Best spark plugs for the 575SCi? >

Best spark plugs for the 575SCi?

Notices

Best spark plugs for the 575SCi?

Old 08-22-2014, 04:31 PM
Registered

Received 516 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by mcprodesign
Stock 575 sci motors with yR5's for Years and no burn on the pistons plugs or anything,. How is this possible. That is the question. Maybe the blower shop makes just that much better 250 blowers. I am at about 6-7 psi boost. I would really love to know .
I'm actually confused as in this thread you say they have been running great, but in This One Here you state one had a hole in the piston.
Old 08-22-2014, 04:33 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 4bus
The 575sci is 550 at the prop, 575 at the crank....stock.

I don't have a prop shaft dyno, most don't......so most aftermarket mods are referred to as crank shaft power so the world can relate, without doing the merc math.

The way you learn is to put out bad advice? You started up my shorts, questioning my set up, recommending plugs 4 full heat ranges hotter to the OP, and making out-landish claims and comparing my boat to yours (there is no comparison, we have different bottoms)

Why should I be at 104 mph? I could be at 110 mph if I wanted. I want a boat that works every day, and is rare to break. Sure there is speed to be found with short lowers, 5-6 blade props, bottom work, things to lower my slip and put even more stress to my XR drives that are already being fed too much HP.

I'll take my 98 mph every day, and 101 mph on the 5850 limiters when the conditions are right. 15 percent slip is not the best, but drives are in the water, and 15 takes a little bit of the stress away.

There is one thing I agree, you are making HP if you are running he speed you claim, and turning the RPMs you claim with a side by side small step lightning. Where your HP came from will remain a mystery I guess? Because an MSD box, with 3.5 pulley and chiller won't get you turning 5800 rpm at 100 mph in a 38.

What props are you spinning to 5800 ?
Gear ratio 1.5 prop 32 p rpm 5600 speed 98.0. I know I say 100 and it will go 100. Just not where I tested. I tested at 1300 feet of elevation on a flat calm lake . SO I "assume" it will go 100 in the right conditions , plus I have a new motor (it always ran kinda weird before). My star motor was carrying the old motor a bit. You can tell when you accelerate. So maybe even 102 when it's all said and done. But I am confident of 100 @ 5700 rpms give or take. I never told anyone what to run in their motor.

Last edited by mcprodesign; 08-22-2014 at 06:06 PM.
Old 08-22-2014, 04:42 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by cheech
I'm actually confused as in this thread you say they have been running great, but in This One Here you state one had a hole in the piston.
Well this is off topic, but If you run your boat hard testing props all day, be careful backing the boat back in the water.Cold water can go in the exhaust pipe and get into the cyl. The heads are hot and some cold water splashed in the exhaust and shrunk the valve seat enough to dislodge it. It has to be a perfect storm. The motor has to be hot. The water has to be cold and the valve has to be open so the seat can fall out. Happens with alimun heads and cast iron heads. And It happend to me. Just sucks, but i will deal with it. Also bad exhaust manifold gaskets can cause water to get in there too. It happens to bone stock marine engine now and then . ask anyone. The solution.. Change the friggin props out while the boat is in the water.
Old 08-23-2014, 12:05 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gear ratio 1.5 prop 32 p rpm 5600 speed 98.0. I know I say 100 and it will go 100. Just not where I tested. I tested at 1300 feet of elevation on a flat calm lake . SO I "assume" it will go 100 in the right conditions , plus I have a new motor (it always ran kinda weird before). My star motor was carrying the old motor a bit. You can tell when you accelerate. So maybe even 102 when it's all said and done. But I am confident of 100 @ 5700 rpms give or take. I never told anyone what to run in their motor.
Well your 32 bravos are actually 31.5 (or less) and that makes for 11-12% slip...........must be doing something right.
Old 08-23-2014, 01:01 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by high&Dry
Well your 32 bravos are actually 31.5 (or less) and that makes for 11-12% slip...........must be doing something right.
thank you! And they are not Bravos though, they are Herings
Old 08-23-2014, 08:23 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Stock 575 sci motors with yR5's for Years and no burn on the pistons plugs or anything,. How is this possible. That is the question. Maybe the blower shop makes just that much better 250 blowers. I am at about 6-7 psi boost. I would really love to know .
So you are saying the compressed air that comes out of the blower shop blower is of higher quality than the stock 575 blower? lol

The BS blower is still a roots style 250 blower, which means it makes the same cfm as the stock blower. Where it is different is the fact that it is beefier construction, so less prone to failure. It is a nice upgrade for strength, but it ends there. In fact, being that it is billet construction, and heavy duty, it may actually retain more heat.

If the plug is working for you, who cares I guess. But you didn't build your set up, so we may not know all the details of what was done. We also do not know your driving habits. 2 weeks ago I did a 125 mile poker run and never went below 4500 rpm, and was WOT half the run. That is why I was harping on you for making such a bold statement about what plug the OP should run.
Old 08-23-2014, 08:25 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Well this is off topic, but If you run your boat hard testing props all day, be careful backing the boat back in the water.Cold water can go in the exhaust pipe and get into the cyl. The heads are hot and some cold water splashed in the exhaust and shrunk the valve seat enough to dislodge it. It has to be a perfect storm. The motor has to be hot. The water has to be cold and the valve has to be open so the seat can fall out. Happens with alimun heads and cast iron heads. And It happend to me. Just sucks, but i will deal with it. Also bad exhaust manifold gaskets can cause water to get in there too. It happens to bone stock marine engine now and then . ask anyone. The solution.. Change the friggin props out while the boat is in the water.
Are you running the stock E-tops with the split routing that Fountain runs factory? My tails split half to the bull horn bottom exit, and half to the thru hull.
Old 08-23-2014, 10:01 AM
Registered

4 bus, I am pretty sure my set up is all stock as Sanborn and the guys set it up in 2005.I have nothing to compare it to to be sure. I know the engines are stock cause i just had one apart.. The chillers are part of my water exit. I don't think I will ever go by what you say. Uahua ha ha ha

Last edited by mcprodesign; 08-23-2014 at 10:14 AM.