Notices

Arizona boat titles?

Old 08-26-2014, 06:35 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Arizona boat titles?

Need some info from any brethren in Arizona. I am purchasing a boat that is registered as an Arizona boat although the owner lives in California. I was shown a registration for the boat as registered in Arizona with the owners address in California. I am told that there is no title for the boat because a title is not required in Arizona. The boat is located and being sold through a reputable marine shop in California. I will be bringing the boat to Florida which is a title state and requires that the boat be titled as well as registered. Can any Arizonians pitch in here. Are boats titled in Arizona? Or are they just registered there?

Thanks in advance for any help and insight.

Frank
Old 08-26-2014, 08:09 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The registration is the title. You sign the back of the current registration and that acts as release of interest (title). In Arizona to transfer titles they need to be notarized. for you that likely doesn't matter. Sounds correct to me. You might find out if Fl wants a bill of sale.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:21 PM
Registered

Received 441 Likes on 263 Posts

I bought a boat in AZ that was registered in AZ by a CA owner. Brought it to Indiana which is a title state and had NO issues getting it titled. Not exactly the same, but you probably won't have any trouble getting it titled, DMV's deal with this every day.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:56 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Great, thanks guys, I feel better now.

OSO comes through yet again!
Old 08-26-2014, 11:04 PM
Registered

Received 3,241 Likes on 1,050 Posts

Californians do this all the time to avoid the luxury tax and high sales tax in ca. Since many ca boater own homes in Az and boat in Havasu they use the Az address since Az doesn't have luxury tax.
Old 08-27-2014, 05:35 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 283 Likes on 118 Posts

Just purchased a top gun from Scottsdale and no issues with the registration cards from Arizona to title it in Michigan. Only problem is the trailer, in Michigan you have to have the weight of the trailer which isn't on the Arizona trailer title. Have to get trailer weighted for plates.
Old 08-27-2014, 10:57 AM
Registered

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Drake22.250
Just purchased a top gun from Scottsdale and no issues with the registration cards from Arizona to title it in Michigan. Only problem is the trailer, in Michigan you have to have the weight of the trailer which isn't on the Arizona trailer title. Have to get trailer weighted for plates.
Contact the trailer mfg and have them fax you the info. Just went thru that a few months ago.

S O S wanted me to do the same thing about getting the trailer weighed, until I called the mfg and had them fax the info.

Totally irrelevant to anything on here, but a big thumbs up to the state of AZ. Just sold a boat that was heading there, and there is no sales tax paid when the sale is thru two private party's. Wish that applied everywhere.
Old 08-27-2014, 11:02 AM
Registered

Received 3,241 Likes on 1,050 Posts

Originally Posted by Madman7

Totally irrelevant to anything on here, but a big thumbs up to the state of AZ. Just sold a boat that was heading there, and there is no sales tax paid when the sale is thru two private party's. Wish that applied everywhere.
Yep! Az is the "Bahamas" of the west coast! take delivery in Az and reg in Az. No sales tax no luxury tax.
Old 08-27-2014, 12:44 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sales tax does apply here in AZ when buying through a dealer, private sale it does not. We can also get permanent tags for our trailers too