Notices

V hull's past 2014?

Old 08-27-2014, 10:40 PM
Registered

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts
Default V hull's past 2014?

I ask this question with all due respect to the Fiore family and Outerlimits Powerboats. And If my question is too soon after Mike's passing, please PM me and I will delete.

With the economy taking Fountain out, and Reggie's debacle also taking Baja out. The creditors and/or management impacting/taking out Pantera. Donzi going to the wayside and with the tragic 2014 Shootout events that possibly (I sincerely hope not), effecting Outerlimits future?? Where does the performance 'V' market turn?

MTI, Skater and Mystic seem to be fine in the cat market. Eliminator has some 'V's but seem to push the small/mid sized cats. Cig, Formula and Sunsation are strong in the 'V''s, but who else can make an impact in 2014 and beyond? I know that there several current builders that are building limited number of production boats or boats that are 'half-ass' offshore, but....

I find myself looking back to 2004 - 2007'ish and seeing several different options. I really kinda question today's 'V' market's options and more so, I question 5 years from now. Who's going to blossom tomorrow? Or is all the old, outdated, past glorified 'V's going to double in value?

Chad
Old 08-28-2014, 07:23 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Good question. I have to believe that as long as there are powerboat enthusiasts in the world, there will be a market tor v hulls. Not everyone is a cat lover. I am in the process of purchasing my first cat. However my love for Vs remains.
Old 08-28-2014, 08:13 AM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by RebarBox
I ask this question with all due respect to the Fiore family and Outerlimits Powerboats. And If my question is too soon after Mike's passing, please PM me and I will delete.

With the economy taking Fountain out, and Reggie's debacle also taking Baja out. The creditors and/or management impacting/taking out Pantera. Donzi going to the wayside and with the tragic 2014 Shootout events that possibly (I sincerely hope not), effecting Outerlimits future?? Where does the performance 'V' market turn?

MTI, Skater and Mystic seem to be fine in the cat market. Eliminator has some 'V's but seem to push the small/mid sized cats. Cig, Formula and Sunsation are strong in the 'V''s, but who else can make an impact in 2014 and beyond? I know that there several current builders that are building limited number of production boats or boats that are 'half-ass' offshore, but....

I find myself looking back to 2004 - 2007'ish and seeing several different options. I really kinda question today's 'V' market's options and more so, I question 5 years from now. Who's going to blossom tomorrow? Or is all the old, outdated, past glorified 'V's going to double in value?

Chad

1. Define "Vees" as in does that exclude CC's? Nortech/Cig and Sunsation easily sell more CC's than performance Vee bottoms (probably a 3 or 4 to one ratio).
2. OL has plenty of talent there and Paul Fiore (founder of Hustler) could easily take the reigns.
3. 2004-07 boats were plentiful but at this point it is getting to be very cost effective to redo an older boat with everything new than buy new. Case in point, the 2000 TS TG for sale for 99K (2+ years at that price). If you buy that boat at 85K, repaint/new interior/ new Merc power/drives.....even spending 150K on the redo you are in that boat with a new Myco for 250K and it is the same boat that Cig would sell you today for 200K more.....granted it is 15 years newer but with fresh paint/power I would bet 1-2% of the people at a boat show would know the true age of the boat (dash changed in mid 2000's). You could do this redo with a Formula Fastec, 32 SS Sunsation or any current production boat. Ironically, the toughest boat to do this to would be an OL because of all the updates Mike did to the hulls, most models were redesigned after a few years so there isn't a 15 year old OL that looks anything like a new model.
Old 08-28-2014, 08:23 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

V-hulls are here to stay, and I think there will be continued evolution as materials and lamination techiques continue to advance. Cats aren't for everyone, I have had v-hulls since 1998, and that was mainly because cat insurance was so expnsive here in FL. but just got a small cat (25') this year, because cat insurance in FL. finally became reasonable again.....
Old 08-28-2014, 09:15 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with Jupiter Sunsation ,, Vees are not going anywhere,,there just has been a big shift in the market to CC style performance Vees not to mention the fast cruiser market like the SS Formulas.. The closed deck Vees really only appeal to the "hot-rod' crowd(like me) while the CC and fast cruisers appeal to most everyone else.. A lot of guys because of family and wife pressure will buy one of these to stay with a sporty boat but make the wifey and kids happy ..
Nice part is since the bottom hull is the same whether its a CC or a closed deck is that both will continue to be offered.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:24 AM
Registered

Received 86 Likes on 24 Posts

Active Thunder produces some really nice V bottoms up to 37' (They have plans for a 41'). Chief has built some nice 41's with steps. Checkmate has some really nice offerings up to 28'. Baja is back building V bottoms. Formula still has their Fastechs....
Old 08-28-2014, 09:32 AM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by JUPITER PULSARE
Active Thunder produces some really nice V bottoms up to 37' (They have plans for a 41'). Chief has built some nice 41's with steps. Checkmate has some really nice offerings up to 28'. Baja is back building V bottoms. Formula still has their Fastechs....
.....and to bring this full circle....How many of these have been built/sold in recent years? In that above group I would be stunned if there are 20 boats total built in the last 2 years.

41 Chief.... Used one 159k lightly used/redone/8 years old or a new one 700k!

Baja 35 recently featured by Matt T mentioned 200k price point with HO's.......nice boat but a lot of other options out there at the 200k mark too!
Old 08-28-2014, 09:33 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Agree with above that redo/updating the rigging and power of recent V hulls is the way to go until some fundamental hull design or material advance makes this option less attractive. There have been great advances in engines over the last 15 years but only tweaks or cosmetic changes to boat hulls with no fundamental material or design changes.

I wanted a CC and reupholstered and updated my 35 Marlago for ridiculously little money.

Last edited by On Time; 08-28-2014 at 09:35 AM.
Old 08-28-2014, 12:43 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 84 Likes on 39 Posts

Don't forget the west coast builders

LaveyCraft builds a 32' & 39' V with 24 degree deadrise

Nordic will build a 47'
Old 08-28-2014, 01:22 PM
Registered

Received 258 Likes on 149 Posts

Statement is just not C.C's they will build you a speedy and efficient closed cabin Vee.

Many great builders still out there. The Vee bottom is here to stay.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.