Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
83-84 scarab 38 and cig top gun 38 comparable? >

83-84 scarab 38 and cig top gun 38 comparable?

Notices

83-84 scarab 38 and cig top gun 38 comparable?

Old 07-30-2014, 11:20 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wish someone would pipe up and give their opinion sheesh!!
Old 07-30-2014, 11:27 AM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

I'd rather not have to put half the boat back together after that one day though. You're right about the ride, but the quality of the boat is the big difference.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:30 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 84 Likes on 31 Posts

Aside from the age issue as Jupiter pointed out, you really have to compare specific models as others have said.
Most of the big names in offshore have a great model or two. Some just have more "production" stuff than others. And I mean no disrespect by using the term production.

A 38 Cigarette with a staggered set up, kevlar/carbon, and 1/2 cabin is a different animal from a full cabin pleasure side by side.
Same can be said for a Scarab - Larry Smith 38 & Kaama Editions are far different from the "standard" Scarabs.

More recently a prime example is my 38 Donzi ZrComp. vs. a standard 38 Zr. From 2002-07. The Comps were hand built in a separate area, race rigged and are a completely different boat from the 38Zr's.
Old 07-30-2014, 03:04 PM
Registered

Received 571 Likes on 342 Posts

The scarab prices look really good compared to guns. I wonder if the cigarette resale value makes up for that? I see 38 scarabs frequently around the part out price.
Old 07-30-2014, 03:07 PM
Registered

Received 892 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by paintman
I wish someone would pipe up and give their opinion sheesh!!
......ok......

I just think too many people make purchases based on small amount of use for that specific issue.

In offshore boats, the better performance/fuel economy/ ease of maintenance (broken driveline) in a lighter/ twin step hull will surely offset any advantage of an old resin bucket on that "one" rough day.

In cars/trucks, some people buy that minivan/suburban they don't ever need (except for once a year when the family arrives from out of town). The do it yourself guy that buys/daily drives a big truck (to go get 20 bags of mulch from Home Depot once a year). My mom was he11 bent on a hybrid SUV yet she only drives about 9000 miles a year in a small Honda CRV. She would need hundreds of thousands of miles to make up the savings by driving a hybrid!

I just had a guy tell me about this in his sportfish situation. Had a big Viking, boat burned tons of fuel and it had 3 staterooms. Whenever he goes to the Bahamas he stays at a resort, the crew stayed on the boat. He has an epiphany and realizes he loves to fish, never stays on the boat and would rather have a cheaper boat to run and then use the fuel savings to fish more often. Viking got sold and he bought a day boat instead.
Old 07-30-2014, 04:04 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 1986 38 KV (don johnson) scarab weighed in at just over 10k, the rigging would fall out when I hit a big wave and the hull structure was crap also. Tommy from Chief had to re do the rigging and we broke several stringers and a bulkhead with Tommy driving at a Lake Ontario Poker Run so I agree with what Dave said, by the way it was a Canadian boat used 20 times per year.
Basically a resin bucket but I cant compare rides because I have never been in a Cig

Originally Posted by glassdave
actually they got better after 87 or so (Scarabs that is) much better. Early boats may have been heavy resin rich tanks but build quality and rigging was not that great. my 88 Scarab III compared to earlier boats was night and day and if you put them side by side you'd swear they were from two different manufacturers. I think its tough to beat a Gun for ride but that 38 Scarab wont be to far behind thats for sure.

Last edited by stimleck; 07-30-2014 at 04:09 PM.
Old 07-30-2014, 04:10 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know od a sweet scarab for sale. And it runs over a hunderd. Something to think about. Its a real bad ass if that's what you are looking for.. You can buy it for way less than what he has in tthe motors . I'm pretty sure. Real honest great guy too

Old 07-30-2014, 08:45 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mcprodesign
I know od a sweet scarab for sale. And it runs over a hunderd. Something to think about. Its a real bad ass if that's what you are looking for.. You can buy it for way less than what he has in tthe motors . I'm pretty sure. Real honest great guy too

now you're talkin...

"In offshore boats, the better performance/fuel economy/ ease of maintenance (broken driveline) in a lighter/ twin step hull will surely offset any advantage of an old resin bucket on that "one" rough day."

how do you know WHAT he is looking for... i like big water and generally only went out when it was rough as hell, and i hammered that stuff all day... depends what he plans to do with the boat. its like someone buying a 41 apache, no you dont have to worry about what the water conditions are, cuz there is never a day "too rough to want to go out in that" if you own one...
Old 07-30-2014, 09:09 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

If you boat in the great lakes every weekend you will have chitty water more often then not....

I loive old Scarabs, I never tore into a 38, but took a 34 Scarab III all apart (1983) I was surprised the lack of quality, wiring and rigging, things in cabin wont take abuse (plastic doors) and such...

The Cig will for sure be better built ( more then just a name) and things in cabin like doors are wood/fiberglass not plexi....

I would hope something like a 38 Faltdeck Scarab is bad ass built, people love them, but never tore into one to know...
Old 07-30-2014, 09:18 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an '85 Scarab III and have had it out in all kinds of big water. Can't hurt it. In '85 Powerboat Mag rated it "Offshore Boat of the Year". I have had it apart a few times (my choice) and it has always held up well. No broken stringers, motor mounts or wet transoms. I would put it up against any Cigs of the time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.