Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
How many people think that reggie fountain should not up the vee bottom record >

How many people think that reggie fountain should not up the vee bottom record

Notices

How many people think that reggie fountain should not up the vee bottom record

Old 08-28-2014, 01:14 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 36Tango
In my opinion, it would be and insult to Mike Fiore for anybody to stop pushing the envelope, whether it be speed, efficiency, or stability. It would be much more of an honor to take what has been learned and implement it into future design in order to make them safer, while faster and more stable.
That pretty well sums it up.
That being said I don't think anyone has any yearning for it at this time.
Old 08-28-2014, 01:16 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This fascination with ultimate speed is IMHO not good for our hobby. Only a few elites can afford what it takes to go for these outrageous speeds and the danger that they engender is not worth it. Even if you have the money to play, you don't necessarily have the boating skills needed. Costs for insurance will increase as insurance companies read about 'accidents' and the sport will continue to shrink.
Old 08-28-2014, 01:19 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Did they stop building boats when Don A died?

Learn from accidents and improve if you want to honor someone.
Old 08-28-2014, 01:26 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Don got shot.
Old 08-28-2014, 01:34 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rumor has it
Old 08-28-2014, 01:35 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,207 Likes on 523 Posts

Off the top of my head, I can immediately think of 3 boat company owner/builders who have passed as a result of catastrophic events in said boats. This fact alone pains me to type on this topic. Hence the reason for my first note on this thread. We don't need to lose anyone else.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 08-28-2014 at 01:37 PM.
Old 08-28-2014, 01:46 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,121 Likes on 1,405 Posts

It all depends on how you look at things. Thus, many of us will look at it in many different ways.

Here's a few odd examples but will drive my point home:

We have very large Bike Week here. If the deaths are under 12 for the week, we call it 'Successful.'

We have a pretty large 'small mountain' here known for it's horrible weather. The horrible weather is what attracts climbers, bicyclists, skiers, sight seer's, and etc. It averages 24 rescue operations a year.

And this quote:

The Hike Known as the most dangerous small mountain in the world, 6,288-foot Mt. Washington boasts some scary stats: The highest wind velocity ever recorded at any surface weather station (231 mph) was logged here on April 12, 1934. And 137 recorded fatalaties.
People still swarm to both of these.

Listen, I'm into extreme sports. I'm older now so don't partake in them the same way. I'm old, beat up, and still alive...somehow. I broke my back 2 different times and well over 20-30 other bones over time.....so I wasn't that much of a wannabe. LOL.

If you fully know what the consequences are of what you are doing, and don't injure or kill an INNOCENT person doing so, you have every right to do it, and I'll applaud you for your actions as it is your right.

I married late in life. Even though my chances of perishing had diminshed at that point, I still do things that give me some % chance. I have had serious discussions with my wife/child/parents/ siblings and etc about this.

Why ? So they could atleast try to understand which of course is hard to.

Also, because growing up I not only barely made it back home many times, but because I have had to identify a few bodies and had gone to probably over a dozen other funerals because of the same actions.

If you don't understand how some of us are (cliff climbers, ice climbers, parachutists, stunt plane pilots, mountain climbers, ski jumpers, snow boarders, race car drivers, motorcycle racing, snowmobiling and snowmobiling racing, surfers, extreme kayaker's, on, and on, and on - how far should I have to go with this ?)
then please don't try to make laws, regulations, etc,etc and especially moral judgements on what we do.

My motto's:

again, if you really want to do it - try to do it as well equipped and smartly as you can and go for it....just don't take out someone innocent to the event.

We have just one life to live. Go live it.

Play Hard, but play smart.

Lastly, and as part of my family and friend discussions, If I go out and do something that causes me never to return, still love me for who I was and don't ever, ever ! try to have laws/regulations/or etc be done to keep others from able to go out and do the same thing if they so desire.

Over and out - that's enough as I'm getting fired up. LOL.

Last edited by SB; 08-28-2014 at 01:50 PM.
Old 08-28-2014, 01:51 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys I am only asking should Reggie go after the record or stop since the record was set in his own backyard? that's all... in memory of Mike?
Old 08-28-2014, 01:55 PM
Registered

Received 735 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by SB
It all depends on how you look at things. Thus, many of us will look at it in many different ways.

Here's a few odd examples but will drive my point home:

We have very large Bike Week here. If the deaths are under 12 for the week, we call it 'Successful.'

We have a pretty large 'small mountain' here known for it's horrible weather. The horrible weather is what attracts climbers, bicyclists, skiers, sight seer's, and etc. It averages 24 rescue operations a year.

And this quote:

People still swarm to both of these.

Listen, I'm into extreme sports. I'm older now so don't partake in them the same way. I'm old, beat up, and still alive...somehow. I broke my back 2 different times and well over 20-30 other bones over time.....so I wasn't that much of a wannabe. LOL.

If you fully know what the consequences are of what you are doing, and don't injure or kill an INNOCENT person doing so, you have every right to do it, and I'll applaud you for your actions as it is your right.

I married late in life. Even though my chances of perishing had diminshed at that point, I still do things that give me some % chance. I have had serious discussions with my wife/child/parents/ siblings and etc about this.

Why ? So they could atleast try to understand which of course is hard to.

Also, because growing up I not only barely made it back home many times, but because I have had to identify a few bodies and had gone to probably over a dozen other funerals because of the same actions.

If you don't understand how some of us are (cliff climbers, ice climbers, parachutists, stunt plane pilots, mountain climbers, ski jumpers, snow boarders, race car drivers, motorcycle racing, snowmobiling and snowmobiling racing, surfers, extreme kayaker's, on, and on, and on - how far should I have to go with this ?)
then please don't try to make laws, regulations, etc,etc and especially moral judgements on what we do.

My motto's:

again, if you really want to do it - try to do it as well equipped and smartly as you can and go for it....just don't take out someone innocent to the event.

We have just one life to live. Go live it.

Play Hard, but play smart.

Lastly, and as part of my family and friend discussions, If I go out and do something that causes me never to return, still love me for who I was and don't ever, ever ! try to have laws/regulations/or etc be done to keep others from able to go out and do the same thing if they so desire.

Over and out - that's enough as I'm getting fired up. LOL.
Tell that to the wives and kids left behind
Old 08-28-2014, 02:01 PM
Registered

Received 750 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by DARREN US1
Guys I am only asking should Reggie go after the record or stop since the record was set in his own backyard? that's all... in memory of Mike?
Yes, Reggie should go after the record if he feels inclined to want to try to break it. I don't see it being disrespectful to Mike's memory. Quite the opposite...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.