Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
1000 Islands Poker Run - How did it go? >

1000 Islands Poker Run - How did it go?

Notices

1000 Islands Poker Run - How did it go?

Old 08-26-2002, 10:13 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

JB, that was probably us. We were working on the boat in the parking lot of the motel we stayed at around 7pm or so. I'm sorry we didn't meet up. I was trying to call your cell but I didn't have cell service. Anyway, we've got to meet up one of these days.
Old 08-26-2002, 10:30 AM
jb
Registered

almost stopped but traffic pushed us forward, besides I was not sure. I was looking for Shanes boat based on the Avatar!
Funny, same place same time and still no meeting.
We will get another chance!
Old 08-26-2002, 10:47 AM
Registered

Well, when you come down to NJ to buy that Apache 36, I'll have to travel to meet you!!! We saw one on the run and it looked amazing.
Old 08-26-2002, 11:12 AM
ronrally

Default Radar readings a little goofy!

Jeff,

You're right about the slow radar readings. The two runs for MyWay were announced as 111 and 139 mph. I spoke with the young man in the back of the boat when it landed, Ken from Minds in Motion. He confirmed that the boats runs were actually 170 mph and 165 mph respectively. Maybe the officials kept it under their hats for insurance reasons.

Jay98 may know the whole story. What's the story man?

Old 08-26-2002, 08:00 PM
Registered

The Poker run was awesome! On Sunday about 1:30 an Active Thunder from PA was ripping down towards Gananoque. I was sitting on the dock watching him because I knew he was moving pretty good. Just before the bridge he hit some big waves and hooked. My father and Bro-inlaw ran over in the boat while I went over on the jet ski. Everyone looked to be ok but one guy was pretty shakin' up. The driver was pretty shocked about what happened and asked me what made those waves. I asked him how fast he was running. He said low 90's. It just goes to show you how quick things can happen when you are trimmed to the A$$.
Old 08-26-2002, 08:18 PM

That was Mark from the club, My friend Ken S was on the boat with his nephew, He got pretty banged up. From what I heard they hit a wave and the boat went out of contol and slammed on its side sending the people aboard on top of Ken, Thank god there all ok! They are all good friends.
Old 08-26-2002, 08:34 PM
Registered

I'm just glad that it wasn't worse than it was. From 90mph to a dead stop is pretty harsh. I talked to him for a couple of minutes after. He was very appreciative that we checked on him. He disappeared under the bridge at idle speed the whole way.
Old 08-26-2002, 09:08 PM
wilerty

That area all along the channel can get pretty rough from the bow waves. What is worse though is that often the tour boats and very large cruisers create rollers from their stern going up and down. There may only be a few of them or they may run for a mile ... but I have seen them up to 5 feet plus. Got to be careful and be very alert because you come up on them very fast. Glad everyone is ok.