Old 08-24-2002, 10:35 PM
CBR
www.hyperfishing.com
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Right CSpray, 89 Octane is better!
Old 08-25-2002, 07:36 AM
Miami

CBR - great trip! You have a lot of courage. That New england weather changes in a heartbeat. Currents, fog and rocks make the channel islands difficult. I take a summer vacation every year in Falmouth and always take a relaxing trip to the islands on my 160 footer. The Ferry has a great bar!

C Spray - Chesapeak Bay should be fine for you. When the wind blows out of the south east, the southern part of the bay can get pretty nasty. I am assuming you will be in the northern part. More to see & do. Bad conditions there are 3' to 5', spaced about 2' to 3' apart. That should be no problem for your 38" Formula. Let me know when you are coming through Annapolis - the Spring water is on me!

Paul

Old 08-25-2002, 10:00 AM
CBR
www.hyperfishing.com
Platinum Member

Thanks Miami. I was extremely careful about conditions before setting out, and quizzing other boaters...sailors mostly, about what lay ahead. A nice doctor in his 40 foot hunter told me the Newport harbour fog would likely be gone once we were out in the ocean. Based on this, we set out, and he was right.

I am gaining greater and greater respect for sailboters, who are subject to currents and winds that we performance boaters just mash the throttles and power through. I simply cannot imagine having to contend with the elements the way sailboters must. We have a lot to learn from them.
Old 08-25-2002, 01:21 PM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking Doin' the WHOLE bay....

Miami - Call me crazy, but we're leaving Havre de Grace mid-day Friday the 30th, stopping in Tangier that night, Then on to Va Beach Saturday AM. Tuesday after Labor Day, we're starting our way back up (at a slower pace) arriving back home on Sunday the 8th. SInce we boat out of the North all the time, we hope to spend as much time as possible in the southern waters. I have done some boating around Norfolk/Hampton Roads before, and have seen what it can dish out. We'll just take every day as it comes.

BTW - Made it to Watermans in Rock Hall on August 10th - pretty cool place. Later, we went to the CBPBA raftup in Langford Creek. That's as far south as I've been in the Bay so far.

CBR - Spent a week in Maine in late July, stopping at Newport on the way up (to give the better half a tour of the Detroit Eagle). You're 100% right - I wouldn't want to spend any time on that water without LOTS of navigational goodies at my disposal. Never saw any sandy beaches - just lots and lots of rocks. Your trip took huevos, and hopefully some advance planning (except for gas stops. )
Old 08-25-2002, 04:16 PM
CBR
www.hyperfishing.com
Platinum Member

C-Spray, what engines are you running in your boat? Are they custom built innovation motors?

Also, has anyone used octane booster when they can't find 92+ octane fuel?
Old 08-26-2002, 12:41 AM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

CBR - Mine are the ones Volvo Penta sold for the last few years (but no more), but they are pretty much a "standard" Innovation product. 540 ci, 600 hp, Holley injection (no blowers), good "hot rod" parts and closed cooling. The military buys lots of 'em.
Old 08-29-2002, 06:37 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chris,

I wish I knew you were heading to Shelter Island. We have a house on the North Fork that overlooks the Island. You would have been a welcomed guest. Glad to hear you had a good trip.
Old 08-29-2002, 08:06 AM
rerun

I was in Natucket over 4th of July. I love that place! If you want to party you have to go to the Box. "life is good"

Old 08-29-2002, 08:24 AM
Miami

C Spray - sounds like a great trip. If you care to pause in the Annapolis area on your return, call my mobil 240-888-5959. We are always on the water on the weekends. It would be nice to meet and hear about your adventure.

May the sun shine upon you and the waters be calm. Have a safe trip,

Paul

Old 08-29-2002, 09:17 AM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Default %$^#%%! weather!!!

Originally posted by Miami
...May the sun shine upon you and the waters be calm...
Well - It might not be all that smooth, the sunshine part's not lookin' too good, and that dang rain hurts at 70 mph!

What the heck - we're puttin' on the helmets and we're GOIN"!!!

Last edited by C_Spray; 08-29-2002 at 09:21 AM.

Quick Reply: Cruised Sonic 30SS to Nantucket!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.