My Mike Fiore Story.....let's share yours >

My Mike Fiore Story.....let's share yours

Notices

My Mike Fiore Story.....let's share yours

Old 08-31-2014, 11:41 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Mike Fiore Story.....let's share yours

In the interest of healing for those that Mike had an impact on, I felt it worthwhile to share this, and I encourage others to share happy stories of one of our sports biggest icons

Quite a few years back, I couldn't help but notice the creations of Mike Fiore. I've always had a passion for powerboating, artistic design and the essence of speed. Over the years, Mike Fiore has more than perfected it. Being a custom painter and designer, as far back as I can remember, it had been a personal goal of mine to get to meet the man behind these beautiful creations, just to talk shop if nothing else.
Fast forward to August of 2013; I was contacted via Facebook by Joel Begin. He'd been following my posts of my custom paint work, and asked me if I'd be interested in designing and painting his new 2015 Outerlimits. I sort of giggled to myself (thinking this is way too good to be true) but immediately replied with a YES, along with design fee and payment method. 20 minutes later, my email notification alerted me that "Joel Begin sent you X amount of dollars" I was beside myself to say the least. Joel asked if I'd be in Key West for the SBI World Championships, and said we'd meet up there with my designs on an SD card, and to meet with THE Mike Fiore!! Mike was very skeptical when we first shook hands, as I was VERY nervous. Then Mike took one look at my designs asked a few questions, then extended his hand and said "oh yeah, a lot of potential right here" He put a calm over me at that moment, and he knew it! Later that evening, my wife and I were walking through the boat show and the docks, and someone gives a tug at my shirt, and it's Mike. "Come here Steve, I want you to meet someone. He introduces me to his friend and member of the Outerlimits Family, Buddy Thomas, and tells Buddy this is the guy that's gonna paint your's and Joel's new cats. Aside from my wedding day and the birthdays of my two children, this day in Key West was undoubtably the best day of my life.
Fast forward to April 1st, 2014; I'm at Outerlimits Powerboats, in disbelief at the opportunity in front of me.
Now if you know Mike, then you know that when Mike walks through the doors at Outerlimits, he's all business. As far as the painting went, he asked a few questions, but left us to do our work. Now I'm a worker, and I absolutely LOVE painting these boats, but I always liked to catch Mike off guard and break the ice, on a daily basis. It was never hard to get one of those signature high pitched laughs out of him. He told me "you like to keep it light around here, I like that" and follow it up with that signature smile.
Me and my employee got to spend a couple months time up in Rhode Island, and painted 3 boats. I got to have dinner with Mike on a few occasions during that time. He'd share some of his and his father's history of the company, along with the present and the future of Outerlimits. We talked about life, about family, his 3 children. He talked about his wife and what a tough cookie she is. He even pulled me aside on a couple occasions and took me for a ride in Joe Sgro's World Record SV43 race boat.

EVERY day I spent painting and being around these amazing powerboats Mike created, I had to pinch myself to make sure I was't dreaming..........but every day since I was on the water at the 2014 Loto Shootout, and especially since Tuesday August 26th, I keep hoping and praying that this is, in fact, just a bad dream.
Mike Fiore had a very large footprint. He touched and impacted many people in the performance powerboating community in his short time with us. So many of us are at a loss right now, but I for one, am a better person for knowing him, and he sure had a huge impact on me in such a very short time.
I know that time will heal the hurt of Mike's untimely death. My prayers are for his Wife Shonda, children Sophie, Jet, and Moxie, father Paul, Mother Joyce, sister Donna,and brother in law (but mostly brother) Dustin, close friend Joe Sgro, and his 2nd son he was grooming Dan.
I cannot possibly fathom what they are going through during this dark chapter of life, and I will continue to pray day that God will comfort and heal them.
In the interest of "keeping it light" and in an effort to bring healing to the Outerlimits Family, and the powerboating community; let's hear your Mike Fiore Story??
Old 08-31-2014, 11:46 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

I can sum up the last ten years in one photograph ....

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 08-31-2014, 11:48 PM
Registered

That's First Class right there Tim
Old 09-01-2014, 08:32 AM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

My story is short and simple. I was drooling over the Scotto's 52' GottaGo at the Buffalo Run, asked a couple questions of the owner, who was very gracious, and he introduced me to Mike. Mike shook my hand, chatted about the boats for a few minutes, and introduced me to Steve Curtis. I am sure he had to deal with that 100x that weekend, and was still a happy and accommodating. Definately a class act.
Old 09-01-2014, 09:03 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I met Mike last December. OuterLimits had taken in a 47 Fountain on trade for a customer that had purchased an SV52 and I was interested in buying the Fountain from them. I dealt primarily with Dan Kleitz, who is a great guy and is like a son to Mike Fiore, he should not be overlooked here.. I went up to Rhode Island and spent most of the day there, getting a tour of the factory from Mike and Dan, swapping stories about boats, family, real estate, Long Island, etc. It was one of the best days I've ever had. The sale could not have gone any smoother and even though I was not buying one of their boats, Mike and Dan always treated me as if I had. The last thing Mike had said to me before I left the factory, was "you are part of the Outer Limits family now"...

I saw the OL gang again at the Miami Boat Show back in February and was greeted by Mike with a big smile, firm handshake and "you ready to trade up yet?"... The week before the accident, I had some issues with one of the engines on my Fountain and had some questions, so I reached out to Mike. 9 months after I bought the boat, he offered to fix it for me for free. Who does that? That's just the kind of guy he was. I had spoken to him on the Tuesday before the accident; when I returned from a day on the water on Saturday, 8/23, I couldn't believe what I was hearing / reading. In an industry where there is so much room for bad stuff to go on, here was a guy that always bent over backwards for everyone. I didn't know Mike a long time and I didn't know him that well, but he was the type of person that had an impact on you no matter how much or how little time you spend with him. I am still so saddened by his passing and feel so terribly for his grieving family. Here are some pictures from my tour of the factory, so you can marvel at the masterpieces created by Mike.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]528614[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]528615[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]528616[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]528617[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]528618[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]528619[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]528620[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails My Mike Fiore Story.....let's share yours-dscn1003.jpg   My Mike Fiore Story.....let's share yours-dscn1007.jpg   My Mike Fiore Story.....let's share yours-dscn1005.jpg  

My Mike Fiore Story.....let's share yours-dscn1004.jpg   My Mike Fiore Story.....let's share yours-dscn1002.jpg   My Mike Fiore Story.....let's share yours-dscn1001.jpg  

My Mike Fiore Story.....let's share yours-dscn1000.jpg  
Old 09-01-2014, 11:05 AM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

I made some edits. It only seems right to have a border of carbon fiber ....

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !

Last edited by SHARKEY-IMAGES; 09-01-2014 at 11:07 AM.
Old 09-01-2014, 03:39 PM
Registered

Received 62 Likes on 36 Posts

My story is short and sweet. I had always had a passion for boats since I can remember. In my early 20's I moved to Newport Rhode Island for a girl. ( I married that girl). I decided to take a keep of faith and go to the outerlimits factory one day to see if they were hiring and sure enough they were. I will always remember how excited I was to have mike and Paul Fiore's phone numbers plugged into my phone. Fast forward. I ended up working there for probably close to 8 years. Those 8 years in my opinion is when things were going crazy in the performance boat world. We were attending tons of poker runs. Guys were buying toter homes to tow there boats and bringing choppers and exotic cars ong with them, it seemed endless! I can remember working 15 hour days at boat shows then partying all night and doing all over agin the next day!! It was fun and I got to meet a lot of great and interesting people. I will never forget my time at outerlimits. I can honestly say I have never felt more pride for a company that I have worked for than Outerlimits. So I sort if don't have just one story. Fast forward again this time ten years later and two kids later. I hadn't seen mike in a while and I recently got to chat with him at the factory Becuase a friend of mine was rehabbing an older 42 epoxy. I am glad I got to see him one last time. I got a big hug from him and a firm handshake. I will never forget that day along with my time there. It's still surreal to me.
Old 09-01-2014, 10:05 PM
Registered

That's great stuff guys. I was hoping to hear some stories. My heart absolutely breaks for this family, but I just know that The impact of this had a huge ripple effect on many.
And the story about him taking care of your non-warranty boat; sounds just like something he would do.
And you're right about Danny. Met him the day I met Mike. He's got some big shoes to fill, but he has the raw passion Mike had. That'll carry him through this and beyond

Last edited by PRO PAINTER; 09-01-2014 at 10:08 PM.
Old 09-02-2014, 05:16 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

(Copied my post from a similar thread)>>>>
I actually like this idea remembering Mike and telling some interesting stories.
I like to share mine, if I may. I miss him and being an old fart I still have tears writing this. RIP buddy.
Many knew him, even more knew of him, and we will remember his legacy. One thing for sure he was a down to earth, crazy SOB, and I mean this with all respect.
I met Mike in 1996. Back in those days Poker Runs were a bit different. The Pier 33/Thunder Marine run was the one to be in. (Benton Harbor to Grand haven) Participants were literally waiting in line to get a spot. Once the run was filled it was it. Previous attendees had the "seat" reserved, so I had a spot, due to doing the runs before. My tub being in Florida, I call the staff and offered my spot. I got a call soon after that Mr. Mike Fiore of OL would like to "buy it" and do the run, he has a "special boat" want to bring. I had no knowledge of OL's or Mike at the time, but I said the spot is not for sale, it's given and all have fun and be safe. A day or so later Mike calls me, being friendly, down to earth, thanking me for the spot and "strongly requesting" for me to attend. I flew up, met up and saw my first OL. A yellow/red with checker flag design, OL with Caterpillar inline Marine 6's and Arnesons drives. I was pretty savvy with hull designs, clueless about motors but we started talking "shop". What a pleasant times. Right from the get go, I saw that this young man will push the envelopes and will come up with new and original concepts on performance boats. I was soooo right. We did the run, never got above 70. lol, he was laughing about new props and still trying to dial it in, but he was proud that he can go mid 60's all day with half the cost and fuel VS anyone else. We had a great time and friends ever since. I sort of wonder what happened to that Cat powered boat. During the evening festivities, he was constantly asking when can he build me one. Sadly I declined since OL's and other top brands were out of my league at the time. I bumped into him often during his endeavors, races, boat shows, had cocktails with his family but the most striking that he always found the time to talk to ANYONE and always casual, down to earth manner. Every time I "sneaked" in the OL trailer, or stopped by after a show bumping him from the back, his first comment was after cracking up.. Pete!! are you ready??? Ready for your OL?... My normal comment was; Are they free yet? and after some more silly and goof ball comments we talked "shop". I will miss him. RIP buddy and all my best to ALL your family and the OL team.

Peter
(I promised Paul to get some pictures from the old Michigan run, and I am working on transferring the VHF tape to CD, Once done, I will post some pics of the OL, me with "young" Mike".)
Old 09-04-2014, 03:27 PM
Registered

Has anyone heard:

I have been told that the memorial for Mike Fiore will be held:

Mike Fiore Celebration of Life
Sunday, September 7th, 2014 at 1:00pm
Columban Fathers on the lawn
65 Ferry Rd
Bristol, RI 02809

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.