Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   BUDWEISER bends over CALLAN MARINE, Buys cover of Powerboat (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/31756-budweiser-bends-over-callan-marine-buys-cover-powerboat.html)

tanned fat looks better 08-27-2002 10:42 AM

BUDWEISER bends over CALLAN MARINE, Buys cover of Powerboat

What a rip off!! Congratulations to Dave Callan for Beating Dave Scott For this years real "TOP GUN" at the LOTO Shootout.

Boy it must be nice to buy the cover of a magazine. That's exactly what Auggie Busch the III (or Whatever) did. The "Top Gun" gets the December cover of Power Boat magazine. I hope they don't piss off some of the big teams and ruin this event for the future.

Power Boat should give the cover to Callan Marine...imho.

Here's a story about it.

Bud screws competition

CigDaze 08-27-2002 10:51 AM

I agree Completely. I've been following the Callen saga since April when I first laid eyes on the boat and thought for sure they would take it...I still feel they honestly should have the title.

packinair 08-27-2002 10:53 AM

that link won't work:confused:

BK 08-27-2002 10:55 AM

http://www.lakesunleader.com/display...ts/sports1.txt

Try this one

tanned fat looks better 08-27-2002 11:05 AM

I fixed it.

Uncle Toys 08-27-2002 11:12 AM

I don’t get it, is this the unlimited hydro Miss Budweiser?

Don’t they have a separate class? Or, is “Top Gun” just “the” fastest in any class?

If the title goes to just the fastest, then next year there will be a rock-propelled boat!

Never the less, if Bud played by the rules, then tip your hat to their cleverness.

Mrs 283Check 08-27-2002 11:55 AM

It was a fun weekend! But I would have to agree that it didn't seem very fair for Miss Bud to go and capture Top Gun when there were really no other boats of her type for competition - no other hydro boats. At least the Callen team and David Scott had a chance of beating the other. Also, they were allowing Bud to make their exhibition runs and then go back and do their competitive runs which seemed like they were getting an unfair advantage over the rest of the racers.

Category6 08-27-2002 11:55 AM

From the phtos I saw, it looked like everyone was enjoying themselves. It would be a shame if the Shootout was no more.
I agree...BUT, what type of boat is the Callen, don't they manufacture Vee Hull's?

Shorty 08-27-2002 11:56 AM

It's not that Miss Bud didn't technically play by the rules, it's just that it looked like a cheap shot. Miss Bud usually shows up, but only for exhibition. If they had been upfront about running Miss Bud as an entry from the beginning that would have been different. They only decided to run Miss Bud when the Baccardi Silver boat (the local favorite also sponsered by Bud) got beat by Callan Marine.

Would Callan have hauled the two boats, crew, and staff up here knowing that Miss Bud was going to run for real? Maybe, but who knows. Will Callan come to it next year? Well I hope so but who could blame them if they don't bother to show up.

I just think a stunt like this is detrimental to the shootout drawing big out of state entries in the future.

Next thing you know, #8 will be running on the go-cart track cause Auggie's grandson got beat.

Mrs 283Check 08-27-2002 12:16 PM

Originally posted by Mach1Shorty

Next thing you know, #8 will be running on the go-cart track cause Auggie's grandson got beat.

:D :D :D

jdnca1 08-27-2002 12:27 PM

Didn't I say the "Miss BUD" would take the Top-gun title in a thread from a couple of months back? Bottom line is its very difficult to compete against "corporate" $$$, it will always be that way...so lets get used to it. ;) :p I agree that they need a "Hydro" class....OR seperate them by creating a dedicated class for "Turbines"..:cool:

tachyon 08-27-2002 12:31 PM

Curiously (i.e. exhibition boat), Villwock lined up in the start box on Saturday and ran 156mph after having trouble getting on plane. The start was changed Saturday night for the direct drive entries. The start box was extended from 50 feet to 500 feet. Racers were notified at the driver's meeting Sunday morning. It is unfortunate the rules weren't left alone. The Barcadi and Callan boat's time were substantially the same Sunday as Saturday. Miss Bud seemed to benefit far more turning the 192mph with more room to get on plane on account of the rule change. I think alot of people were surprised to see Miss Bud run competively. I am far more surprised at the rule change to the start Satuday night that only seemed to benefit one boat.

MnFastBoat 08-27-2002 12:47 PM

Originally posted by Mrs 283Check
It was a fun weekend! But I would have to agree that it didn't seem very fair for Miss Bud to go and capture Top Gun when there were really no other boats of her type for competition - no other hydro boats. At least the Callen team and David Scott had a chance of beating the other. Also, they were allowing Bud to make their exhibition runs and then go back and do their competitive runs which seemed like they were getting an unfair advantage over the rest of the racers.
I totally agree :)
I was one of many that was waiting at the start line. One of many that sat there waiting, waiting, and more waiting for th Bud Hydro to run. And then to listen to hte radio that they will run an exhibition run and then return because they JUST now entered as a competitor boat???
Like many have said here and on another post, it was just to BUY the cover.
For how many years have they been exhibitors. And then they want to do BOTH.
Dave Scott was not allowed to run both radar and exhibitor passes. Neither was Callan. That I know of anyone. Feel free to correct me.
It did not seem fair, but corporate america has never been fair.
Good luck to those who ran and won. And to those of us who did run and not win :( we all are in it for the fun :)
I am glad I had a chance to participate in a great weekend.

jb 08-27-2002 12:50 PM

UUHH not sure the dilema here. Not being sarcastic, but whats wrong with miss Bud being Top Gun. They Were the fastest weren't they? Is it the issue of a corporate team smoking a local or undersponsored team? Fill me in if you like, but from the perspective of an out of towner who is not up on the politics of the event, it sure sounds legit.
Maybe they should not allow "professionals" enter. I dont know who callan Marine even is, are they a racing team??

From my point of view, If there were more Miss Bud or famous race boats entering, the event would only get bigger.
I hope to attend one of these years. I hear only great things. I should go soon before there is a major accident and all is cancelled with speed approaching 200mph

T2x 08-27-2002 01:05 PM

JB:

I agree........................If Bacardi can be sponsored and David Scott took Bud's money for his "pleasure boat" then what's good for the goose......................

By the way..........You better all hope no drag boats show up next year..........................

T2x

tanned fat looks better 08-27-2002 01:16 PM

Originally posted by T2x
JB:

By the way..........You better all hope no drag boats show up next year..........................

T2x

Boats dressed up like women????

Frequency 08-27-2002 01:26 PM

Watching from the sidelines, it just seemed unfair the way they went about it. One could argue that it was unfair for the turbine powered Callan boat to challenge the Bacardi boat, but the Callan boat did not wait to see how the Bacardi boat was running - then decide to compete. During the course of the day it appeared that Budweiser decided they were going to win one way or another. When it was clear that the Callan boat was going to spank the Bacardi boat, Miss Budweiser went from "exhibitor" to "competitor". We all know Miss Bud is the fastest, they just should have went in as a competitor from the beginning.

cigarette1 08-27-2002 01:29 PM

Originally posted by T2x

T2x

I'm wondering .... is the speed calc'd over the whole kilo or is it the actual speed through a measured trap ....

The drag boats could idle up until the last 1\4 mile and then ............. :D

Easy 200's

G

Dean Ferry 08-27-2002 01:32 PM

Sounds like the "Rules" were changed on Sat. night?:( And Too Old is correct, in that, it's all for a good cause, and if it's now becoming "Political" then, it taints the event, and the good cause suffers!
MD

Shorty 08-27-2002 01:34 PM

You know what would be funny though? What if Powerboat puts a small picture of Miss Bud on the cover in a corner with a BIG picture of the Callan Boat.... PB Magazine just said the winner would be on the cover, not how big the picture would be! :p :p

283CHECK 08-27-2002 01:45 PM

I too agree that it would be a legit "Top Gun" if they would have entered as a competitor when they showed up. Not after making 3 or 4 demo runs with the last demo run showing that the rule change was in their favor! Having a bud product on the cover of power boat will probably help there sales. If they put Callan on the cover that would only help out that company. If I understand correctly Callan is a smaller company that is starting to produce pleasure sport crusers(please correct me if I am wrong). So Auggie tossed out the money to make sure his product was on the cover instead of lettin it be and a smaller start up company..

BTW did Auggie have to pay the Lake Shoot Out group for the demo runs???? If not they should send him a bill for each demo run. Heck If I wanted to run 4 or 5 times I know it would not have been for free!!!

bmpnugls 08-27-2002 01:55 PM

I'm kind of mixed on this topic..... Sure, Top Gun should go to the overall fastest boat....BUT, I think it's a little unfair putting turbine powered boats against reciprocating internal combustion engine boats .... However, in the same breath,,,,,, it is unbelievable to see reciprocating internal combustion engine boats running right with these turbine powered monsters....(And, I do mean Callan Marine and Miss Budweiser)

I think it's a hell of a lot more 'cool' to see a boat which could be used as a true 'pleasure' boat run 165+ mph (and up to 188 in N.C. at Reggies Shootout) vs. a full out race hydroplane only going 192 mph!!!!!!! Now that is KICK ASS! Dave Scott should be very proud of his boat and it's accomplishments.

I'd vote for next year there being a split award in Top Gun - one for reciprocating internal combustion engine power and one for Turbine power....This way the race could still draw the big turbine powered boats too...and it would 'seem' a lot more fair.

Just my 0.02....

Dean Ferry 08-27-2002 01:56 PM

283 Check,
You are correct in that Callan Marine is a Boat manufacter that is going to start producing the C-55 in a pleasure version.

http://www.callanmarine.com/

All I can say is, IF Callan comes back next year, WATCH OUT! These guys are some of the most down to earth NICE guys you would ever meet, BUT, when they get jacked around.....:mad:
MD

Frequency 08-27-2002 02:06 PM

Note

I had the pleasure of pulling out at the PB#2 ramp next to Dave Scott. We talked as we waited for our trailers. A real gentlemen who was happy to spend time with the fans. And the Bacardi boat - DANG!!!! :D :D

tachyon 08-27-2002 02:43 PM

bmpnugls,

Yes, turbines are monsters. Reciprocating internal combustion engines can also be monsters. The three basic variables to increase hp in a reciprocating engine include increasing the displacement (we're already seeing blocks over 700ci), increase air (add turbocharger or supercharger), and increase the energy of the fuel (add octane, NO2 or Nitromethane). In the case of Barcardi, they are running big displacement, a blower and probably 116 octane. The sum of these three variables could yield 1800hp. I think that qualifies as a monster. If it doesn't, then keep increasing the variables - a typical dragster (8.9L displacement) with a supercharger produces 6000+hp. I'd take the turbines reliability at these speeds on water of all the monsters. Turbines don't seize on failure like reciprocating engines do.

There should only be one Topgun just as there should be only one set of rules for both Sat. and Sunday.

283CHECK 08-27-2002 02:49 PM

There should only be one Topgun just as there should be only one set of rules for both Sat. and Sunday.
That also begs the question, who requested the rule change and why was it made Sat. night and not Sat. before the start of the event?:rolleyes:

SummerObsession 08-27-2002 02:51 PM

Having been at the shootout Saturday for the first time, I can also tell you that it WILL be the LAST time if they are going to operate this way!:mad:
I think that the guys with big egos and big pocketbooks have gotten WAY out of control!
Youknow, it's not like the shootout pays huge bucks to be the "Top Gun". So what is the motivation here? Plain and simple, jealousy, ego, and greed. Way to go boys, ya got three (counting ego as lust of a different sort) of the seven deadly already!:eek:
I guess on a more positive note, we can all look forward to the unlimited hydroplane races at LOTO next year:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Bud guys and shootout guys (whoever they may be):
GET A LIFE!!!!!!

OBTW: Congrats to both Callan and David Scott. Very cool boats.

Tbonepmp 08-27-2002 02:52 PM

I TOTALLY AGREE!!!!

Originally posted by Mach1Shorty
It's not that Miss Bud didn't technically play by the rules, it's just that it looked like a cheap shot. Miss Bud usually shows up, but only for exhibition. If they had been upfront about running Miss Bud as an entry from the beginning that would have been different. They only decided to run Miss Bud when the Baccardi Silver boat (the local favorite also sponsered by Bud) got beat by Callan Marine.

Would Callan have hauled the two boats, crew, and staff up here knowing that Miss Bud was going to run for real? Maybe, but who knows. Will Callan come to it next year? Well I hope so but who could blame them if they don't bother to show up.

I just think a stunt like this is detrimental to the shootout drawing big out of state entries in the future.

WONDER HOW MUCH BUD DROPPED ON THAT PURCHASE!!!!!!!:mad: :rolleyes:

dockrocker 08-27-2002 03:04 PM

Perhaps it's time to invoke the power of OSO? Who's got an e-mail address for the Shootout organizers (not to mention the local papers and Powerboat magazine)?

I say we let them know exactly how we feel about what looks to be special accomodations made for Miss Bud...

283CHECK 08-27-2002 03:17 PM

Just sent

a email to [email protected] with a link to this thread. Lets see if we get a response. That was to only email address on the shootout board.

Mrs 283Check 08-27-2002 03:23 PM

Just Sent Also

I also sent a link to this page to The Lake Sun Leader at [email protected] to see if they were interested in what the spectators thought of the outcome of the Shootout.

283CHECK 08-27-2002 03:28 PM

Uh, you and I think way too much alike!! I thinkin about startin in on Topsiders:mad: :D

Mrs 283Check 08-27-2002 03:32 PM

Originally posted by 283CHECK
Uh, you and I think way too much alike!! I thinkin about startin in on Topsiders:mad: :D
:D :D :D :D

T2x 08-27-2002 03:38 PM

Welcome to racing 101. Typically:

1. A bunch of guys get together and arrange a local race, shootout, rally....whatever.

2. The event is fun and get's some headlines.

3. Some big shot locals go out and buy a bigger faster gizmo and become "King of the Pond".

4. Bigger big shots show up from further away and take the "Title".

5. The event becomes bigger than it had any right to be and the "Title" begins to have far reaching implications, until REALLY big shots get involved.

6. The locals aren't having fun anymore, and the event get's away from them. The loudest complainers are generally the original local big shots, who now are totally outclassed, but who originally rubbed other local yokels noses in their superiority.

7. Decision time....... Are we Bonneville?.......or are we a church social?

This has happened in everything from cub scout pinewood derby cars, to outboard hydro racing, to limited inboard racing, to stock cars, and now to shoot outs.

If you dance with the devil don't complain about the burns on your feet.

T2x

P.S. : Magazine covers (and certain TV shows) are always for sale.......This is not news.

jb 08-27-2002 03:39 PM

so auggie knew what his efforts would get him! He figures he can get a lot of free advertising if he won the shootout. Not a bad investment in my eyes. What is wrong with that.
So the question that should be asked now is......

When is the fastest boat in the shootout not "Top Gun"?

Who cares who put it there.

Then make top gun the fastest piston powered boat, and the turbines exhibition class only.

I bet Auggie would pull out an old Miss bud from the moth balls with the piston power and still smoke everyone!!!
Now that would be cool!
Don Aronow could drive it

LOL

Mrs 283Check 08-27-2002 03:49 PM

Originally posted by jb
so auggie knew what his efforts would get him! He figures he can get a lot of free advertising if he won the shootout. Not a bad investment in my eyes. What is wrong with that.
So the question that should be asked now is......

When is the fastest boat in the shootout not "Top Gun"?

Who cares who put it there.

Then make top gun the fastest piston powered boat, and the turbines exhibition class only.

I bet Auggie would pull out an old Miss bud from the moth balls with the piston power and still smoke everyone!!!
Now that would be cool!
Don Aronow could drive it

LOL

I'm not sure that Miss Bud winning the Shoot Out is the entire point here. I think it has to do more with the special allowances and sudden rule changes that might of assisted in that win.

On the topic of turbine powered boats there was one there "Flash Gordon" and someone correct me if I'm wrong but it looked like it was just somebody's boat. Had an open cockpit on it. He even brought it out and tied it up to watch the races on Sunday.

BK 08-27-2002 03:50 PM

Originally posted by T2x
Welcome to racing 101. Typically:

1. A bunch of guys get together and arrange a local race, shootout, rally....whatever.

2. The event is fun and get's some headlines.

3. Some big shot locals go out and buy a bigger faster gizmo and become "King of the Pond".

4. Bigger big shots show up from further away and take the "Title".

5. The event becomes bigger than it had any right to be and the "Title" begins to have far reaching implications, until REALLY big shots get involved.

6. The locals aren't having fun anymore, and the event get's away from them. The loudest complainers are generally the original local big shots, who now are totally outclassed, but who originally rubbed other local yokels noses in their superiority.

7. Decision time....... Are we Bonneville?.......or are we a church social?

This has happened in everything from cub scout pinewood derby cars, to outboard hydro racing, to limited inboard racing, to stock cars, and now to shoot outs.

If you dance with the devil don't complain about the burns on your feet.

T2x

P.S. : Magazine covers (and certain TV shows) are always for sale.......This is not news.

T2x ~
aka Swami! It took me 40 years to learn this! You are so correct. This same explanation can apply to every event and every club that has ever made it big. To stay big, everyone must deal with some sacrifices along the way. Convincing the members to accept those sacrifices is the key.

Maybe they need to hire Garbrecht :)

jafo 08-27-2002 03:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally posted by jb
Or Master Tire could bring their's down- no need to take it out of moth balls! They are the only piston to still run the Gold Cup.
Sweet Allison power!

283CHECK 08-27-2002 03:53 PM

First off I was not a competitor, just a spectator. I think(smell the smoke:D )the main issue here is that Miss Bud attempted the standing start on Sat. in a demo and the speed was not there. Then Sunday morning it was anounced that the start would increase from 50 to 500 ft. which proved to help Miss B speed wise(demo btw) but did not appear to help Bacardi or Callan. Once that appeared to be the case Auggie ponied up the money to register to make a competition run. Also it is my understanding that Bacardi and Callan was not making demo runs to test the waters(so to speak)? They arrived as compititors from the get go, Miss B did not.. Again this is my understanding of the events and timelines please correct me if I am wrong. I have nothing wrong with Miss B being crowned topgun if they showed up and played along with anyone else. But to show up and do 3 or 4 demo runs and not like the way it works, then the rules change:confused: make another demo and hey look 190 lets compete? I myself don't think that is fair to Bacardi or Callan and from what I seen while I was there they had a good race goin!!

T2x 08-27-2002 04:14 PM

283.......................Where is it written that life is fair?

BK.......................... If the Bud was there.....Garbrecht can't be far behind

T2x