to know is to try one out. I have a friend that is selling his short bottom only because he lost speed with it. I don't know what he wants for it yet.
Old 09-10-2002, 08:23 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On my prior application with a short drive, I lost handling and gained speed on a application that required a large amount of trim to run fast. Guess the rule of thumb is to try it.

WV-If that prop is even slightly surfacing (Which I would suspect on your application) then I absolutly would not modify it in any way...unless you are willing to risk breakage.
Old 09-10-2002, 09:16 PM
Registered

I hear ya Cord!!! If the blueprint is done the warranty is void. Since this prop is only a backup and I don't put a lot of hrs per year on my ride I think I'll probably risk it. Hopefully nothing will happen to the Spinelli and the Hydromotive will only see limited use on new, unfamiliar lakes until I figure out where the shallow spots are. Thanks for the warning though.
Old 09-10-2002, 09:57 PM
VIP Member

I'm wondering if prop blowout is inherent in the design of the Quad 4. I bought a new/used 25" and I can ALWAYS blow it out off the line and my stock 26" Bravo 1 never blows out. The Bravo is faster accelerating and top speed. Both props have same top rpm at 5000 rpm.

I have a 95 24 Outlaw Whipplecharged 454.
Old 10-19-2002, 07:48 PM
Registered

Default Finally got to try the blueprinted prop.

It happens to be my last boat ride in the WETTE VETTE this season. The good news is that for the third season in a row it is going into storage with no problems and ready to go next spring. Now for the performance with the blueprinted prop. It pulls real hard to about 90 MPH and peaked out at 6200 RPM and 96.9 MPH. Running in similar weather the 29 Spinelli had a best of 97.8, so I guess it would be safe to say that I now have a very strong back up prop. On another note the Quad IV is awesone in the corners. I took out some pretty sharp corners at 70 plus and the prop and boat hung in there. I had a blast!!! Now how can I find that elusive last 3 MPH to get me into the "3 digit club" ????? I've got all winter to think about it.
Attached Thumbnails I just ordered a QUAD 4....-96.9-hydromotive.jpg  
Old 10-20-2002, 08:11 AM
Byron

Hey I also had a pair of new hydromotive props with about ten hours on them, threw a blade and they would not cover the prop. I now have merc props. He seems like a nice guy until you have a problem. Be aware!!

Old 10-21-2002, 12:45 AM
Charter Member #971
Charter Member

I have 2 of them, and I love the way they work on my little boat.

Les
Old 10-21-2002, 12:35 PM
Registered

What does a Hering Bravo style prop cost? What are their restocking policies if it doesn't work? I am always willing to try props. I have my doubts that a prop alone in gonna get me to the three digit mark.

Quick Reply: I just ordered a QUAD 4....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.