Remembering Tom Newby: Connecting The Dots

Notices

Remembering Tom Newby: Connecting The Dots

Old 09-11-2014, 12:41 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,230 Posts
Default Remembering Tom Newby: Connecting The Dots

Our friend is gone, but we will never forget him, http://speedonthewater.com/in-the-ne...cting-the-dots
Old 09-11-2014, 12:48 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I met him when he came for a TOPPS Poker Run here in 2007 or 8. He was just such a decent friendly guy. He took a picture of my newborn daughter and put her in Powerboat as "the littlest poker runner". So glad to have met him.
Old 09-11-2014, 01:27 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I Have that Pic on the wall in my Living room right now, Has been there since it came out. Do you see Vicki any?? Gail & Jerry Nordskog stay at my house from time to time, Not as much anymore since the kids are getting older.
Old 09-11-2014, 04:16 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

He was an amazing talent and equally great guy. Miss him and all his great work.

Chris Reindl
Old 09-11-2014, 06:06 PM
Registered

Received 48 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks for posting Matt-

Didn't know Tom but have the pic mounted and hanging in the shop since it was issued.
One of my all time favorites- I'll think of Tom now each time I see it..
Old 09-11-2014, 08:13 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

Tom's photo of my wife and I while on her first and her last Poker Run ....

Little did we know we were going to make it in POWERBOAT Magazine ....

I will never forget looking up at him just off our deck and then saying to my wife, "Wow! That must be such a cool job to have..... "

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 09-11-2014, 11:02 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 554 Likes on 263 Posts

I wrote that story, totally remember you guys. What a fun trip that was!

Originally Posted by On Time
I met him when he came for a TOPPS Poker Run here in 2007 or 8. He was just such a decent friendly guy. He took a picture of my newborn daughter and put her in Powerboat as "the littlest poker runner". So glad to have met him.
Old 09-12-2014, 09:51 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 84 Likes on 31 Posts

Tragic events have a funny way of affecting people. They tend to bring out the worst and the best and can motivate you to follow your heart.
I first met Tom in 2003 when he shot the NJPPC Atlantic City Poker Run for Powerboat Magazine. We had a great weekend down in A/C as always and Tom made it that much better. It was my first run in my new 2003 Kryptonite and I was super excited to get my first pics of my first real offshore boat. Thankfully Tom and the helicopter caught me running hard just before the boat shut down. Well, that's how it goes. It wasn't the first nor last of my breakdowns. That however is not the whole of the story.

I (as everyone) was stunned by the events of 9/11/01. I also lived and breathed it very closely for many months here in NJ as a volunteer EMT. It was at that point where I said to myself "self, you need to follow your dreams and make this life the best that you can!" I made every effort to surround myself with good people, eliminate drama, and focus on working hard so I could get that dream boat I always wanted. Well fast forward to 2003 and the Kryptonite & Tom Newby. Life was good but I wanted the brass ring of a a "real" offshore boat. So, staying true to my pursuits, I sold my Kryptonite in August of 2007 and went on the hunt for a boat. I always loved the sit sown V boats and was in between a Gladiator and a ZrComp. (Outerlimits were a little too far out of reach) My friend Bob was a Donzi dealer and had been on the hunt for a good used Comp for me and was pursuing the 2003 leftover Donzi had been using for promos.
As fate would have it, Tom Newby was tragically killed on 9/11/2007. Bob went to his funeral with many in the industry including Matt Trulio and Lee Kimmel of Donzi. During the funeral, I get a call from Bob asking how serious was I about buying a Comp. I told him very. He said I'll call you back in 5 minutes. Three minutes later the phone rings and he says I can get you the boat and trailer for $xxx but I need an answer now before they change their minds.

And just like that, I bought a boat sight unseen down in Florida while I was in NJ and the deal was made in California at Tom Newby's Funeral. I think Tom would have been laughing his head off at that!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]529434[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Remembering Tom Newby: Connecting The Dots-20254_1255394938114_1026794073_30646290_5908758_n.jpg  

Last edited by Tom A.; 09-12-2014 at 09:54 AM.
Old 09-11-2015, 08:50 AM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

Remembering Tom Newby today... Godspeed

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !