Notices

Help!! No Sound

Old 08-27-2014, 12:32 AM
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!! No Sound

Just got my 98 Donzi 28ZX... It has twin 350's with factory "silent choice" exhaust... My buddy ran it for me tonight and I was so disappointed standing on the shore in the noise level. My other boat with a single 350 and Captain's Call is louder... Does anyone know about these baffles and how to remove them?! I need more sound! Can someone please help?!
Old 08-27-2014, 01:44 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by av8rdat
Just got my 98 Donzi 28ZX... It has twin 350's with factory "silent choice" exhaust... My buddy ran it for me tonight and I was so disappointed standing on the shore in the noise level. My other boat with a single 350 and Captain's Call is louder... Does anyone know about these baffles and how to remove them?! I need more sound! Can someone please help?!
most guys just replace the tips with a good set of slash cut ones..you have to remove the tip to cut out the center so you may as well replace them..
Old 08-27-2014, 08:35 AM
Registered

I cut mine out with a torch and it was a b!tch then baught flappers from imco that go inside the tip and are held in place with bushings. Made my 454s sound a lot nicer
Old 08-27-2014, 09:29 AM
VIP Member

I looked at removing the tips and found 3 studs through the transom for each tip. What is the re-sealing procedure like going back on with them?
Old 09-08-2014, 02:02 AM
VIP Member

So come to find out... I had "Silencer Tips" on the boat. Who in their right mind would pay for these? but hat is not the question. So I removed each tip, took a plasma cutter and gutted the silencer portion. (be advised, don't get in a hurry and think you need to do this friday afternoon so you can run it friday night). I did get mine all back together and we did make "last call" at our only waterside bar (oh and we had the ribs too) but the plasma cutter works well as long as the tips are off the boat. Being careful and not in a rush will keep you from bluing a couple spots like I did... The boat does sound so much better now!
Old 09-08-2014, 07:53 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

I used to be a street racer.....I've kept the mentality.

Walk softly but carry a big stick vs walk loudly and not be able to do schit.

If I could have a 100% silent exhaust with no power / speed reduction, I'd be all over it.

Obviously, I understand the noise thing......unless the vehicle making the noise is a turd. Then, it drives me nutz. LOL.
Old 09-10-2014, 04:33 PM
Registered

Everybody to their own but I agree, if you don't NEED the free flow for max power; Noise = douche

Glad you are happy, just don't bring the noise police down on the rest of us.

Last edited by ChargeIt; 09-10-2014 at 04:37 PM.