Notices

Good starter boat?

Old 08-21-2014, 03:45 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lake St. Clair can get pretty sloppy. I would look at Formulas, Active Thunders, Velocity 280 (or older 260s. The older 260 is now called the 280). I had a newer Velocity 260 (a 24' hull plus platform) and occasionally took a ride across St. Clair (often in Lake Erie). While it was a great boat, it was fast, had a deep cockpit, roomy cabin (probably a bit smaller than the AT), had a nice windshield to keep you out of the cold wind (spring and fall), and was great on fuel.. Having the extra 2' of running surface would have been nice to have on those choppy days. The Active Thunder won't be the fastest (equal power) but will be a solid ride in the Great Lakes. Probably one of the largest Cabins in that size boat. If you aren't too concerned with cockpit and cabin space a Sunsation would be a great economical boat. There are a decent amount of them runnin around the Great Lakes. Baja Outlaws 24 & 25s are plentiful in the Great Lakes region, however it seems they get a premium around here because of Name recognition. I sold my 03 Velocity 260 for $22k and it was spotless w/low hours. Yet mid to late 90s Baja seem to be listed for a lot more, yet simply aren't in the same class when it comes to fit/finish and performance...... Good luck in your search! After Labor Day the deals will really start popping up as people will want to get out of their boats to avoid winter storage..

Last edited by low_psi; 08-21-2014 at 04:00 AM.
Old 08-21-2014, 07:56 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

First boat to you I would stick to something at the 23-25 foot level. I wouldnt necessarily go performance first brands like crownline, four winns, chaparral, mariah, plenty out there that are sporty enough and you can get your feet wet. But if your going performance look at Baja or maybe formula.
Old 08-21-2014, 09:09 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 84 Likes on 31 Posts

A classic V-bottom performance boat with no steps to get your feet wet so to speak. If you want a true sit down and go fast speedster, you can't beat a Donzi 22 Classic.
If you want more room and a small cabin than a 24-27 foot Baja, Scarab, Formula, Active Thunder, Etc. would be a good choice.
Old 08-21-2014, 09:30 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by scope1407
http://www.powerboatlistings.com/view/29600

I have a 1998 Active Thunder for sale in Chicago, PM me or give me a call 586-651-7389.
I seen that, Nice boat. A little out of my price range to be honest.
Old 08-21-2014, 09:36 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by low_psi
Lake St. Clair can get pretty sloppy. I would look at Formulas, Active Thunders, Velocity 280 (or older 260s. The older 260 is now called the 280). I had a newer Velocity 260 (a 24' hull plus platform) and occasionally took a ride across St. Clair (often in Lake Erie). While it was a great boat, it was fast, had a deep cockpit, roomy cabin (probably a bit smaller than the AT), had a nice windshield to keep you out of the cold wind (spring and fall), and was great on fuel.. Having the extra 2' of running surface would have been nice to have on those choppy days. The Active Thunder won't be the fastest (equal power) but will be a solid ride in the Great Lakes. Probably one of the largest Cabins in that size boat. If you aren't too concerned with cockpit and cabin space a Sunsation would be a great economical boat. There are a decent amount of them runnin around the Great Lakes. Baja Outlaws 24 & 25s are plentiful in the Great Lakes region, however it seems they get a premium around here because of Name recognition. I sold my 03 Velocity 260 for $22k and it was spotless w/low hours. Yet mid to late 90s Baja seem to be listed for a lot more, yet simply aren't in the same class when it comes to fit/finish and performance...... Good luck in your search! After Labor Day the deals will really start popping up as people will want to get out of their boats to avoid winter storage..
Thanks for the advice. I have herd the "after labor day" a few times. And i will probably wait until then. Because realistically i will be looking for somewhat of a project ( upholstery & canvas wise ) that i can do over the winter, Use it for a month / month and a half and sell it when everyone is trying to buy a boat. I have a problem with keeping anything anyways lol. I really like the AT's maybe i will find one cheap enough in my budget that i can do a little work to and use it for a little bit.
Old 08-21-2014, 12:50 PM
Ing
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by soldier4402
First boat to you I would stick to something at the 23-25 foot level. I wouldnt necessarily go performance first brands like crownline, four winns, chaparral, mariah, plenty out there that are sporty enough and you can get your feet wet. But if your going performance look at Baja or maybe formula.
Wouldn't go anywhere near the chopper gun boats mentioned (crownline, four winns, chaparral, mariah). Stick to true, quality built boats that were designed for rough water use. The Formula line mentioned would also be worthy of consideration with AT, Baja, Check and Sunsation. Good luck.
Old 08-21-2014, 01:08 PM
Registered

Received 234 Likes on 81 Posts

What is your budget?
Old 08-21-2014, 01:38 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Drock78
What is your budget?
No more than 25k. Even then that would be pushing it. I would have to get an extremely great deal on a boat to spend the 25k
Old 08-21-2014, 02:31 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Also it sounds like you want to "flip" a boat. Doesn't generally work out to be profitable. Just a heads up. Boats are never worth the money you put it in.
Old 08-21-2014, 04:26 PM
Registered

Oh trust me i know. I restored a few cars in the past. Im more or less looking for something i can do a little work to in the winter, Enjoy it for a month or two, sell it and look for something else. If i dont sell it than oh well. I enjoy doing upholstery and i am very good at it. It wont cost me much to make a boat look nice. But i have done some research and from what everyone on here is telling me i have found a few boats i like. Im just trying to get a good idea on a nice starter boat and what to look for. Ill tell you what tho i really like them AT's. Might have to set some more $$ aside and look for one. Thanks guys!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.