Worth it to broker your boat? >

Worth it to broker your boat?

Notices

Worth it to broker your boat?

Old 08-10-2014, 11:21 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Worth it to broker your boat?

Simple question. Do you personally think it's worth it to have a broker sell your boat vs. a private sale? Seems that around here commission is 10-11%. So I guess what I'm asking is, will a broker get 10-11% more for a boat than a private seller could to make up for the commission or is it simply a convenience thing?
Old 08-10-2014, 11:32 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by cmkworm
Simple question. Do you personally think it's worth it to have a broker sell your boat vs. a private sale? Seems that around here commission is 10-11%. So I guess what I'm asking is, will a broker get 10-11% more for a boat than a private seller could to make up for the commission or is it simply a convenience thing?
Yes

We do get 10%, but use ten web sites, handle all the marking, financing, insurance, questions and also use the retail location to bring buyers to the table. Many times we have people that call and say "if you find XXXXX call me" and save those contacts. I feel we offer more than just convenience and more of a complete buying/selling experience that both the buyer and seller end up happy.
Old 08-10-2014, 11:38 AM
Registered

Yes absolutely they handle everything for you
Old 08-10-2014, 11:41 AM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Many years ago I used a broker to sell a boat for me. It was well worth it. I didn't take one pic, place any ads, answer any calls or emails or questions, deal with shipping etc. It sold fast for the amount I wanted.
Old 08-10-2014, 12:01 PM
Registered

Received 256 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by eddie
Yes

We do get 10%, but use ten web sites, handle all the marking, financing, insurance, questions and also use the retail location to bring buyers to the table. Many times we have people that call and say "if you find XXXXX call me" and save those contacts. I feel we offer more than just convenience and more of a complete buying/selling experience that both the buyer and seller end up happy.

What about shipping and all that or does the seller/broker want the boat on property?

I have wondering this question myself. I reached out to a large well known dealer about it got back to me once and has since made no contact with me since weds after some emails sent to them.
Old 08-10-2014, 12:08 PM
Registered

Received 882 Likes on 478 Posts

Originally Posted by Nate5.0
What about shipping and all that or does the seller/broker want the boat on property?

I have wondering this question myself. I reached out to a large well known dealer about it got back to me once and has since made no contact with me since weds after some emails sent to them.
All incurred expenses get backed off the seller's end......transport/detailing/repairs etc.

It is probably way easier to sell a boat that is in the broker's possession than trying to arrange showings especially if it is far away. Your issue now is summer is over, so 2/3 of the country is interesting in putting their boats away in the next month or so not buying a new one to sit for 5-6 months.
Old 08-10-2014, 12:37 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
All incurred expenses get backed off the seller's end......transport/detailing/repairs etc.

It is probably way easier to sell a boat that is in the broker's possession than trying to arrange showings especially if it is far away. Your issue now is summer is over, so 2/3 of the country is interesting in putting their boats away in the next month or so not buying a new one to sit for 5-6 months.
We are not in any rush to sell. It could sit on the market all fall/winter and we would be OK with it.

I bought it in fall myself
Old 08-10-2014, 12:39 PM
Registered

Nate, what are you looking to get into? I thought you just bought the Sonic?
Old 08-10-2014, 12:52 PM
Registered

Received 213 Likes on 110 Posts

I think the key is to find a broker that is willing to price your boat at a fair market value ,.= worth using a broker..

some brokers will take your boat in and price it on the lower end of what your boat might be worth,this way they sell your boat faster,they take their 10% and move on to the next one but you come out not getting the true value of your boat, = not worth using a broker
Old 08-10-2014, 12:53 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by cmkworm
Nate, what are you looking to get into? I thought you just bought the Sonic?
I bought last Sept/Oct.

We are moving to the dark side and going the sport CC route. I love the sonic but for around here it is a tough boat to own, tow, and use when you want to go out every weekend.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.