Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   BUDWEISER bends over CALLAN MARINE, Buys cover of Powerboat (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/31756-budweiser-bends-over-callan-marine-buys-cover-powerboat.html)

MarinePerformance 08-27-2002 05:16 PM

Sorry about that I was going from earlier information on the thread. Your numbers give me even more respect for what you have been able to accomplish with that boat. Good luck with your Kilo this winter, looking forward to seeing the 46.

jc

Miller 08-27-2002 05:17 PM

Well, congratulations to both Callan Marine and KiloKat for a safe run and some impressive numbers. I wish you both continued and safe success and you continue to push the limits of speed on the water.

tachyon 08-27-2002 05:19 PM

bmpnugls,

The economics of turbine vs. reciprocating actually are different than you would think. Certainly, the turbine is more "expensive" if amotortized over the life expectancy of a reciprocating engine. However, if you do the regression the other way you'd find the turbine less expensive in the long run.

Kilokat,

Correction, the starter couldn't hear the engine(turbine) being "cut". Just as a turbine "spools" up it "spools" down - no immediate acoustical differentiation as with a blower motor. The turbines were actually "killed" in an attempt to have them hear the "cut" and restarted. It had nothing to do with speed of entry. In fact, they encouraged Callan Marine to enter the box at the same speed as Barcardi (obviously faster).

T2x 08-27-2002 05:24 PM

Why in the world would Bacardi Silver weigh 10,250 lbs for the event?

A 46' twin engine Skater (Superboat class) weighs in at about 9200# without ballast. Not sure how big Bacardi is, but I think it's a 36 footer........? What am I missing here?

T2x

ssherman 08-27-2002 05:29 PM

Originally posted by speedster
So I have to ask a question of all of you participated or spectated at LOTO this year.

If you could only see one of the following participate in next years event, who would you rather see entered?

Budweiser's Hydro

or

Callan Marine's Turbine Boats

-S

my preference would be to see the callan team........However the class i ran in 30ft cat with stock 500hp's somehow got the same make of boat in with 525 sc's because they were stock and had a wire through the bolts on the crank pully....But they only got us by 2mph so if they need to cheat to win i am ok with that.....Besides anytime they want to uphold that speed leaving the shootout they now where we are:D

I also agree that for the money the teams spent to come up and compete for top gun it should have been known prior that Miss Bud was going to Compete........I also agree with the classification breakdown on boats V, cat, hydro but that still leaves bud as the top gun. But had I shown up with a 36 skater with 2500hp alcohol motors and won the top gun and not registered until sunday morning would anyone have complained?

I mean had Roger Borget had more time to dial in the old Drambuie MTI cat he could have easily been a contender and nobody knew he was coming?

KiloKat 08-27-2002 05:33 PM

jc - the same to you and I was genuine when inviting you to The Lake when we're not racing. Would be very pleased to show you around and would even consider a day in The Cove!!! Stay in touch and Best of Luck with your endeavors.

KiloKat 08-27-2002 05:34 PM

t2x - you should come to our next APBA event and witness the scales when we go in the water. We're close to 11,000 lbs because of additional fuel.

KiloKat 08-27-2002 05:37 PM

tachyon - just quoting what I was told Sunday morning by Chief Rucker and his assistants. Nothing more or less.

FunHome 08-27-2002 05:39 PM

I can see why some people were not as happy as in years past with the outcome, maybe they should require the boat's entered in the Shoot-Out to make the OSO run to Big Dick's on the Friday Before!!:D But, then someone would probably end up Shooting "Miss Bud" instead of a Minnow!!;) I'm speaking of Drink's of course!

KiloKat, Again You put on One heck of a Show!! And I bet I can say for everyone here on the Board that we were all routing for you!! BTW, I would rather watch your Boat run anytime compared to any of the turbin boat's, Your Boat Sounds A Lot Better!!:D

Also, once again I heard nothing but great things about You and Crew, I saw you during the display at the "Toad" and your were signing autographs for a bunch of kids so I didn't butt in! Then later I heard from a buddy that was looking at your boat at Shooters, and he said you spent about 20min. just talking about boat's the event and your boat. It made their trip!!

BTW, Who did you have in the Boat with you on Sunday? Didn't John have to fly down to Texas?

tachyon 08-27-2002 05:44 PM

What happened to a Shootout? I thought it was supposed to be a drag race on water. Start everyone in the "box". Don't have different rules for direct drives vs. shiftable. If they can't "neutral" then have them start their engine(s) at the green flag in gear in the box. Just because someone has a crashbox or functional equivalent doesn't mean they should get a rolling/flying start. It is supposed to be fastest speed attained in a mile. In the case of Sunday, it was ~5780 feet - 500 more than a mile for some. I bet the other classes would have appreciated the 500' extra.