Originally Posted by Scott B
Even in Naples thats suspect...
yea who woulda thunk I would stand out like that in this fine community of ours
Old 08-23-2014, 08:02 PM
RBT
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post

T2x, I'll bite.
What nonsense. Do you suggest lifting with a ratcheting gearcase is a suitable solution to getting yourself out of a bad situation?
Old 08-23-2014, 09:57 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Started out good, thanks for the explanation of things from guys who have done it, I have never drove one and have no idea, only road on 3 in my life
Old 08-24-2014, 03:49 AM
bor
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I also think when you get off the throttles the props stop lift the back of the boat as that is what the cleaver props are doing lift the stern so that also make it worse together whit dave s explanation about the mass in the back want to pass the bow you get a disaster .

Originally Posted by LubeJobs42
Slamming the throttles forward, the torque pushes the bow down.
If a boat it running opened up and trimmed out with no throttle left, there is nothing left to do. If you pull back on the throttles you lose the torque that is pushing you forward and you kite.
Old 08-24-2014, 08:51 AM
Registered

Received 57 Likes on 27 Posts

I like the idea of the spoiler/canard in the front! Most of the really fast tunnel hull jet boats run one!
Old 08-24-2014, 09:26 AM
Registered

Received 445 Likes on 243 Posts

its really pretty simple airplanes rotate on takeoff but do not flip do to aerodynamic controls a big flap on the nose that could deploy is a split second would stop the upward rotation of the nose or bow we do have the knowledge and technology to stop cats from blowing over period
Old 08-24-2014, 10:09 AM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

unsolveable equation there.....

Sure you can make a 200 mph boat more stable, but then you will put more hp in it untill it again becomes unstable

because of the psychological factor. People like us like to be on the edge, if you move the edge farther away, we just go farther to find the edge. A few years ago 200 mph was the edge, Qatar is now knocking on 250. A few years ago a cat going over at 180 was unsurvivable, today they survived. canopies/safety cells have improved but that was 179 not 244.
Old 08-24-2014, 11:29 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bor
I also think when you get off the throttles the props stop lift the back of the boat as that is what the cleaver props are doing lift the stern so that also make it worse together whit dave s explanation about the mass in the back want to pass the bow you get a disaster .
That all depends on the setup and props. Some props provide stern lift while others provide bow lift.
Old 08-25-2014, 09:40 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can't imagine they had much if any stick left to add additional power to force the bow back down. Looking at the video, it does appear it was trimmed up pretty high, being a Monday morning QB, probably too high. I'm sure it takes a lot of high speed cat experience to learn the feel of what's semi-safe and what's too much. Sadly at those speeds most never get a second chance to learn what 'too much' feels like. This is where having someone with vast amounts of high speed cat experience (like JT) in the boat is priceless.

Sadly all it takes today to get into a 180+ mph cat is a big wallet. Those speeds should be approached very slowly and with a lot of respect for the danger involved. Hopefully Mike makes a full recovery, but I'm sure he'll be a little less aggressive with the trim the next time those speeds are approached in a cat.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.