Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Don't know whether I'm proud or embarrassed.... >

Don't know whether I'm proud or embarrassed....

Notices

Don't know whether I'm proud or embarrassed....

Old 08-04-2014, 08:32 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by low_psi
You missed a pretty good show on the river, but hanging with gramps sounds like it was fun too. That arch, looks exactly like the one mounted atop my Concept. I see the bungie cord around the top to keep it from bouncing/rattling. I used some big double sidded Velcro strapping around it two places on each side to hold mine in place. If yours rattles half as much as mine did...... Good looking boat.
There are two aircraft pins that go in the cantilever arms that keep it quiet for the most part, but I bought some 1" wide blue nylon strap material and upholstery snaps, that's one of the many projects for this week, provided I don't get slammed with overtime at work. New fusioncoated bezels, cup holders, oil tank tray, grab bars, etc are on the way from Diamond Marine!

Side question- what temp are you seeing on your motors on plane? I'm seeing 130-135 at idle and 155-165 when running WFO, verified with IR thermometer (analog gauge is off a bit). The P/N's for thermostats are the same, so I'm figuring yours would be close. No buzzers or alarms, but my OCD is acting up again and I'm thinking I'm just gonna replace t-stats, poppet, and impeller/plate to calm it down.

Last edited by Speedracer29; 08-04-2014 at 08:34 AM.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:50 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Speedracer29
There are two aircraft pins that go in the cantilever arms that keep it quiet for the most part, but I bought some 1" wide blue nylon strap material and upholstery snaps, that's one of the many projects for this week, provided I don't get slammed with overtime at work. New fusioncoated bezels, cup holders, oil tank tray, grab bars, etc are on the way from Diamond Marine!

Side question- what temp are you seeing on your motors on plane? I'm seeing 130-135 at idle and 155-165 when running WFO, verified with IR thermometer (analog gauge is off a bit). The P/N's for thermostats are the same, so I'm figuring yours would be close. No buzzers or alarms, but my OCD is acting up again and I'm thinking I'm just gonna replace t-stats, poppet, and impeller/plate to calm it down.
Mine has those pins as well, but they rattle like crazy if I don't have the straps on as well. The pins alone will keep the top from coming back, but man is it noisy. As far as temps, I really don't know... I have temp gauges that have senders mounted on the starboard head of each motor, because of the depth of each sender, each gauge reads differently (my gauges don't have actual temps marked just lines with a C and H on each side of the sweep). If I see either one of them move I will be worried..... I have manual water pressure gauges, so those are the ones I keep a close eye on, especially on the river where, in some places, we have a lot of seaweed and I often look back to verify there is a good stream of water exiting the pee hole. I really want to get the Mercury Smartcraft harness so I can monitor real time, accurate data thru my GPS. That's a winter project, collecting all of the harnesses and parts.

Also if you ever have an issue with your lower unit (I hope you don't), look up SEI if/when that time comes. I just put one of their counter rotating lowers on for $1100 (which includes impeller and housing). I had to transfer one fitting, the anodes, fill it with oil and bolt it on. The standard rotation is about $900 shipped.

Here is a pic of the straps I used. Since the arch and top are both Blue, the straps don't stick out too bad...

Last edited by low_psi; 08-04-2014 at 08:55 AM.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:06 AM
Registered

Man, this sounds terrible, but I can't wait for this winter to get my radar arch and leaning post down to Monroe for powdercoating! Lol
If I take the canvas, unsnap it, wrap it around and resnap, there isn't any noise, but it's a pain and the bungee/Velcro strap idea seems like a winner.

I'm debating the single Smartcraft multi-gauge because my GPS won't accommodate the info. Pro-Comp analogs are definitely going on my Christmas list.
Old 08-04-2014, 03:24 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 939 Likes on 471 Posts

A+ for creativity to get back on the water

Hell i once fixed a carb on a jetski that broke one of the two bolts holding the intake manifold on with black RTV and zip-ties just to get back on the water! A bad day ON the water is still better then a good day at work!

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 10-05-2014, 07:41 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by low_psi

Also if you ever have an issue with your lower unit (I hope you don't), look up SEI if/when that time comes. I just put one of their counter rotating lowers on for $1100 (which includes impeller and housing). I had to transfer one fitting, the anodes, fill it with oil and bolt it on.
Dropped the lower unit to do impeller service and it already has an SEI unit on it....
Didn't have the correct seal for the pump housing because it's apparently different from the OEM for my model year, so while I wait for it to get here, I started tearing stuff apart.
Leaning post is out and radar arch is de-wired, hoping to get the interior out by the weekend.
Old 10-06-2014, 02:11 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Post some pics when you get your stuff back from powder coating.
Old 10-06-2014, 01:02 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Speedracer29
Dropped the lower unit to do impeller service and it already has an SEI unit on it....
Didn't have the correct seal for the pump housing because it's apparently different from the OEM for my model year, so while I wait for it to get here, I started tearing stuff apart.
Leaning post is out and radar arch is de-wired, hoping to get the interior out by the weekend.
The pump shouldn't have been any different. I use the word "shouldn't" loosely..... I used a standard waterpump kit on my SEI lower.. Wonder if earlier models used a different pump housing.......
Old 10-06-2014, 01:31 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

So when was the last time somebody walked up to you and said "Nice Rack"?????????
Old 10-28-2014, 06:08 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by phragle
So when was the last time somebody walked up to you and said "Nice Rack"?????????
You saying I got moobs?!!! LOL, I could stand to lose a few lbs, but geez, you're harsh!

Because I fixed the boat.....
Old 10-28-2014, 06:28 PM
aex
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm with 3pointstar. No glue? No duct tape? It ain't gonna work.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.